PDA

View Full Version : Chips....

blownby
06-17-2009, 08:19 AM
For those of you super hard core dieters......dont read on..lol :tuttut:

So for the rest any suggestions on some good chips to eat......
Basically I am on nor need to have a "very clean" diet so just looking for some good chip/snack ideas. Basically looking for something somewhat healthier than Doritos or Frito Lays Sour cream & onion chips! LOL

I like the Sun Chips & seem fairly healthy snack when craving chips.........

Any other you all like or suggest?

Unreal
06-17-2009, 08:38 AM
If it fits your macros and isn't loaded with trans fat eat whatever. 200 calories of doritos and 200 calories of sunchips is probably no different at the end of the day.

Optimum08
06-17-2009, 08:43 AM
:withstupi:

cals are cals are cals.

you're killing me with this question since i'm on a cut, but my absolute favorite chips ever are: Kettle brand, Krinkle cut, Salt and Ground Black Pepper chips. Kettle's salt and vinegar are great as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Kettle-Krinkle-Ground-Pepper-2-Ounce/dp/B000G6Q4FI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1245249704&sr=8-4

blownby
06-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Ive seen & read about the kettle brand.....can these be bouight at a local store. I ran thru meijer and didn't see them. Also supposedly a pretty good chip for us meatheads!

I am pretty sure the review was for the Kettle Bakes....they topped all others

blownby
06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
If it fits your macros and isn't loaded with trans fat eat whatever. 200 calories of doritos and 200 calories of sunchips is probably no different at the end of the day.

200 cals is 200 cals, yes---NO......

200 cals of good carbs is not 200 cals of **** carbs......
200 cals of lucky charms isn't the same as 200 cals of Oatmeal.....
Jif is not the same as Natty PB or smart balance PB......

A handful or two of a healthy crunchy snack is not as good as 2 handfuls of a healthy one....

Mercuryblade
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Trader Joe's has an AMAZING salt and pepper kettle chip.

Each chip also has a little over 1g of fat in it though.

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 09:03 AM
200 cals is 200 cals, yes---NO......

200 cals of good carbs is not 200 cals of **** carbs......
200 cals of lucky charms isn't the same as 200 cals of Oatmeal.....
Jif is not the same as Natty PB or smart balance PB......

A handful or two of a healthy crunchy snack is not as good as 2 handfuls of a healthy one....

However it is not the calories that are at issue, it is all the other ingredients.

There is no such thing as good and bad calories, there is however such a thing as too much sugar/carbs/trans fats etc.

Calories are calories folks...

Unreal
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
When it comes to weight loss if that is what your going for, every study done has shown no noticeable difference between foods when it came to weight loss. 200 cals is 200 cals. Now as for fiber, vitamins, minerals, satiety and other effects of food I agree. 200 cals of oatmeal is going to fill me up a lot more then 200 calories of chips, and it will have a good ammount of fiber. 200 cals of doritos compared to 200 cals of sunchips, I doubt there would be a single difference at the end of the day.

Nothing wrong with Jiff. If you like natty PB because of the taste go for it. The difference in fats is so minimal it isn't worth bothering if you perfer jiff.

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
However it is not the calories that are at issue, it is all the other ingredients.

There is no such thing as good and bad calories, there is however such a thing as too much sugar/carbs/trans fats etc.

Calories are calories folks...

Correct, i am not concerned with the calories, just the basic ingredients to make it a good snack.

If i asked for a good breakfast food you all wouldn't say eat whatever, cals are cals.....you'd say, eggs, oatmeal, all bran, etc....

Lets get off the calories soap box and just give me some real simple answers.....

What are some of your healthier chip picks.

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
When it comes to weight loss if that is what your going for, every study done has shown no noticeable difference between foods when it came to weight loss. 200 cals is 200 cals. Now as for fiber, vitamins, minerals, satiety and other effects of food I agree. 200 cals of oatmeal is going to fill me up a lot more then 200 calories of chips, and it will have a good ammount of fiber. 200 cals of doritos compared to 200 cals of sunchips, I doubt there would be a single difference at the end of the day.

Nothing wrong with Jiff. If you like natty PB because of the taste go for it. The difference in fats is so minimal it isn't worth bothering if you perfer jiff.

wow.....then why does everyone care about what they eat?

Unreal
06-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Like I said, a chip is a chip if they have the same macros.

As for breakfast, I would say eat what fits your macros. If you want 500 cals with 1/2 protein 1/2 carbs, I would say who cares if it is lucky charms and milk or eggs/oats. Whatever fits your diet plan.

Eat whatever chips you think taste the best, or are on sale. As long as your not buying ones that are loaded with transfat I can't think of any that would be better then others. Now you could argue pretzels or other salty snacks are a better alternative since they aren't fried if you want to reduce your fat intake.

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
:hello: Next

Unreal
06-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Calories 250

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 310mg 13%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 2g
Protein 4g

Calories 240

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11g 17%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 290mg 12%
Total Carbohydrate 33g 11%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Sugars 4g
Protein 4g

One is a "healthy" chip, the other is a "bad" chip. The ingredient list looks near identical besides flavors and the macros are so close who cares.

Optimum08
06-17-2009, 09:19 AM
The Kettle brand (which i prefer overall) tend to be more 'gourmet' so you probably wont find it at your local supermarket. Trader Joe's etc. (or more 'gourmet') grocers tend to carry it.

My local Costco sells the Salt and Ground Black Pepper in usual Costco portions. Delicious.

Optimum08
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
and blownby- there are better and worse choices, but in the end cals are cals...

OBVIOUSLY, 200 cals of say chicken breast is better than 200 cals of say cheeseburger, but thats because of the nutrients: i.e. fat, protein, vitamins, etc., not because of the cals.

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Calories 250

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 13g 20%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 310mg 13%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 2g
Protein 4g

Calories 240

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11g 17%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 290mg 12%
Total Carbohydrate 33g 11%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Sugars 4g
Protein 4g

One is a "healthy" chip, the other is a "bad" chip. The ingredient list looks near identical besides flavors and the macros are so close who cares.

Both bad....compared to a healthier choice like this:

Serving size: 1 oz
Amount Per Serving
Calories 120
Calories from Fat 30
Amount Per Serving and/or % Daily Value*
Total Fat 3g (4%)
Saturated Fat 0g (2%)
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg (0%)
Sodium 115mg (5%)
Potassium 450mg (13%)
Total Carbohydrate 21g (7%)
Dietary Fiber 2g (8%)
Sugars 0g
Protein 3g
Amount Per Serving and/or % Daily Value*
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 15%
Calcium 0%
Iron 4%

Unholy
06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Fat Free Baked Lays are pretty good if you want something without fat. But honestly once your chips have fat in them, the type of carbs that make the chip up really stop mattering, fat in your bolus throws the whole GI scale out the window.

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:25 AM
again I don't care about calories.....I know how to get myself to 196# and under 7% BF......I know how to eat & what to eat.....just looking for and idea of a snack some of you may prefer......I know how to train hard and meet my goals........

ALL i want are a few snack ideas......I got it that many of you like Doritoes...great so do i and i eat them when i want to.

Someone else please list a NEW idea for me

Unreal
06-17-2009, 09:27 AM
So what is that "healthy" choice. Plus who knows how much better it is without serving size. If you ate 240 cals of your "healthy" one compared to 240 cals of the second one I posted (sunchips garden salsa) then the only difference is slightly less fat and slightly more carbs.

So basically you just want what peoples favorite chips are?

Cheetos, lays, pringles, kettle chips would be my favorites.

Lones Green
06-17-2009, 09:42 AM
If you don't want to hear what the people of this board have to say.....why even make a thread?

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 09:47 AM
If you don't want to hear what the people of this board have to say.....why even make a thread?

because its not what he wants to hear... Its just like a kid going to dad when mom tells them what they dont want to hear...

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:47 AM
If you can't answer a simple question why post.............

Dude all i asked was give me some chips choices. I don't want the science behind how cals are cals.

So again, if you have a chip snack you like lay it on me. I will ultimatley decide if it fits my goals & tastes.

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
because its not what he wants to hear... ...

exactly i just want some choices........rather simple....so i thought

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 09:50 AM
exactly i just want some choices........rather simple....so i thought

your question was answered quite well in this thread... You are just too thick to get it...

You want an answer? Eat lays... Plain Lays, eat them and you will look like Ronnie Coleman.

Now quit posting

blownby
06-17-2009, 09:54 AM
yeah i got a few and many more trying to convince me that you can eat anything. Just looking now for some knoweldgeable answers form others who care what they eat or look like.

Trainwreck
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Calories are Calories. Eat whatever chips you want, if they fit into your macros then why worry? its not like 250 cals of chips are gonna drastically change body composition.

Reko
06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I like cooler ranch doritos dipped in ketchup.

Pringles sour cream and cheddar dipped in ketchup is pretty good too.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

blownby
06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
I like cooler ranch doritos dipped in ketchup.

Low sodium or regular? what is this board... a high school/college frat party of washed out wanna bee's......
Just a straight answer is needed. Its not difficult!

Reko
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Low sodium or regular? what is this board... a high school/college frat party of washed out wanna bee's......

Your mom is low sodium.

oh wait, I mean,

straight answer is straight.

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 10:43 AM

http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/obvious_troll.jpg

Optimum08
06-17-2009, 10:52 AM
we've given you answers.

stop getting pissy like a teenage girl and actually read what we've written.

taste/preference is HIGHLY personal, so its not like what i like is going to be what you like. Kettle Chips are my personal preference (and tend to be healthier relative to a cheeto per say), but as i'm sure you know chips are not healthy, so why get your panties in a bunch asking for healthy chip choices? thats like asking for a healthy candy or a woman without flaws.

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:02 AM
The hole intent was hopefully someone was able to suggest some good chips that maybe were whole grain, or cooked in a healthy oil that we benefit from, etc....

Not to be a discussion as to what i can or can't eat. I am not arguing about one not eating chips, just looking for suggestions!

The two above will go beat off together at their home gym and laugh with a couple other weak out of shape "boi's" about a chip dipped in Ketchup answer.........

Again someone may offer up a legit answer on here as well.......

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 11:03 AM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/obvious_troll.jpg

...again

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:04 AM
Your mom is low sodium.

oh wait, I mean,

straight answer is straight.

Your stats say it all!

Trainwreck
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
These (http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/isuck-500x375.jpg) chips are actually pretty healthy, check em out Blownby.

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:11 AM
:thumbup:

Thanks wow, hopefully a mod just delets this thread.

Ben Moore
06-17-2009, 11:12 AM
yeah i got a few and many more trying to convince me that you can eat anything. Just looking now for some knoweldgeable answers form others who care what they eat or look like.

Everyone here cares what they eat or look like - you stated yourself you know how to get under 196 and 7%. Stands to reason you could answer your own question then instead of wasting the time of others and dismissing their information. /thread

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Everyone here cares what they eat or look like - you stated yourself you know how to get under 196 and 7%. Stands to reason you could answer your own question then instead of wasting the time of others and dismissing their information. /thread

Just looking for other ideas!

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
why all the hate......

Ben Moore
06-17-2009, 11:15 AM

No, see, you're not really. You've been given tons of ideas and have dismissed the majority. With only 50 posts and some average numbers you don't really have a leg to stand on here.

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 11:16 AM

they were given:

like cooler ranch doritos dipped in ketchup.

your question was answered quite well in this thread... You are just too thick to get it...

You want an answer? Eat lays... Plain Lays, eat them and you will look like Ronnie Coleman.

Now quit posting

Mercuryblade
06-17-2009, 11:18 AM
3 pages of snack-food based arguments.

People will really argue about anything.

Ben Moore
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM

LOL - if given the right motivation yes.

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:20 AM
optimum is the only one that posted a legit response and unholy......and i never dismissed them. Just dismissed the argument about cals being cals. Of which i clealry wanted to end so as not to distract from the thread. Since i don't need or want to discuss the benefits of the quality of calories or chips.

and post count has nothing to do with anything. 3,000 post from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about is just as useless as the majority of trainer you see ever where.

anyway...i guess ill leave it at that and move on....

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 11:20 AM

technically only 2...gotta keep that argument going...

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:21 AM
LOL - if given the right motivation yes.
we got 3 boi's to the frat party...lol:omg:

WillNoble
06-17-2009, 11:21 AM
and post count has nothing to do with anything. 3,000 post from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about is just as useless as the majority of trainer you see ever where.

HAHAHAHA, says the unkown troll to the Pro Strongman and Elite class PL'er

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Ben Moore
06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
optimum is the only one that posted a legit response......and i never dismissed them. Just dismissed the argument about cals being cals. Of which i clealry wanted to end so as not to distract from the thread. Since i don't need or want to discuss the benefits of the quality of calories or chips.

anyway...i guess ill leave it at that and move on....

Quick learner you are...

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
technically only 2...gotta keep that argument going...

just trying to keep up with the teeny boopers with nothing better to do! :tuttut:

Nor do i at the moment

Reko
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Your stats say it all!
What stats? 240? 5'9''?

The hole intent was hopefully someone was able to suggest some good chips that maybe were whole grain, or cooked in a healthy oil that we benefit from, etc....

Again someone may offer up a legit answer on here as well.......

Fine then, take what I said about the sour cream and cheddar + ketchup and swap out for the cheddar sun chips. I'm sure they will taste good. My post was serious, as stated, those chips + ketchup go well together.

Unreal
06-17-2009, 11:49 AM
All Frito-Lays chips are trans-fat free.

I forgot Fritos. I love fritos. The Honey BBQ ones rock. Sunchips are just multigrain, not whole grain. They are just marketed to be healthy. Mixing a few different grains (corn, flour, etc) doesn't make them healthier.

Frito pies rock too. Dump some chili and cheese on them. Protein. Yum.

http://www.kettlefoods.com/

Saying the kettle are healthier then Frito isn't accurate. A lays chip is nothing more then a potato fried in corn oil with salt. All natural and good stuff.

Reko
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM

I forgot Fritos. I love fritos. The Honey BBQ ones rock. Sunchips are just multigrain, not whole grain. They are just marketed to be healthy. Mixing a few different grains (corn, flour, etc) doesn't make them healthier.

And to top it all - chilli cheese fritos... I could live off that stuff.

Unreal
06-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow, this fits in here perfectly.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/54916

blownby
06-17-2009, 11:54 AM

http://www.kettlefoods.com/

Saying the kettle are healthier then Frito isn't accurate. A lays chip is nothing more then a potato fried in corn oil with salt. All natural and good stuff.

Fritos are great...plus only like 2 or ingredients! Great in salsa.

Brad08
06-17-2009, 12:27 PM
http://www.wafl.ugent.be/joomla/images/stories/chips.jpg

ShaneSauce
06-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Best tasting chips on the planet
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1414/1317012971_f29300b100.jpg

Veggie chips, supposedly healthy
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51JGHJXA59L._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

/thread

KarstenDD
06-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Doritos are highly anabolic.

KarstenDD
06-17-2009, 08:27 PM
What stats? 240? 5'9''?

I think it was your higher total.

Davy_Baby9
06-17-2009, 11:58 PM
http://www.wafl.ugent.be/joomla/images/stories/chips.jpg

:zipit:

Quaker Rice patty chip things in caramel and chocolate are amazing. Everybody should try them, and they are healthy.