PDA

View Full Version : Question about rack pulls/deadlifts

Meat_Head
06-13-2009, 03:57 PM
How often should one switch up the grip on rack pulls or deadlifts?

I know DOMS isn't much of an indicator, but I just worked rack pulls in last workout and I notice that my right trap/upper back(right hand with regular, pronated grip on the bar) is more sore than the left. My grip isn't strong enough to do both hands over pronated, like I would for a row. But using a mixed grip, is there any point in switching which hand is pronated/supinated every heavy set, for more balanced development?

Also, I find it more difficult to flex my core and get it set before pulling, as opposed to squats. Should I flex and get the core 'pressurized' before squatting down to pick up the bar, or once I've already found my grip and am ready to pull?

samadhi_smiles
06-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I switch it on the same set. I do 8-12 rep sets of rack pulls. Do 6 with one hand under and 6 with the other. Thats just me though. Feels right to hit both cause like you said there is a noticeable difference if you use one hand under all the time.

MarcusWild
06-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Yes, you should switch your grip. I usually do all my warmups with my weaker grip. Then switch to my stronger grip for my heaviest sets. I think it's best to do your air at the top before you go down for the bar. I'll do these even when doing reps. I'll take in air after I lock it out, go down and then back up without breathing at the bottom.

Sean S
06-13-2009, 07:33 PM
I switch my grip for every set. I have a grip I'm slightly more comfortable with I use at meets, but I switch every other set in training.
I try to get my air before I go down to get the bar. I find it tougher to get get my air once I'm already bent over. Plus it keeps me from messing around too long getting the bar.

Meat_Head
06-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Awesome, thanks for the replies guys, I'll change it every set. That sounds like a good way to breathe with pulls Marcus, I'll give it a shot.