PDA

View Full Version : Keepers and throwbacks for shirted bench.

NickAus
06-13-2009, 06:27 AM
I know this will be different for different people but I would love to know what movements people have found work and which ones are a waste of time for building a big shirted bench?
Any of your experiences would be great, thank you.

barbell01
06-13-2009, 07:51 AM
a shirted bench is the best movement for building a big shirted bench

MarcusWild
06-13-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree with getting in the shirt. You aren't going to get the 200-300+ lbs some guys get out of their shirt without really learning it. Now once you really know the shirt there are different camps of training. Some guys will wear it often and others wear it once a month. Both have success. I think it also depends some on if you are bench only or full power. Bench only guys can shirt up more often.

DrDudley-Robey
06-13-2009, 02:09 PM
a shirted bench is the best movement for building a big shirted bench

Yes, Also do heavy shirted board work

mastermonster
06-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Agreed with heavy shirted benching and shirted board work. If you're going to compete in a shirt, train in it. It's a skill that must be deligently learned and frequently reinforced to get the most of it.

mikesbench
06-13-2009, 09:50 PM
You also need to experiment to find how often you can handle getting in the shirt. It does beat up your wrists, elbows, and forearms so I generally am finding that I can handle about every 3rd week in the shirt. Of course squat training effects this too, and what your career is can have some effect as well; so it will vary for everybody.

NickAus
06-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone.

vdizenzo
06-15-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm going with full range two weeks in one week out when I get back in the shirt.

Rob Luyando
06-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm going with full range two weeks in one week out when I get back in the shirt.

No you need to let me write your program for just one training cycle and if it doesn't work I will let my hair grow out.

robchris
06-15-2009, 09:10 PM
You also need to experiment to find how often you can handle getting in the shirt. It does beat up your wrists, elbows, and forearms so I generally am finding that I can handle about every 3rd week in the shirt. Of course squat training effects this too, and what your career is can have some effect as well; so it will vary for everybody.

I agree w/ mike reference to squat effecting your shoulders. I've had to adjust my grip when sqauting as of late since it was beating up my shder's.(wider)

I differ on the board work though, as I generally do it RAW after shirt work...

B/C Rob L. said so!:evillaugh:

vdizenzo
06-15-2009, 09:13 PM
No you need to let me write your program for just one training cycle and if it doesn't work I will let my hair grow out.

Done deal! I love being coached. It's been a long time since I have had that luxury.

KarstenDD
06-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Done deal! I love being coached. It's been a long time since I have had that luxury.

It's awesome.

robchris
06-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes, Also do heavy shirted board work

Hey Doc,

I read your recent article in PL'ing USA. Loved it, esp. reference to setting realistic goals, and doing your support work. Do you keep a training journal here at WBB?
Thx.

RC

Brian C
06-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey Doc,

I read your recent article in PL'ing USA. Loved it, esp. reference to setting realistic goals, and doing your support work. Do you keep a training journal here at WBB?
Thx.

RC

Thread jacked