PDA

View Full Version : Texas Method and High Pulls

ZenMonkey
06-14-2009, 02:07 PM
This is a spin on Texas Method. It has a Volume day, Recovery, and intensity. Here is the problem-

Im not sure whether the high pulls should come imediately after the max effort O lift (2nd example and the percentage would be based off of that. This in turn would move the DLs which I recall Rip saying could go on volume day), OR if they should come earlier in the week before the max lift (1st ex. which in that case the percentage would be based on the max from 2 weeks previous but on a constant cycle). The difference is subtle but could prove to be a serious difference.

note- Olympic lifts: Snatch(A), Clean and Jerk (B) will be ordered like SS (ABA, BAB)

Olympic Lift A @ 85% 5x2 across
O lift A High Pulls 3x3 @ 110-120% across
OLY Squat 5x3 across
OH Press 5x5 across
BO Row 5x5 across
-----
Olympic Lift B @ 85% 5x2 across
Front Squat 3x3 across
Pullups 3x8 across
?maybe DB Press 3x8 across?
-----
Olympic Lift A to a 2RM
OLY Squat to 3RM/1RM
OH Press to 5RM/3RM
DL to 5RM/3RM

OR

Olympic Lift A @ 85% 5x2 across
OLY Squat 5x3 across
OH Press 5x5 across
DL to 5RM/3RM
BO Row 5x5 across
-----
Olympic Lift B @ 85% 5x2 across
Front Squat 3x3 across
Pullups 3x8 across
?maybe DB Press 3x8 across?
-----
Olympic Lift A to a 2RM
Olympic Lift A High Pulls 3x3 @ 110-120% of max
OLY Squat to 3RM/1RM
OH Press to 5RM/3RM

Indifference
06-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Hmmm, I see your predicament here. How tired do you get from snatching? I personally get pretty tired from high rep snatches but low reps are fine. If it were me I'd choose the 2nd option only because working up to a 2RM would mean lots of singles and that gives plenty of recovery time in between attempts. However I think both options are just fine really. I like the way youve set it up. I know our coach has us do high pulls with 100%+ pulls occasionally. Im sure Auburn can give you some better insight since hes good and planning and "doesnt dream mediocre" hehehe... Also another thing to consider is how fast do you recover in between days. If you can be 100% every day I dont think it would matter what you choose to do.

Auburn
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Is this to be aimed specifically for weightlifting, or as a generalized routine?

Either way, a few thoughts that apply universally:

I think 5x2 @ 85% is a little optimistic.
110-120% pulls are probably a sign of technique issues. As technique improves, don't be surprised if these numbers drop closer to 100%.
I think the Clean & Jerk should always be kept on Monday, and snatch work on Wednesday.
A heavy single for the day (not a max) is probably a better guide to base volume percentages off of than a previous training max.

ZenMonkey
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks Indy and Auburn!

Its aim is WL and general strength hopefully to dovetail into strongman competition and maybe some WL competition.

I took the percentages and set/reps from Tommy Kono's olympic split, so Im just going by that. How do you think those should be organized? 3-4 x2?
Im not sure what you mean by the technique issue thing.
Yea, heavy single is what I meant..

Auburn
06-14-2009, 09:45 PM
As far as technique and pulling percentages, I'm just saying that if technique/speed is solid, the lifter probably isn't powerful enough to pull 120% of the competition lift....especially not for reps.

What I'm talking about above regarding basing volume percentages off a heavy single would require working up to a heavy single each training session. This is not to be a max, and shouldn't require any extra emotion or errors in technique. The idea being that on days you feel sluggish, you aren't trying to do 85% of a lift that happened on a day you were firing on all cylinders.

If I were to plan it out, I'd probably do something like this:

Monday:
Clean & jerk: Work up to a heavy single, 90%x1, 85%x1x2, 80%x1x3
Clean Pull: 90%x2, 95%x2, 100%x2
Clean Deadlift: 100%+10kgx3x2
Front Squat: 100% (of clean)x2x5
Press: 5x5

Wednesday:
Snatch: Follow the same scheme above
Push Press: Monday's press weight @ 2x5
OH Squat: 90%x2x2

Friday:
Snatch: max
Clean & Jerk: max
Front Squat (or Back Squat): heavy single

Of course, no program works perfectly for every lifter or forever. Some waving would almost certainly be needed at times.

The above is certainly aimed at weightlifting. For the strongman work, I'd use it for conditioning work: farmer's walks, stone work, yoke work, interval deadlift work, etc.

But, I'm not planning this. So, based off the routines in your first post, I'd opt for the first program if you want to focus on the deadlift as a stand-alone exercise. If you're purely interested in the deadlift for building the clean/snatch, I'm not sure it matters.

brihead301
06-15-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't know much about programming the Oly lifts, but when I followed the TM, I liked having deads on Friday - intensity day. Every friday I went for a PR on the squat, bench, and dead. It was like a PLing meet every week.

Also, considering that the high pull is kinda like an assistance exercise for the oly lifts, personally I'd put it on Monday. Keep friday for hitting PR's in the main lifts.