PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Westside

PWR
06-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I am thinking of trying the westside barbell routine and wondered if I should hit a few max lifts first to see where I stand or just go at it? My bench has been kinda stuck over the last year and am looking to break onto another level.
I have a horrible first rep and normally if I can do it once that means I'm good for 3 reps or so. I dont want max singles to hold me up or is that ok to try before I start?

BTW I work out one body part per week right now and have for years.

Travis Bell
06-12-2009, 09:49 PM
If you're going to be doing singles all the time, you are going to need quality handouts and spotters

Westside is a very proven method of training, and most certainly can help you reach the next level, however you must do it correctly for it to work

Several things that most people seem to miss are

- getting enough volume in
- rotating appropriate ME exercises each week
- doing DE work based upon speed instead of weight
- how to pick ME exercises based upon weaknesses
- and last but certainly not least, getting enough ascessory work in

PWR
06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
If you're going to be doing singles all the time, you are going to need quality handouts and spotters

Westside is a very proven method of training, and most certainly can help you reach the next level, however you must do it correctly for it to work

Several things that most people seem to miss are

- getting enough volume in
- rotating appropriate ME exercises each week
- doing DE work based upon speed instead of weight
- how to pick ME exercises based upon weaknesses
- and last but certainly not least, getting enough ascessory work in

I dont know what my maxes are, I never do singles honestly.
I have no problem being dedicated to a routine if it will work for what I want. I want to be as big and as strong as possible (dont we all). I wont bore with my entire weekly routine but here is a typical chest day with actual weights. Everything is raw

Bench
135x12
135x8
225x8
315x8
335x4
365x4

Incline dumbells
100'sx8
120'sx8
130'sx8
130'sx8

Pec deck
2 sets of 15

seated dip machine
3 sets of 15-20

dumbell skull crushers
40's x 8
50's x 8
55's x 8

I vary the accessory work but this is basically been my routine for a long time and I have made good gains and have good size but I feel I should be stronger on bench, since we talked last I really focused on getting my form right and feel like I am ready for something new. I see all you guys hitting these big weights and I'm inspired to see what I can do.
Thanks for all your help Travis.