PDA

View Full Version : Does Cardio Really Make You Weaker?

Shamik
04-18-2002, 09:54 AM
Okay, there's a personal trainer at my gym. He's pretty damn big. Anyway, he was telling me that doing cardio CAN make you weaker when lifting. I am just slightly overweight. My abs show up, but they're not cut well. I have some lovehandles and there is still some flab on the undersides of my chest. Other than that, I'm pretty solid. I want to get rid of those problem areas, but I JUST started a mass building cycle that will last for about 4 months. If I do cardio (running or biking) 3 times a week, will that help me reach both of my goals?
Oh, and I know that it's virtually impossible to cut and put on muscle mass at the same time. I plan on doing a cutting cycle as soon as this one is over. But I can't stand this flab. :mad:

millertime
04-18-2002, 03:15 PM
Cardio will not make you weak. But cardio burns calories that mean fewer calories for your muscles.

Cardio is not bad when bulking, just up your calories to compensate for the cardio.

the_hall
04-18-2002, 03:31 PM
i just bulk or cut, i dont waste my time doing both where there is a good chance i wont get anywhere.

do you want to get bigger or get cut?

nejar462
04-18-2002, 03:35 PM
seriously, unless you reached a professional level, cardio really helps a lot more than it hurts. IF you're amateur, you will get a lot more enduracne and and skills from cardio and lifting instead of just lifting.

Budiak
04-18-2002, 04:03 PM
The pros care only about size and look, which is why many of them dont do cardio during off season. I've seen many interviews where the pro in question admits that he is definitely not healthy, just big and solid...I dont think that that is what most of us are looking for.
You probably want to be healthy, so cardio can only help you get better. Unless you are at pro level in off season, you should have at least a day or two of moderate intensity cardio. Very high intensity cardio can sap gains, because it is a strain on your system that sucks up glycogen and protein for energy because the body is freaking out. Low to moderate intensity, with like 70% max heart rate is best for our purposes.

If you are bulking, add a few hundred calories so that the cardio wont harm your progress. It is still good for shedding water and other crap through sweat, and is good for making your heart strong. Or so I'm told.

BTW, cardio can be anything that gets you moving. I like yardwork, like mowing and digging, stuff like that. Basketball is good, surfing's cool, and killing zombies is a gread cardiovascular workout, that is, if you like it.

nejar462
04-18-2002, 08:41 PM
yeah, basically cardio is living life really, you should have sex, as i recall the italian chandelier burns and amazing amount of calories.

The Calvinator
04-18-2002, 10:08 PM
the italian chandelier?? please elaborate, i just stick with the basic 2 positions, work up a sweat anyways, i guess it depends your intensity level...

Franco
04-19-2002, 02:51 AM
Cardio can actually be very beneficial and can be used as GPP work on an off day to reduce DOMS