PDA

View Full Version : 5/3/1 and targeting weakest lift

Andre518
06-12-2009, 09:57 AM
This week starts my 2nd wave of 5/3/1. Squat is my worst lift at 256lbs I only squat 425lbs. Last month for squat days warm up, work set, 5 x 10 squat and 5 x 10 single leg press for assist work. Today i switch it up a little and did warm up, work set then 5 x 10 squat and 5 x 10 box squat I was wondering if this would be a good idea or is it over training the squat. I just want to get better and lift more on my squat. I was thinking maybe for assist work doing box squat and leg press. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys :)

geoffsherman
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I would probably not be squatting so much, but you can always try it and see what happens. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is your work set for the day and getting a PR.

Cmanuel
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't think it would be overtraining unless volume goes through the roof. This is highly individual though depending on a variety of factors. If you were to ask wendler about this he would probably tell you to just squat, meaning throw away box squats and just do the big but boring template. I'm starting that template next week and am going to stick with 40 and 50 percent assistance sets to minimize chance of overtraining.

Andre518
06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't think it would be overtraining unless volume goes through the roof. This is highly individual though depending on a variety of factors. If you were to ask wendler about this he would probably tell you to just squat, meaning throw away box squats and just do the big but boring template. I'm starting that template next week and am going to stick with 40 and 50 percent assistance sets to minimize chance of overtraining.

Yeah I was doing the big b. b. template my first wave I just was trying to find away to get my squats to go up more. I hate being so big and squatting such a low number.

Cmanuel
06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
In my opinion, even if they are going up, then the program is working. Now if they aren't going anywhere or are decreasing then that's a problem.