PDA

View Full Version : How does one account for seasoning in your diet?

Whitebread
06-12-2009, 07:09 AM
While I'm more than willing to give up eating many foods, I'd prefer not to eat grilled meats with a calorie free dry rub all the time. Many tasty recipes use healthy seasonings that are also a source of appreciable amounts of macronutrients, such as olive oil for example. Accurately determining how much seasoning or marinade is absorbed by the meat and injested seems like a job appropriate for a chemist with a calorimeter and not a gym rat. For those of you who track calories and macros, what do you do when you eat a meat with a seasoning or is prepared using a cooking method that could change the nutritional makeup of the food?

Thanks

VikingWarlord
06-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Don't worry about marinades. Not enough gets absorbed for it to make a huge difference. If you're applying olive oil to something, just count the amount you put on it. If you put on 1Tbsp, count 1Tbsp.

Dry seasonings won't contain calories (unless you're using olive oil powder or something).

KoSh
06-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Here's my thing... there's so little in those things, don't worry about it. if you are worried, add 100 cals to your total for the day for seasonings. That's probably over shooting it, but seriously, relax about it. Counting every little thing you eat is going to drive you nuts. Get the meals and snacks you eat and just set aside an amount of cals to add in for seasoning... Relax and enjoy :)

Holto
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
& consistency is the key. If you know you drop a pound/week on a calorie count of 3000 that doesn't include marinades then you're ace. In reality you may be over 3000 but the system still works and that's all that matters...

Whitebread
06-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Sounds good guys, thanks.

samadhi_smiles
06-13-2009, 09:14 AM
track your weight gain/loss by hunger, not counting calories. Its a more satisfying way and imo is a better way to live your life. Its not like you ever have the same maintenance day to day anyways.

VikingWarlord
06-13-2009, 09:26 AM
track your weight gain/loss by hunger, not counting calories. Its a more satisfying way and imo is a better way to live your life. Its not like you ever have the same maintenance day to day anyways.

Horrible advice for a beginner.

samadhi_smiles
06-13-2009, 10:50 AM
It is only if it doesn't work ;)

works for me. Works for a lot of other people I've talked about. I consider myself a beginner (i've only gained 40 pounds lean mass during this hobby).

We're animals VikingWarlord...I don't know about you but my diet and daily lifestyle is constantly fluctuating. I do different things every day and thus need to eat at a different level every day. Sedentary days I up the fat and diminish the carbohydrate (energy) intake. Active days I lower fat and up the pure energy intake (breads, gatorade, dextrose, fruit, etc). Always eating 1-2 pounds of meat a day at least and supplementing with 100-150g of whey protein.

I dunno...once I stopped worrying about total macros and just focused on getting 300g of protein a day and then eating by feel, I started gaining strength/mass and didn't gain much fat.

but don't listen to me! Listen to the internet and get a set amount of calories every day and go on bulking and cutting cycles! LMAO!!!! :D

cphafner
06-13-2009, 12:01 PM
It is only if it doesn't work ;)

works for me. Works for a lot of other people I've talked about. I consider myself a beginner (i've only gained 40 pounds lean mass during this hobby).

We're animals VikingWarlord...I don't know about you but my diet and daily lifestyle is constantly fluctuating. I do different things every day and thus need to eat at a different level every day. Sedentary days I up the fat and diminish the carbohydrate (energy) intake. Active days I lower fat and up the pure energy intake (breads, gatorade, dextrose, fruit, etc). Always eating 1-2 pounds of meat a day at least and supplementing with 100-150g of whey protein.

I dunno...once I stopped worrying about total macros and just focused on getting 300g of protein a day and then eating by feel, I started gaining strength/mass and didn't gain much fat.

but don't listen to me! Listen to the internet and get a set amount of calories every day and go on bulking and cutting cycles! LMAO!!!! :D

But your still only 170lbs by eating only when your hungry. Nothing wrong with tracking your calories and trying to eat enough to gain. That's how most of us grow.

samadhi_smiles
06-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with it bro. I just gave my tactics. I don't **** on other people's tactics in this hobby...do whatever works for you...just ENJOY it!

twm
06-13-2009, 12:44 PM

i also disagree profusely. this is a terrible way to diet. it may be a better way to live but if your goal is reducing fat or increasing strength/mass, be prepared for failure.

samadhi_smiles
06-13-2009, 02:05 PM
well your mileage definitely may vary...it works for me. The only thing I count is protein grams. And also carbohydrate grams around workout (I consume 100g carbs around working out).

but whatever works! Counting calories always bored me to no end! :D

twm
06-13-2009, 03:58 PM
yah, agreed there. carbs pre/post workout are ideal.

also, i agree: counting cals is irritating.. but after 2+ years of "feeling" it out by hunger and estimates, I wasted a lot of time that could have proved to be much more productive. diet and lifting are systematic for the most part. precision and detail are complements such activities.

Holto
06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
We're animals VikingWarlord...I don't know about you but my diet and daily lifestyle is constantly fluctuating.

This is what your glycogen and bodyfat stores are for. Glycogen alone can account for all the fluctuations in our energy requirements.

PS: I get your sentiment about not counting calories are there are other ways to do it, it's just not the status quo and they have much bigger fail potential.

Optimum08
06-16-2009, 09:45 AM
yah, agreed there. carbs pre/post workout are ideal.

also, i agree: counting cals is irritating.. but after 2+ years of "feeling" it out by hunger and estimates, I wasted a lot of time that could have proved to be much more productive. diet and lifting are systematic for the most part. precision and detail are complements such activities.

:withstupi: