PDA

View Full Version : critique my bulking diet plz noob

mikeyballer
06-15-2009, 08:35 PM
height: 5'9
weight: 138
body fat is around 10%
weight goal: 160

im just starting this bulking diet since i am currently very skinny so can you guys tell me if its okay.

Meal 1 9AM complete
5 Large Whole Hard Boiled Eggs
1 Cup dry Oatmeal

Meal 2 12AM
4oz Chicken Breast
1 cup brown rice
1 cup broccoli

Meal 3 pre-workout meal
2 cups skim milk
2tbsp-peanut butter
1/2 cup -oats
1 scoop protein powder

Workout 4 pm

After workout 5 pm
2 cups skim milk
2tbsp-peanut butter
1/2 cup -oats
1 scoop protein powder

Dinner 7 pm
4oz Chicken Breast
1 cup brown rice
1 tbsp olive oil

before bed: 11 pm
Banana, Bread, peanut butter
Glass of milk

plz tell me how i can improve this diet

Time+Patience
06-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd probably take out the Peanut Butter after the Post Workout, since you want your body only utilizing the carbs as an insulin spike and enabling your muscles to absorb as much protein as it can, you don't want the fats to be absorbed.

Your diet actually looks rather "Clean" outside of the Peanut Butter.

What's your age, weight, BF, weight gain goals? That will help in giving advice. I'd say go on ahead and a little more outside of the "clean" foods world, but if you're looking to keep your BF % down, then you will want to eat clean.

mikeyballer
06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
^^ thanks i edited it with my info

Time+Patience
06-16-2009, 04:11 AM
I am going by a very rough estimate but this is how I'd guesstimate your calorie breakdown...

Calories roughly around 3300-3500, give or take. After looking at what you have, I'd say it's not to bad calorie wise, given your bodyweight and BF %, but it depends on how hard it is for you to gain weight. If you haven't gained any sort of weight after 2-3 weeks by following the diet that you have written out, then you'll want to add a little something extra to eat, it could be as simple as a snack cake, a candy bar, another TBSP of olive oil.

Adjustments that I would make would be to your Pre and Post Workout meals. I would remove the Peanut Butter from those time frames. You could leave the Peanut Butter in the Pre Workout meal, but it depends if you are eatting a solid 1-2 hours before you workout. If you are working out within an hour after eatting that Pre workout meal, then I would suggest eatting something different, maybe 1/2 a cup or 1 whole cup of cottage cheese, you'll get a good amount of Protein, with limited Carbs and Fats. Your body takes longer to digest fats, and you want your body prepped and reaady for a good workout.

Like I said about the Post Workout meal, remove the Peanut Butter, as you want your body just digesting the Proteins with the assistance from the Carbs. You could also take in a banana or some other type of fruit with your Post Workout meal, they have a higher Glycemic Index, which basically creates a brief insulin spike, meaning that your body digests it quickly and the proteins and nutrients you take in around that time will be absorbed into your muscles.

I like the switching you are doing with the milks, you are increasing or decreasing your fat intake with the different times you drink your milk.

Overall I like your diet, it's very basic. With the adjustment of taking out the Peanut Butter from, at least, your Post Workout meal, and possibly your Pre workout meal, you could be losing around 400 calories, if you don't eat it at another time. So replacing the Pre Workout meal with 1 cup of cottage cheese will get your around 250 calories back.

Other foods to look at eatting...
Cottage Cheese
Yogurt
Cheese
Tuna
Ground Turkey
Pancakes
Fish
Red Meats
Cream of Wheat- easy item to put into a shake

That's just a rough idea. Like I said those are some brief ideas to think of.

Some members are more scientific with their dieting, but for a younger Lifter, I'd just make sure I eat. When I was 15-16 you are doing basically what I was doing, I just made sure I ate 5-6 times a day, and milk was a staple in my diet.

Lastly, just follow this diet for 2-3 weeks and keep track of any weight gain, if you gain around 1-4 pounds within that time frame, you are on the right track. Check back in and update us on how you are doing.

Malice
06-16-2009, 05:42 AM
Id have a couple of fish oil capsules with 2 meals, one in morning one in evening. some good fats in them.

Optimum08
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Ideally, you'd want to cut any fat out of a PWO shake, but thats just details. (i.e. PWO i would recommend just protein+carbs+creatine in water instead of milk) On a bulk you would have to make-up these calories elsewhere during the day, however.

Where are the veggies?

mikeyballer
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
^^ i know i dont have alot of veggies in there, there only in the rice but i guess ima add some elsewhere

Holto
06-17-2009, 07:44 AM
I think people are a little confused as to the role of insulin (hormones are very complex).

Post workout your muscle cells are first concerned with re-hydrating. They don't actually absorb much in the way of amino acids directly after a workout. After rehydration they are looking to restock ATP/CP, again, amino's not involved here.

The benefit of insulin is that it's anti-catabolic. So the benefit is stopping the catabolism that is induced from the workout.

Unreal
06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Add more veggies. Other then that, without macros and all that who knows. If you gaining on this diet then great. If not eat more. It is as simple as that.