PDA

View Full Version : Diet Questions...

McLaughlin
06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Looking for ease of use... let me know what you guys think...

So for breakfast sometimes I like to have milk + this carnation quick-start powder stuff... it's like little packets you stir into a glass of milk and then enjoy, adds extra vitamins/nutrients and makes it more filling.

Then maybe a few hours later have something like yogurt, since it's cheap and easy (just the way I like things ;))

For lunch something simple like a protein shake (with milk), or maybe something else, like chicken or tuna from a can, along with a piece of fruit or a portion of berries, whatever is in stock/season.

Mid afternoon a quick "power bar" for a boost before working out, followed by:

Dinner: Milk + meal replacement shake such as opticen or the like, drank after workout as dinner.

Now, there's not a lot of solid food in there, but there is a lot of protein and such... how well do you think a diet like that would work? Also would it be okay to take a shake like that on off days as well or should I think of something else for dinner?

I'm not saying I have implemented this or that I'm going to, but I am thinking about it. Just looking for honest thoughts and opinions, even if it sucks :D

Oh, also included would be a multi-vitamin and fish oil pills.

Thanks!

bluefrog
06-16-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm by no means in any position to answer this being a total diet noob, but it doesn't sound like much food, good or bad, and I believe I also read on this board somewhere about meal replacements not being good as a long term thing.

Now I put my hands up and state now that I am probably wrong 100% but that is what I remember. Also doesn't lactose convert to sugar in the blood?

Anyway, I'm sure a diet guru from here will correct me and hopefully teach me something in the process :)

Good luck whatever you decide

tom183
06-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Now, there's not a lot of solid food in there, but there is a lot of protein and such... how well do you think a diet like that would work?

What are your goals? What is your maintenance calories?

McLaughlin
06-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Goal is to cut from 185 down to 165 or less.

The problem is I'm not too consistent with what I eat, and so I don't know what my maintenance on calories would be. I've got accounts at FitDay and TheDailyPlate, but I lose track quickly because I eat so many different things, and a lot of it is home-made, so it's hard for me to figure out how to put it in on the site.

I know I'm not giving a lot of solid information other than "I want to lose weight", I can give another shot at the calorie counting on thedailyplate (I like that one best) and see how it goes.

icnelly
06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
The problem is I'm not too consistent with what I eat, and so I don't know what my maintenance on calories would be.

I lose track quickly because I eat so many different things, and a lot of it is home-made, so it's hard for me to figure out how to put it in on the site.

You know your problem. Decide how much you want to change. You don't have to eat the same thing everyday or become neurotic and count every calorie, BUT you need to know your levels. I don't know my maint. but I know how much I lose and how I feel; those things are helping me cope with what issues I'm having and what decisions I make.

20lbs isn't a huge amount. Are you fit, built with fat, plain ole fat, skinny? Depending on where you are, dieting/cutting becomes more difficult and demands more attention and specificity: when I was over 400lbs, I could look at a treadmill and lose 5lbs; it's not so easy now.

McLaughlin
06-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm not fat really, just got more padding around the mid-section than I'd like... (read- I grew a belly). I think that 20-30lbs should be all I need to lose to get rid of it, but I could be wrong.

I know I should get into running and such, but right now even walking too long can tire me out.