PDA

View Full Version : I'm a weak pansy!

Andre518
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Well toady was my deadlift day for my second week of wave 2 with 5/3/1. My last set was 410lbs x 3 or more I only got three, so I was pissed at the gym then when I get home and look at week three of wave 1 I see I did 425 x 3. This has really messed with my mental attitude about myself. I was wondering in wave one I was doing the 1st set of lighter percents from the book. This wave i went with the heavier sets could this have something to do with it. I mean DL is my best lift and to only pull 410 x 3 seems like BS I was thinking I was gonna get at least 5. Any thoughts guys?

Brian C
06-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Just a bad day. It happens. Drive on soldier:thumbup:

vdizenzo
06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
How was your diet, sleep, stress level, etc? Sometimes bad days just happen. At least you got your 3 reps.

Andre518
06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
How was your diet, sleep, stress level, etc? Sometimes bad days just happen. At least you got your 3 reps.

My diet is very is high carbs med protein and low fat. I usually have 4095 calories with 702g carbs 234g protein and 47-89g fat. Right now Im losing weight slowly 0.5-1lbs a week trying to get to the 242lbs class for a meet in Nov. Sleep is 5-6 hrs a night and stress has been bad lately everything seems to bother. My girlfriend was just bitching at me today about my attitude and how Im so unpleasant to be around. She said I see my doctor again I had seen him a few years back for depression. Could that play a role in bad lifts?

Lones Green
06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
My diet is very is high carbs med protein and low fat. I usually have 4095 calories with 702g carbs 234g protein and 47-89g fat. Right now Im losing weight slowly 0.5-1lbs a week trying to get to the 242lbs class for a meet in Nov. Sleep is 5-6 hrs a night and stress has been bad lately everything seems to bother. My girlfriend was just bitching at me today about my attitude and how Im so unpleasant to be around. She said I see my doctor again I had seen him a few years back for depression. Could that play a role in bad lifts?

Absolutely. The lack of sleep and the stress is most likely your problem man. Those will both mess with hormones

Ben Moore
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd just adjust your percentages down a little next time out.

Mike G
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm with Ben, drop your percentages and focus on the heavy set. Going with the higher percentages can take enough out of you, especially on deads, that your numbers suffer. At least that's the case for me. Overall, I would imagine a combination of the things you mentioned played a part, but the percentage is probably the easiest to change.

Andre518
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys. When you say drop percentages and focus on the heaver set should I drop the 1st two sets and keep the third the same? or drop all of them a little bit? For example today was
Warm up
185 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3

work set
320 x 3 <-----Should I drop this percentage
365 x 3 <-----and this percentage
410 x 3 <-----and keep this percentage

Assist DL
5 sets 275 x 10

Jason198
06-16-2009, 03:39 PM
do you dl every wk based on this percentage?

also you have down for asst dl 275 for 5 sets of 10 is that correct?

if so how long have you been doing this?

The deadlift can require for some people a cut back wk faster than other lifts.

good luck

Jason198
06-16-2009, 04:30 PM
do you dl every wk based on this percentage?

also you have down for asst dl 275 for 5 sets of 10 is that correct?

if so how long have you been doing this?

The deadlift can require for some people a cut back wk faster than other lifts.

good luck

jbrin0tk
06-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I would just drop the training max like Ben said. Perhaps restart. Figure out where you're really at, either via a 1RM attempt, or a rep max that you calculate (I'd probably use the 1RM route, but that's just me). Kinda sucks, but I believe that the key to progress with this program is the rep work. On many of my last sets I'm getting sets of 10-13 reps, and this is the end of my fourth wave. Looking back, maybe I underestimated my training maxes, but I pulled a 30lb. PR on a 5/3/1 day and benched a 10lb. PR with a good bit more in the tank on the last week of my 3rd cycle, and after rep maxing on the last set. My squat is a different story, but I've had some issues with squatting lately, haha.

Do you need to be hitting 10-13 reps on your last sets? No. That being said, though, I really feel that the key to 5/3/1 is getting rep work in with submaximal weights. If you're only getting the presribed amount of reps in your second wave, then you probably started too high.

Mike G
06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I would just drop the training max like Ben said. Perhaps restart. Figure out where you're really at, either via a 1RM attempt, or a rep max that you calculate (I'd probably use the 1RM route, but that's just me). Kinda sucks, but I believe that the key to progress with this program is the rep work. On many of my last sets I'm getting sets of 10-13 reps, and this is the end of my fourth wave. Looking back, maybe I underestimated my training maxes, but I pulled a 30lb. PR on a 5/3/1 day and benched a 10lb. PR with a good bit more in the tank on the last week of my 3rd cycle, and after rep maxing on the last set. My squat is a different story, but I've had some issues with squatting lately, haha.

This is pretty good advice considering it is your second wave. Still, you hit your reps, so I would finish the cycle and then figure things out. It's only one more dead lift day and you might come through with some good numbers. It could very well have just been a bad day and you're pissed because you didn't get what you expected to.

Do you need to be hitting 10-13 reps on your last sets? No. That being said, though, I really feel that the key to 5/3/1 is getting rep work in with submaximal weights. If you're only getting the presribed amount of reps in your second wave, then you probably started too high.

I'm still in my first real wave, but I'm starting to see this pretty clearly.

As for the percentages, what you outlined is the lower percentage buildup, right? I did some quick math and it looks like you used 455 as your max, what was your training max for your first wave? It does sound like you started too high, but I don't think finishing the wave is going to hurt. It will at least give you a good number to re start with. I could be way off on this though as I'm still learning the ins and outs.