PDA

View Full Version : Fruit and Vegetable carbs vs grain carbs

suprfast
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
I tried searching and searching but i could not come up with anything specific. I know carbs for the most part from vegetables are to be eaten freely. Can the same be said for fruits high in sugars(oranges, apples, bananas, mangos, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon...)

I know without a doubt cutting grains would be the best carb to limit, but not cut. I still consume about 150-175g carbs per day. I dont want to go much higher than this but i get wicked cravings for fruit and veggie smoothies. Should i just go for it since i will also benefit with high fiber or should i too limit the sugary carbs found in fruits?

If i didnt make this clear enough "make fun of me" and ill clarify.

Current body is

5'9"
maybe 20% body fat
220lbs
Id like to find my way to 200lbs.

I can take screen shots of my meals from fitday PC if that will help.

Kris

VikingWarlord
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Apples, all berries, and tropical fruits like mango, papaya, and pineapple are not at all high in sugar. In fact, they have lower sugar content than almost anything with berries being the absolute lowest. Of course, this is for FRESH fruit. Frozen stuff tends to have sucrose added.

Oranges, watermelon, grapes and grapes are much higher in sugar content. This is one of the few times the GI is useful.

Refined grains are going to be what you want to cut most of. Low sugar, raw natural fruits are going to be very beneficial in that they tend to contain helpful digestive enzymes like papain. For grain sources, stick with whole grains and things produced from whole grain. Whole wheat semolina couscous, quinoa, etc. It tends to be more satisfying when you do eat some of it. Stick with natural sweeteners if you need them. Honey and pure maple syrup work well because they're very strong and so you need less of them.

suprfast
06-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks Viking, ive come across many of your threads and all i can say is thanks for taking it easy on me:hello:

Anyhow, all my grains are whole grain. I dont have any regular pasta, bread, or anything else that is a grain in the house.

All my fruits come fresh from a farmers market that happens every weekend. The central valley has at least one good thing about it, agriculture and plenty of it. I buy lots of greens but purchase many fruits too.

I get a sweet tooth every now and then and a mango, strawberry, blueberry, protein shake is in order. I just wanted to be sure that i wouldnt ruin my diet by indulging in fruits and vegetables. This is so different monitoring everything via Fitday(which is not stone i know) but if i want to cut to 200 lbs the carbs and calories need to be reduced.

Thanks again Viking. As you can tell by my join in date i tend to read more than i ask questions. This just happened to be a question i was wondering about.

Now, time to get a fruit smoothie protein shake into the vita mix.

I forgot to add this last part. Where do peaches, plums, nectarines fall into?

Holto
06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Where do peaches, plums, nectarines fall into?

Try looking them up on nutrition data . com.

also, google their GI rating...

VikingWarlord
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks Viking, ive come across many of your threads and all i can say is thanks for taking it easy on me:hello:

This wasn't a moronic question that gets asked 437 times a day.

Mercuryblade
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
A Stick with natural sweeteners if you need them. Honey and pure maple syrup work well because they're very strong and so you need less of them.
Agave FTW.

Unreal
06-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Just make sure the calories and carbs fit into your diet plan. You could easily make a smoothie with a crap ton of calories if your not careful.

suprfast
06-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I keep track of everything on fitday pc. I find that fitday works against me though claiming most food has more carbs or calories than packaging might say. (ex., olive oil i use claims to have 14g fat x calories etc...). if i punch this directly into fit day they would claim olive oil has 10000g fat etc...

I have however added so many of my food items instead of using the generic.

I believe my shakes are about 400-500 calories, 50-60 g protein(i add isopure to it also), 35 g carbs. all are estimates, but they sure do hit the stomach like a meal. I also put about 3 cups of spinach, 1 zucchini, and a cucumber in every shake to up the fiber content.

VikingWarlord
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
If you use blackberries, every 5.5oz (roughly) contains 8g of dietary fiber with about 60kCal and raspberries are pretty similar. Same amount of raw strawberries has ~50kCal and 3g fiber.

VikingWarlord
06-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Agave FTW.

I've found it's a little more expensive than honey or maple syrup but does work very well.

suprfast
06-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Can you grade this smoothie, shake, concoction?

1/2 C. whole strawberries
1/4 C. Blueberries
1 small apple
6 oz(small mango)
1 1/2 cups water(i prefer water over milk, milk makes it too thick of a shake)
3 cups of spinach
1 lg zucchini
1 small cucumber
2 scoops of isopure protein powder(50g protein)

I throw it in the vitamix until i get a liquid and consume.

VikingWarlord
06-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Can you grade this smoothie, shake, concoction?

1/2 C. whole strawberries
1/4 C. Blueberries
1 small apple
6 oz(small mango)
1 1/2 cups water(i prefer water over milk, milk makes it too thick of a shake)
3 cups of spinach
1 lg zucchini
1 small cucumber
2 scoops of isopure protein powder(50g protein)

I throw it in the vitamix until i get a liquid and consume.

That's a lot of stuff, but to get better feedback, you're going to have to do better with your measurements. Get a scale and weigh things.

mcdonough9395
06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
So if your trying to cut would it be beneficial to get all your carbs from fruits and veggies rather then grain carbs?

suprfast
06-16-2009, 05:51 PM
That's a lot of stuff, but to get better feedback, you're going to have to do better with your measurements. Get a scale and weigh things.

Thanks again viking. Ive been keeping an eye on a digital scale at target. Might have to try ebay or amazon though
kris

Unholy
06-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I just picked up a nice digital food scale, glass top and all for 30 bucks. It was at Target actually.

Suprfast, unless you are an ectomorph or really carb insensitive I would add some healthy fats to your shake.

Call me crazy but even though an insulin spike is anabolic it also means you are much more likely to put on fat.

And just some food for thought, as soon as you introduce fat into the meal or have eaten fat in the past few hours you can throw the whole GI scale out the window.

Unholy
06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
So if your trying to cut would it be beneficial to get all your carbs from fruits and veggies rather then grain carbs?

At the end of the day 90% of it will come down to hitting your macros for the day, if insulin control is what your after than simple adding a small amount of healthy fats into your meals solves the problem of insulin spikes.

Pick carb sources that are healthy/fiberous but don't worry about slow carbs/ fast carbs so much.

mcdonough9395
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
At the end of the day 90% of it will come down to hitting your macros for the day, if insulin control is what your after than simple adding a small amount of healthy fats into your meals solves the problem of insulin spikes.

Pick carb sources that are healthy/fiberous but don't worry about slow carbs/ fast carbs so much.

Yeah so lets say i set my macros so that i would take in 200g of carbs. Would i have more success cutting if 150g of those carbs were filled with fruits and veggies rather than whole grain bread and pasta?

Unholy
06-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Unless you ate those carbs by themselves the answer is no, it will not make a difference.

Unreal
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
If your stict then no difference. If you find you are able to stick to it better by eating fruits/veggies then yes. I can't eat 200g of pasta and be satisfied. Now 200g of brocolli and spinach and I'm full.

suprfast
06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
If your stict then no difference. If you find you are able to stick to it better by eating fruits/veggies then yes. I can't eat 200g of pasta and be satisfied. Now 200g of brocolli and spinach and I'm full.

I was just getting ready to say something similar to this. A bowl of pasta with a few pieces of whole wheat bread and you will almost be at your daily max(depending on size and intake of course). Now eating that in vegetables and fruits that are on the lower carb size will take some eating.

All in all it appears that staying where you want the carbs is what is most important.

Thanks for the answers guys.
kris