PDA

View Full Version : Changing My Life One Workout at a Time

McLaughlin
06-11-2009, 05:03 PM
NO MORE EXCUSES!

Hi everyone. Some of you may know me or remember me, and others may not. My name is Will and I really enjoy working out. For the last 8 months or so I've done nothing but make excuses and half assed attempts at getting back into the gym. But now things have changed.

Yesterday I turned 23. I had already been doing a lot of thinking the last two weeks, about life and where I'm headed, about my goals and "dreams" if you could call them that. And I realized that nothing in life comes easy... we all know that, but it's easy to forget. I decided it was time for a change.

So today I'm making a new start. I've set a five year goal academically to get into college and get a bachelor degree by the time I'm 28. I've also set short and long term lifting goals, short to be reached by the time I'm 24, and long to be reached whenever I reach them. Beyond that who knows, but for now, this is where I stand.

The Current
These are my current "stats" as they pertain to my training. I'm going to be focusing on 'the big 3' lifts, Squat, Bench, and Deadlift. I'm also going to focus on cardio.

Age - 23 (June 10 Birthday)
Height - 5'7
Edit:Body Weight - 185

Squat - 155 x 5 x 3
Bench - 105 x 5 x 3
DeadL - 185 x 5 x 1

Running - MAYBE a mile at a certainly awful time.

The Goals
Here are my goals, again short term are my 1 year goals, I want to hit or exceed them by the time I turn 24. I'm sure a lot of people will say this is easy and won't be a problem, and I hope they're right.

Short Term
S - 225 x 5
B - 185 x 5
D - 315 x 5

Running - 3 miles - 21 minutes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's my long term goals, no specific time-line set for when to reach these, but we'll see how things go.

Long Term
S - 315 x 5
B - 275 x 5
D - 405 x 5

Running - 8 miles - under an hour
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Routine
Here's the routine I plan to use for the first 3-4 months of my training. it worked well for me when I worked out in the past, and I think it will work out well again for me.

3-Day Full Body
-S- warm-up then 3x5
-B- warm-up then 3x5
-D- warm-up then 3x5
Walk/Jog/Run - 1 mile (Some combination of the 3, not 3 separate miles)

That will be the core of my workout. The other things I may include will be:

Seated Overhead Press
Lat Pull-Downs
Seated Straight-Back Rows
Dips
Pull/Chin ups

The reason for seated rather than standing OHP is due to a low clearance in my rack at home, if/when I get a gym membership in September this will change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm currently living in Cloquet, MN and have no gym membership, in September I'm getting married and moving down to San Antonio, TX, where I will most certainly get a gym membership, and also gain 2 training partners (a friend from work and his brother). My routine will be about due to change by then anyway, so I'll post any updates as they come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now for diet. It's very common to see people bulking or cutting while working out, with specific body weights and bf % in mind. Normally I'd have some type of goal to go along with that but this time I'm not so sure. I'm going to focus mainly on getting into a steady lifting routine again, and eating better than I have been, in order to lose fat while maintaining roughly the same weight. I've got a gut now, from not working out, and I'd really like to be rid of it. I'm hoping that between the eating changes and the cardio I'm implementing I should be able to be rid of it without too much problem.

I have an account on The Daily Plate, and am thinking of upgrading to their "Gold" membership. I'm also considering the "Fat Loss Stack" from ALN, but need more information about it first. Anyone that can tell me more about it is welcome to post. Here are the specific questions I have:

1. If you've used it... is it worth it?
2. Roughly how long does it last?
3. When do you take which components, and how much do you take?

If you guys can answer those questions for me I'll be most grateful.

I mentioned eating changes above, this is my intent:
--Cutting out these foods--
Candy
Chips
Cookies
Cake
Doughnuts
Soda
Energy Drinks
French Fries
Ice Cream
Deep Fried (everything)

I've done it before with no problems, and I'm sure that I can do it again. The cool thing is that the more I get into the health and fitness bit, the more my fiancÚ is becoming interested, which is pretty awesome.

Thanks for stopping by my journal, hopefully some of you will follow it regularly, as it always helps to have regular comments/criticisms along the way, but even if you don't, I'll still be posting.

-Will

McLaughlin
06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
06/11 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First day back, it was ugly:
- Squat -
Bar x 5
135 x 5
155 x 5 x 3
- Bench -
Bar x 5
095 x 5
105 x 5 x 3
- DeadL -
135 x 5
185 x 5

~~~~~~~~~~
I felt really REALLY tired after this (just finished about 30 minutes ago). I feel like I'm going to puke.

KoSh
06-11-2009, 05:24 PM
keep at it. Your numbers should shoot up in no time.

McLaughlin
06-13-2009, 03:09 PM
06/13 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still sore from Thurs, but added weight.
- Bench -
Bar x 5
095 x 5
115 x 5 x 3
- Squat -
095 x 5
145 x 5
165 x 5 x 3
- DeadL -
135 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
~~~~~~~~~~
Didn't feel nearly as sick after this as on Thursday. It feels so effing good to get back under the bar. I love it.

McLaughlin
06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
06/15 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I LOVE THIS STUFF
- Squat -
bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5 x 3
This was super tough (the last set of 185) but I nailed it.
- Bench -
Bar x 5
095 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
125 x 4
125 x 5
Ok so could have been 125 x 5 x 3, but on the middle set I felt a fail coming after 4, and didn't want to risk it with no spotter... been there, had that happen, and it sucks.
- DeadL -
135 x 5
205 x 5
275 x 1 x 2
Wanted to go big on deads today and was happy with 275 x 1 x 2
~~~~~~~~~~
Didn't feel sick at all after this, just hungry. Also I'm not really that sore anymore.

I am thinking of adding more volume to my workouts... what do you guys think?

KoSh
06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
I'd say no. More volume doesn't always mean better workout.

But do what works for you.

McLaughlin
06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the advice man. Changed things a little today, just to see how it would go.

06/18 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Bench -
Bar x 5
095 x 5
115 x 5
125 x 5
130 x 5 x 2
Maybe the 130 should have been 5 x 3, but I did 125 x 5, and 2 sets of 130, so I figure that equates to 3 working sets. Next time I'll shoot for 130 x 5 x 3 or 135 x 5 x 3.
- SOHP -
bar x 10
65 x 5
75 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5
95 x 4 - couldn't get 5, only made it 1/2 way up and had to let it down.
This was a nice little addition to my workout, I enjoyed it, and I don't think it hurt my squat or deadlift. Also the upper body work is supposed to help my bench... isn't it?
- Squat -
bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5 x 3
Didn't add weight this time, 185 is real tough for me and I wanted to spend a little extra time with it to make sure I'm spot on with my form before bumping the weight up too fast.
- DeadL -
135 x 5
205 x 5
255 x 3
255 x 5
Instead of going for high weight today I wanted to find a comfortable number for reps. Seems like 255 is not bad, I'm going to go for 255 x 5 x 3 next time.
Edit:
- Pull ups -
(that's with palms facing out right? if not then it was chin ups ;))
bw x 2 x 3
I'm horrible at these, but the only way to get better is to practice.
~~~~~~~~~~
Feeling awesome. I love working out. Advice/comments/criticism is appreciated and encouraged.

Thanks guys.

McLaughlin
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
06/20 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Squat -
bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5 x 2
195 x 5
- Bench -
Bar x 5
095 x 5
135 x 5 x 2
135 x 3 x 2
Couldn't hit 5 on the 3rd set, so I tried again and only got 3 that time too.
But on the + side, 135 is higher than I was at on Thursday.
- OHP -
Bar x 5
095 x 2 (this was utter failure after 2nd rep)
065 x 5
085 x 5 x 2
~~
Ok normally I would have done DL right now, but my dad has been going a little crazy in the garage so there was 3 boat motors in my way as well as a large pallet and a snowmobile. So I moved on to some other exercises. (Even though nothing can really substitute for DL. :(
~~
- Seated Row -
050 x 5
100 x 5 x 2
120 x 5
- Lat Pulldown -
100 x 5 x 3
- Bent Over Rows -
bar x 5
065 x 5
085 x 5
- Hang Clean -
085 x 5

~~

Ok so I didn't get deads in... which SUCKS, but I managed to tire myself out pretty decently and I new numbers on my Squat and Bench, so I'm at least pretty damn happy with that :D

Also on a side note, I lifted in flip flops today due to ripping my toe-nail off with pliers last night. There's a thread about that in the General Section though, no need to discuss here.

As always, feel free to comment, criticize or whatever on my routine. I love the feedback.

KoSh
06-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Get the deads in, man!

Move some stuff, consider it GPP!!

:)

McLaughlin
06-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Get the deads in, man!

Move some stuff, consider it GPP!!

:)

Thanks for the frequent comments man. I ended up doing exactly that today, but didn't do too much with DL's anyway... see below I guess.
~~

06/22 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Bench -
Bar x 5
095 x 5
145 x 3 x 2
140 x 3
140 x 1 - failed on 2
135 x 1 - failed on 2
I think I need to slow my progression attempts on Bench, yeah I've been doing more weight, but not for the full 5 reps. On a happier note, 145 only 10 lbs away from the most weight I've ever benched, so I'm coming back nicely.
- Squat -
bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5 x 2 NEW PR
I can't even say how exciting this is to me. Always wanted to break 200 on squats, and now I'm 20lbs from 2 plates. Kind of a dream come true for me I guess... which might be lame but hey, we all gotta aim for something.
- DeadL -
135 x 5
205 x 5
205 x 1
Holy crap and WTF right? Yeah, after hitting high numbers on Bench and Squat I totally sucked **** on Deads today. I'm starting to understand why people say not to do the big 3 every time you work out. So now on my two rest days I'm going to try and work out an alternate set up so I don't have more failure like this in my workouts.
~~

All-in-all I am still VERY pleased with this workout. I ****ing rocked Squats and my bench progression is awesome.

Next time I'm going to focus on sets of 5 for bench, so maybe 140 x 5 x 2 or something close to that. Also going to try for 215 on squats since that has been going so nicely for me.

Not sure how the new routine will look but I'd really like to comfortably rep 275 for 5 on the deads as well.

It's good to have goals. Post some feedback if you want.

Twirl
06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
well I still got you on Bench and DL but we're doing the same squat numbers for the time being =). Keep up the good work bro but need to listen to Kosh and do some heavy pulling consistantly.

Did you ever check us out on youtube? (Tampa Bay Damage)

Twirl
06-24-2009, 05:44 PM
No session today man?

McLaughlin
06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
No session today man?

I work out in the evening after work. Today it'll be around 8:30 or so.

Also, those videos of you guys were really cool, makes me want to try paintball.

~~

And now for something journal related.

I'm going to try the warrior diet. There's a few sites with information about it + I also bought the book "The Warrior Diet" (2nd edition) by Oli Hofmekler. He was in the Israeli Special Forces and has written a couple other books as well.

I'm excited to try it at least, I read a few threads on this site about people that have tried it with great success, so we'll see how it goes.

slashkills
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Our numbers are pretty close, ill be following your progress. Is there any reason you are following this routine(the big 3 every day) as you get stronger you may stop progressing with that and may need to add more auxillary work like DB bench, rows, and such. Something like wendlers 531. Only reason i say that is because i stalled quick doing this. It seems to be working for you know, so stick with it for as long as you can though.

McLaughlin
06-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Our numbers are pretty close, ill be following your progress. Is there any reason you are following this routine(the big 3 every day) as you get stronger you may stop progressing with that and may need to add more auxillary work like DB bench, rows, and such. Something like wendlers 531. Only reason i say that is because i stalled quick doing this. It seems to be working for you know, so stick with it for as long as you can though.

Thanks for the support, and for the advice. I really like big 3 3x per week, but been trying to figure out a routine to do after this, or just modding it to an A day B day routine and doing the ABA BAB set up. Guess we'll see.

~~
06/25 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Squat -
bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
215 x 5 - PR but felt easy
225 x 5 x 2 -- This has been a goal of mine for over a year. It felt amazing. Don't really know what else to say except that it was ****ing awesome and it's a new P-mother-****ing-R.
- Bench - -- weak **** after that awesome squat series.
Bar x 5
095 x 5
145 x 3
145 x 1 -- was pissed at this, I need to stop focusing on the numbers so much.
115 x 5
125 x 5 x 2
I need to stop trying to move up weight so fast on bench... it's not like squat, and my arms are weak as hell.
- Dips -
BW x 5 x 1 - This was rough, I'm one tubby bitch.

- DeadL -
135 x 6
205 x 3
275 x 3

Thinking I have the same problem with dead as I do with bench, I need to slow my attempts at forcing progress and just work gradually up through the weight.

~~

All-in-all I'm THRILLED with the squats in this workout, but kind of ashamed of the rest of it. I need to get my act together and hit GOOD FULL sets on all lifts, not just the one I like best ;)

~~

Other than that, pretty pumped for day 2 of the warrior diet (tomorrow).

As always, thoughts, criticism, comments, or advice is always appreciated.

benno
06-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Good stuff bro! Workouts are looking good! As kosh said, keep at it your weights will sky rocket in no time.

Best of luck on ur goals!

slashkills
06-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Awesome PR man! You just passed me up on squat.

McLaughlin
06-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Just looked up my original journal from last summer and found some interesting stuff:
First workout: 6/28/08
Squat 115 x 5 x 6
Bench 115 x 5 x 6

First set of deads: 7/2/08
Dead 135 x 5 x 2
Dead 155 x 5 x 1

~~Best ever lifts: (big 3)
Squat 255 x 5 - 10/13/08 - According to the journal my form was real poor at the time. So that 225 PR stands because my form is spot-on now.
Bench 155 x 5 - 10/15/08 - I was surprised at this, I can't even rep 145 for 5 now.
Dead 275 x 5 - 10/24/08 - I'm so CLOSE, 275 x 3 is my current best, but back at that time I'd done 300 x 1 and 305 x 1, which is more than I could get now.
~~Best ever other lifts:
HangCleans - 115 x 5 - 10/15/08 - Thinking of starting these up again.
OHP - 105 x 5 - 10/22/08 - Kinda close on this... well 20 lbs off ><
Inc Bench - 105 x 5 - 10/22/08 - Don't really do this anymore... maybe I should.

So yea that's it. Still have today's workout to do, here's my goals:
Squat 225 x 5 x 3
Bench 135 x 5 x 3
OHP 95 x 5 x 3
Hang Clean 95 x 5 x 3

I think those are all do-able, we'll see how it goes and I'll post back later.

depotman
06-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Nice job man, keep up the good work. I just started SS and I my numbers are fairly low so I will be checking in here for input and motivation.

McLaughlin
06-27-2009, 04:57 PM
06/27 - Workout etc:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Squat -
bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5 x 3 - Met my goal for today! Woohoo!
- Bench -
Bar x 5
095 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5 x 3 - Met my goal for today! Woohoo!
- OHP -
Bar x 5
55 x 5
65 x 5
85 x 5 x 3 - Not quite goal, but 3 solid sets felt good.
- Dips -
BW x 5 x 5 - Most dips I've done in a LONG time, they felt good though.
- Pull Ups -
BW x 2 x 2
BW x 1 x 2 - These are REALLY hard for me, especially after a hard workout like this.

~~

Overall VERY happy with my numbers from my day. I hit all my goals.

You might wonder why I didn't do Hang Cleans, and that's because one of my stoppers got lost... My dad was working in the garage over the weekend so I'm guessing it fell and landed under something. I couldn't find it though and I looked all around.

Also big news!

Got my brother to start working out today, showed him how to do all the lifts.
Here's him: (First time EVER lifting)
--SQUAT--
Bar x 5 x 2
65 x 5
85 x 5 x 2
95 x 5
--BENCH--
Bar x 5
65 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 1
85 x 4
85 x 3
--OHP--
Bar x 5
55 x 5 x 2
--DIPS--
bw x 4
bw x 3
bw x 3
~~

Very proud of him for his first time out. If he sticks with it for a month or so I'll have him set up his own account, but for now I'll just post his workouts with mine, since we'll be working out together.

~~

Well that's all folks, comment, advise, etc.

LuNa
06-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Looking solid man. Really cool that your brother is starting weightlifting as well. He will make one hell of a training partner. Keep it up!

Hows the warrior diet going? Did you decide to keep doing it or wait untill you read the book completely?

slashkills
06-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Awesome PRs! Thats awesome you have your brother with you. You guys could really push each other to be great. I would love for my bro to workout with me but he is only 4.

McLaughlin
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Looking solid man. Really cool that your brother is starting weightlifting as well. He will make one hell of a training partner. Keep it up!

Hows the warrior diet going? Did you decide to keep doing it or wait untill you read the book completely?

Thanks man :D I'm excited to have someone to train with for once, I just hope he sticks with it.

I decided to take mr viking's advice on the warrior diet and read the book at least once first. Also it'll help to wait until I move to TX because then I'll be doing all my own shopping.

Awesome PRs! Thats awesome you have your brother with you. You guys could really push each other to be great. I would love for my bro to workout with me but he is only 4.

Thanks! Yeah I was SUPER pumped when I hit that 225 squat, I was jumping around and yelling. I think it'll be great to work out with him for the 2 months I'm still here. That should be enough time to get him hooked, then I'll leave him my rack/weights and everything he needs to get huge.

McLaughlin
06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Ok so the dang site had some error that wouldn't let me post and got rid of all the text I typed.

I worked out today but won't be posting until tomorrow, sorry guys.

McLaughlin
06-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Didn't workout last night until 9:45 or so, so I was pretty tired.
-- 6/29 workout etc --
- Squat -
Bar x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 4 x 3 (PR kinda, but not 5 reps so whatever)
225 x 3
185 x 5
- Bench -
Trying to get my body more used to benching by increasing overall reps.
Bar x 5 (normal grip and narrow grip, 10 reps total)
095 x 5 (normal grip and narrow grip, 10 reps total)
115 x 5 (normal grip and narrow grip, 10 reps total)
125 x 5 (normal grip and narrow grip, 10 reps total)
- DeadL -
135 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 5
Trying to rebuild my DL with nice full sets of 5. Less trying to force higher weight, and more trying to get full sets of good form.
- Dips -
BW x 5 x 3 -- these are getting easy. Going to have to add weight I think.

~~

Overall a good workout. I really want to improve my upper body strength, hence the focus on benching, pressing (overhead) and dips lately.

Comments appreciated.

Brother didn't workout because it was so late at night.

McLaughlin
07-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Ok so I took some time off due to my back hurting a lot.

--Workout for 07/09/09--
Not feeling 100% but wanted to get something in at least.
--Squat--
Bar x 5
135 x 5
205 x 5 x 3
(Felt weak and tired, and towards the end was feeling a twinge in my back)
--Overhead Press--
Bar x 5
65 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5 x 3
105 x 4
These felt better than squats for some reason, but that last set at 105 was brutal. Failed 1/2 way up on rep 5 and missed the right peg when racking the weight.
--Dips--
bw x 5 x 3
These were pretty easy.

~~

First time since I started back up that I'm not happy with my workout. I really need to get my **** together.

McLaughlin
07-11-2009, 06:12 PM
~~
Workout for 7-11-09
~~
--Squat--
Warmup
Bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
Working Sets
215 x 5
225 x 5
235 x 5 x 2 PR
--Deadlift--
Warmup
135 x 5
185 x 5
Working Sets
235 x 5 x 2
Overhead Press
Warmup
bar x 5
65 x 8
85 x 5
Working Sets
95 x 5
105 x 3
95 x 5
Lat Pulldowns
Warmup
100 x 8
Working Sets
120 x 5 x 3
Benchpress
Warmup
95 x 5
115 x 5
Working Sets
135 x 3
125 x 5 x 3

~~

Happy with this workout... MUCH happier than the last one. PR on squats was good.

McLaughlin
09-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey everyone! (or anyone that reads this)

I just got married Sept 5 and moved to TX. I live in San Antonio and am looking at getting back into the gym.

Things got crazy up there in MN planning the move and the wedding and all that, but I'm ready to get back on the horse.

Not sure if any of you are in the San Antonio or Austin area, but I am now, and planning to stay. Anyone heard of "Joes Gym" or "Olympic Gym" in San Antonio? I was searching around the internet for a powerlifting gym and those are the two that came up. There's plenty of other options in town, but the only one I really know of is Gold's.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm back, and as soon as the wife gets a job, I'll be able to get back into the gym.

Adrian101
10-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey McLaughin, I know you're not in training mode yet, but I'm quite interested in your build. We're about the same size, just curious to see how I would look at 180. Maybe you can post some pics. Thanks if you can.

McLaughlin
10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Sure thing I'll throw up some pics in the next couple days here. Also going to be tracking my measurements here too (neck, bicep, waist, etc).

McLaughlin
10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Been tracking calories with fitday. At the end of my first week and here are the averages:
~~
Average Calories: 2505
Average Fats: 105.75
Average Carbohydrates: 282.04
Average Proteins: 110.77
~~
Unfortunately I don't have a scale, so I can't weigh myself. I did take pictures though which I'll be posting later today.
Average calories would have been about 2300 if it wasn't for Tuesday... Chicken + Biscuits + Gravy was a real killer.

Carbs are way too high, especially since I'm not working out. To reduce the carbs I'm going to remove jam from the sandwiches, and stop eating yogurt + pineapple every day. These things are very high carb for minimal gains elsewhere. I am going to double my tuna intake, and look into getting a multi vitamin.

With those changes, I'll be looking at something like this (M-F before dinner):
Cal - 839
Fat - 40.5
Carb - 63.6
Prot - 64
~~
Not too bad, add to that the chicken breast that I'll be having 5-6 days per week, as well as some veggies and skim milk, and I should be right around 1450-1500 calories for the day, with 61 fats, 95 carbs, 138.6 proteins.

So... I'll basically need to add about 500 calories per day of light snacks that are low fat low carb. Thinking to add extra milk in there, as that's always a healthy choice. Also contemplating getting some protein powder... but don't want a carb dense weight gaining type.

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey McLaughin, I know you're not in training mode yet, but I'm quite interested in your build. We're about the same size, just curious to see how I would look at 180. Maybe you can post some pics. Thanks if you can.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130098

Here's my pics thread.

Nik00117
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Get back to lifting :) One cool thing you should do (saw your pics) is take a picture of yourself EVERY MONTH on a set date. I take mine on the 1st. I can already see slight improvement in mine. Arms thicker etc.

Really pumped about next months pic :)

McLaughlin
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Get back to lifting :) One cool thing you should do (saw your pics) is take a picture of yourself EVERY MONTH on a set date. I take mine on the 1st. I can already see slight improvement in mine. Arms thicker etc.

Really pumped about next months pic :)

Very cool idea. I'm going to get my gym membership either Thursday or Friday, so I'll start taking new pictures in a month.

McLaughlin
10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Going to do WestSide for Skinny Bastards

Here's what I've chosen for my routine, based on the article:
(Lift x Rep x Set)
Monday:
Bench x 5 x 3 (max effort)
DB Incline Bench x 8 x 2
DB Decline Bench x 8 x 2
Seated Cable Rows x 12 x 2
Incline (chest supported) Rows x 12 x 2
Need something for my rear delts, but donno how to do anything they had listed as options
Hanging Leg Raise x 15 x 4
Cardio (Bike 20-30 minutes)

Wednesday
Squat x 5 x 3 (Max Effort)
Reverse Lunge x 10 x 2
Barbell Stepup x 10 x 2
Deadlift x 10 x 4
Grip Work

Friday
Bench Press x Burnout x 3
Rope Pushdowns x 10 x 2
Skull Crushers x 10 x 2
Lat Pulldowns x 10 x 4
Overhead Press x 10 x 3
Curls (any) x 8 x 3
Ab Work
Cardio (Bike or Jog 20-30 minutes)

~~

So that's the routine. I just got a check in the mail, so should be able to make it to the gym within the next day or two to get my membership started, and I'll start lifting Monday!! w00t.

Looking for advice on a rear delt movement that isn't real complicated with pulleys and cables and such.

Thanks!!

Coke
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Good luck in achieving your goals Will...also, congrats on recently getting married!!

McLaughlin
10-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Good luck in achieving your goals Will...also, congrats on recently getting married!!

Thanks so much!! I'm super excited to get back into the gym, soooo sick of feeling tired and crappy all the time.

And actually, talked to a co-worker here that goes to the gym a lot and he's going to take me along tomorrow, so I can actually start early :D So I'll be posting the results of my first workout tomorrow night.

McLaughlin
10-17-2009, 11:58 AM
First workout in the new gym:
I'm 193 today (morning weight, no food in me)
~~(The "Friday" of the routine I listed above)~~
Bench
Bar x 8
095 x 20
115 x 8
095 x 8
Rope Pushdowns
60 x 10
70 x 10
70 x 10
Lat Pulldowns
80 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 5
80 x 5
Standing OHP
Bar x 5
65 x 9
75 x 5
65 x 5
DB Curls
20's x 8
20's x 8
20's x 8
Hanging Leg Raise
4 sets of 10
Cardio
Biked about 5-10 minutes, will do more on monday.

~~

Not horrible for my first day back in a gym. I feel good about this routine and am excited to see what kind of progress I make on it.

Twirl
10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Damn man 193! You're bigger than me now. I really have to stop slacking off on my diet on the weekends! Congrats on getting back into the gym, its a good feeling. And welcome back to WBB =D

McLaughlin
10-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Damn man 193! You're bigger than me now. I really have to stop slacking off on my diet on the weekends! Congrats on getting back into the gym, its a good feeling. And welcome back to WBB =D

Heh bigger and fatter is all. Weekend diet is what's killing me too currently. You're right the gym is a good feeling, I just wish I liked this one.

Second workout in the new gym:
I'm 193 today, but this is in the afternoon so maybe it'll be different.
Starting this Friday I'll be working out in the mornings, so my weight readings will be more accurate/consistent.
~~(Back on track, here's Monday)~~
Bench
Bar x 8
095 x 8
115 x 5 x 3
DB Incline Bench
40 x 7
35 x 7
30 x 7
Going to try with 30's next time to hit 8 in my sets.
DB Decline Bench
25 x 8 x 2
Seated Cable Rows
80 x 12 x 2
Incline (chest supported) Rows
70 x 3 (omg heavy)
45 x 6 x 2
Seated Rear Delts
55 x 10 x 4
Hanging Leg Raise
one set 15 reps
two set 10 reps
~~

That's all for today. Holy hell I'm weak.

Can your workout be affected if you're uncomfortable in your gym? I personally hate the gym I go to and have only been there twice.

McLaughlin
10-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Workout:
Squat:
bar x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5 x 3
BB Reverse Lunge:
bar x 5 (left & right)
65 x 5 (left & right)
65 x 3 (left & right)
Deadlift:
135 x 8 x 2

~~

First day doing that part of the routine and man it rocked my world. I didn't even do the barbell step-ups and I was toast. Squats felt amazing, 185 was tough but doable. Deadlift was easy, but I was watching a video by rippetoe the other day and wanted to put into practice some of the things he said.

The only problem I can see in this routine down the road (i.e. within the next few weeks) is that squatting heavy and deadlifting heavy in the same day SUCKS... my lower back is going to detach from my body and run away screaming I think. (or maybe it'll just get stronger... I guess we'll see)

Anyway I still like this routine and am excited to continue it for 3-4 months.

Oh and scale said 198 today with my clothes on... so figure what? 195? 196?... either way that's progress!

Coke
10-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Doing very well at your new gym no matter how you feel about it...but yes, atmosphere is everything to some.

Twirl
10-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Oh and scale said 198 today with my clothes on... so figure what? 195? 196?... either way that's progress!

Damn man, what does your diet look like? How are you gaining these fable'd pounds? Lol good work man, keep it up!

McLaughlin
10-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Doing very well at your new gym no matter how you feel about it...but yes, atmosphere is everything to some.

Hmmm thanks for the encouragement :D I'll just suck it up I guess with this gym.

Damn man, what does your diet look like? How are you gaining these fable'd pounds? Lol good work man, keep it up!

Well, 2 x pbj per day + 1 yogurt and usually an apple or a plum. (breakfast + lunch)

Then at home after work I usually have 1/4-1/2 gallon of whole milk, + 1-2 chicken breasts, veggies and rice or potato (whatever the wife cooks).

Also as a snack a couple times a week I have frozen burrito, chicken beans & rice. As well as 2-3 times a week going out to eat or grabbing fast food. As near as I can tell I'm averaging 2250-2500 per day, with spikes as high as 3500 if I go out to eat or if the wife makes chicken and biscuits.

Twirl
10-23-2009, 06:35 PM
lol dammit! I don't see any weight gain unless im averaging 4k + a day =\ Cheater lol keep it up man

McLaughlin
10-26-2009, 12:22 PM
lol dammit! I don't see any weight gain unless im averaging 4k + a day =\ Cheater lol keep it up man

The other thing I have on my side is working in an office... I don't really move around much during the day so it's easy for me to be at or above maintenance.

~~

On a workout related note, I didn't workout over the weekend due to some back pains, going to hit it 4 days this week though to try and get back into the swing of things.

M - Upper (reps)
T - Lower (reps)
W - Off
T - Upper (heavy)
F - Lower (heavy)

Then the weekend, and after that I'll be back on M/W/F schedule.

McLaughlin
10-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Ok, I ****ing hate the gym I go to. I think there might have been 3 people there (of the 100+) that I didn't want to murder.

Bodyweight today: 196 (blah)
Anyway.... here it is, going for volume today:
Bench:
90 x 20 x 1
90 x 10 x 1
90 x 8 x 1
Lat Pulldowns:
70 x 12 x 1
80 x 12 x 2
Tri Push Downs:
70 x 12 x 2
70 x 6 x 1
Standing OHP:
65 x 8 x 2
65 x 6 x 1
DB Curls:
20's x 8 x 3

~~

Didn't do abs or cardio, at that point I just wanted to get the hell out of there. I hate this situation because usually I LOVE being in the gym and don't want to stop working out. Now I just want to get through my workout as quickly as possible.

Twirl
10-27-2009, 09:03 AM
what's wrong with the people in your gym man? lol

McLaughlin
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
what's wrong with the people in your gym man? lol

1. There's too many, the gym is huge, and yet still packed.
2. They travel in packs. There's the group of 4 talking and laughin using 2 of the cable sets to do 2-handed ****. Which normally I wouldn't mind but when it takes 1 minute per set and 5 minutes of talking between each one, I get mad.
3. Team pushdowns. Guy A and B are working out together, Guy A is doing pushdowns, Guy B is literally helping. Then they switch.
4. TV watcher. Me-(guys been watching tv for about 5-6 minutes)You using this? TV guy - Yeah.(Does one set & resumes tv watching)
5. Annorexic chick doing overhead something or other. this lady's legs were as big around as my arms, and my arms are ****ing tiny.
6. Fat guys curling in one of two squat racks.
7. Guys quarter squating in the other squat rack.
8. smith machines.
9. Greasy "smooth operator" look and mannerism of all the employees of the gym. The dirty looks like "I'm better than you" they give me every day.
10. Not open 24/7 on the weekends (just the one I go to, but still, it's annoying)
11. If they put 1/2 the money from their TV and Locker room budget into a few more squat racks I would be happy.

~~

That's all I could come up with off the top of my head. I just hate everything about the place. The only one there whose throat I didn't want to slit was this old guy (68? 70?) who was working out, offered to let me rotate in with him. I can respect an old guy who's trying to take care of himself.

/end rant

Going today for some lowerbody awesomeness... going to hit some high rep squats and deadlifts. Maybe do a few calf raises. I got some advice from people here on two other gyms to check out in the area, trying to figure a good day to go do that. One's called Joe's Gym and the other is called Olympic Gym, both sound promising, but gotta figure the logistics of getting to and from them. (new in town, still figuring things out + don't wanna die in traffic).

So.... yeah.

McLaughlin
10-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Lower day, going for reps.
Weight - 196
Today's workout:
Seated Calf Raises:
90 x 12 x 3
Squat:
135 x 12
135 x 10
135 x 08
135 x 08
Deadlift:
135 x 8
135 x 8

~~

That's all. Never tried much more than 5 on squats... man that set of 12 showed me who's boss.

Oh yah, dinner tonight = Chicken taco's and rice, made with home-made tortillas.

I love being married :D

McLaughlin
10-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Not sure when I'll get back to this.

Been in the hospital with my wife since Weds. night.

She might have cancer.

Twirl
10-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Holy crap man, i'm sorry to hear that! My prayers are with you.

Coke
11-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Same here...wish your wife the best prognosis, hope that everything will be ok.

McLaughlin
11-02-2009, 07:16 AM

Same here...wish your wife the best prognosis, hope that everything will be ok.

Thanks guys. We still don't know, calling the doctor today to schedule another test and some surgery. I hate how it's all just a game of "wait and see".

McLaughlin
11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Just found out it's cancer, have to wait until Friday to find out if she needs Chemo or not.

McLaughlin
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM
So we're in week 3 of Chemo + Radiation. She'll have daily appointments until the end of December.

I've taken FMLA leave from work until Jan 3rd. Gym membership is still active, but I spend my time with the wife, taking care of her, or cleaning up the house as best I can... (Not very domestic... heh)

Anyway, it's a rough road, as of right now we have $611 in our bank account and rent is $610 (and due 2 days ago). There's a few fund-raisers going on, spaghetti dinners for like $10 a plate and silent auctions and things, and all of that is awesome, but at this point in time, right now today, it's not helping yet.

Been toying with the idea of moving back to MN... but don't really like the idea of living with family as a still newly married couple. We just got married Sept 5th of this year.

Everything is crazy. But I didn't want anyone to think we've given up.

I think about lifting every day.

McLaughlin
02-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Wife went through major surgery yesterday to remove the cancer and parts of her organs. She's recovering nicely in the ICU right now, I'm working a 1/2 day and then going to spend the rest of the week/weekend with her.

Went to the gym last night while she was in surgery to blow off some steam.

Squat:
135 x 8 x 2
185 x 4 x 2
135 x 8 x 1
Bench:
Bar x 12
95 x 8 x 2
115 x 4 x 2
95 x 4 x 1
Cardio:
25 minute bike, 5 minute cool down (202 calories burned... according to the bike, who knows though, went 5.75 miles)

Overall it felt good to be lifting, I want to go again today and do OHP and Deadlift, but not sure if it's a great idea doing 2 days back to back, especially since I haven't been in the gym much lately.

KoSh
02-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Hang in there, man.

Stay tough for both you and your wife, I'm sure she needs a rock!