PDA

View Full Version : push ups/ sit ups

litlfetcher
06-15-2009, 01:23 AM
well Ive got a problem. long story short coach wants 500 pushups, and 500 situps everyday. now heres the problem have been doing around 40 push ups and 100 sit ups every day. I know its not healthy to jump from 40 to 500, likewise from 100 to 500. should I just do as many as I can everyday? or should I increase it if I can by a certain number? my form starts to sag after about 35 push ups, should I just do as many as I can with good form? any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

fitnhealthydad
06-15-2009, 02:46 AM
And how exactly is "coach" wanting these done? All at once? Broken into sets? What kind of time frame? Hopefully an experienced coach isn't actually demanding 500 pushups right away from an athlete whose body has only trained for a tenth of that number?

Bodyweight exercises can be very beneficial but it sounds like there might be just a little too much emphasis on these two particular old-standbys. What is the point of all those situps? And are they really situps? Or are they crunches? Are you complimenting them with oblique-targeted exercises? Doing any planks? How about leg raises and hanging extensions to hit your lower abs/lower back? In other words, that's an awful lot of one targeted exercise to be doing while ignoring other, equally important core-stabilizers.

What sport are you training in/for, by the way?

litlfetcher
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
football coach. we have 2 weeks off til training begins so he said 500 sit ups, 500 push ups everyday, along with 30 min running everyday. he wants them into sets, scatter them out through out the day. not sure what the point is, he told us not to think that the 2 weeks off means 2 weeks vacation so he told us to do this.

Travis Bell
06-15-2009, 12:46 PM
your coach is dumb.

Doing 500 pushups and sit ups a day isn't going to prepare you for football, get in the weight room, do some sprints after lifting and you'll be golden.

slashkills
06-15-2009, 01:43 PM
your coach is dumb.

Doing 500 pushups and sit ups a day isn't going to prepare you for football, get in the weight room, do some sprints after lifting and you'll be golden.

this

fitnhealthydad
06-15-2009, 11:06 PM
^^
Ditto what Travis and slash are saying.

Football isn't a marathon sport. 30 minutes of straight running every day is blah. Several sets of 100meter sprints post-workout will do wonders for your 50-yard, race-to-the-touchdown dash.

Sounds like your coach was just using the generic "keep 'em motivated" routine to prep you for training season. While I would never advocate arguing routine with your coach (that's just asking for trouble), I do think you're safe getting some outside advice and kinda' doing your own thing when you can....

Good luck!

Mr. Mustard
06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Your coach is stuck in a time warp. I am going to go out on a limb and say the team isn't all that great. With ***** advice like that, he can't have a great mind for football.

Morgan McPherson
06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
What exactly is hoping to accomplish? Overtraining? And besides, who the hell has the time or motivation to do that many push-ups every day.

litlfetcher
06-17-2009, 08:14 PM
im not sure what he was thinking, I mean I could see like 200 push ups, planks, leg raises etc. but if we are already lifting weights, why would we do push ups too? well anyway I am doing my weight lifting, followed by some 20 yard sprints. anything else I should do? Thanks

doitbig23
07-30-2009, 12:31 AM
well if you play a positon like wr, db, wr, or any of the more "skill" positions you should do some plyo stuff for foot speed like ladder drills and skipping it does a lot for your cardio if you dont rest too long between everything and you should notice that you get faster and can react a lot faster to what other players are doing. also if you have any trails or steep hills near your house you should run up them and also run down hills that arent too steep and youll notice you get a lot faster

Socialgym
08-18-2009, 01:57 PM
yeah if you do the math of one pushup/situp taking one second, thats 16 minutes of pushups and situps. thats ridiculous.