PDA

View Full Version : I honestly think that I'm losing fat, but not muscle.

brihead301
06-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I've been basically "recomping". I've been trying to get down to 175 (currently floating around 185 now), but I can't seem to do it. My daily caloric intake is pretty damn low too considering my activity level (under 2000 calories per day, usually even around 1700 or so). I eat very little carbs during the week, but I'm not very strict during the weekends (I rationalize it as being okay by telling myself that it's "carb loading"). I do drink on the weekends, but lately I've been drinking captain and diet cokes instead of beer or sugary mixed drinks.

Now, that being said about my 5-day/week strict diet, and 2-day not-so-strict diet, but still relatively healthy, I do have a desk job where I sit on my a** all day, but I train very hard in the gym 3 days/week, and I do MMA 3 days a week as well. MMA is AMAZING cardio. Sometimes my gym and MMA days are on the same day, but generally I'm training HARD 5 days a week in one way or another. If I do go to the gym on a non-MMA day, I do 8 HITT intervals on the elliptical at maximum resistance at the end of my training session.

I can honestly say that by doing what I'm doing, I am gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously, and I have been SERIOUSLY training for about 4 years now I think. I keep getting more and more cut looking, yet I remain at around 185 lbs. And I judge my level of "cutness" by my lower stomach fat too. It keeps getting smaller and smaller in that area.

Maybe I'm crazy, and just imagining things, and supposedly this is near impossible unless I was a noob, but I'm just judging by the mirror and the scale.

Reko
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
have you gotten a body comp test?

brihead301
06-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Once when I was like 14 I did, lol. I just use the mirror and the scale as my guide.

Holto
06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
It's not impossible to recompose, it's just less effective than bulking and cutting.

brihead301
06-17-2009, 01:20 PM
The thing is, is that I have been attempting to cut down to 175. Originally my plan was to cut down to 185, and that was EASY to do once I started eating properly and doing the MMA. Now, these last 10 lbs. are a B****. I've gotten even stricter on my diet, and @ only around 1700 -1800 calories per day with my activity levels, I figured going any lower would be bordering starvation mode (which is no good). So for some reason, I think I'm recomping fairly quickly because I keep getting leaner, yet I remain the same weight.

Ben Moore
06-17-2009, 03:31 PM
The thing is, is that I have been attempting to cut down to 175. Originally my plan was to cut down to 185, and that was EASY to do once I started eating properly and doing the MMA. Now, these last 10 lbs. are a B****. I've gotten even stricter on my diet, and @ only around 1700 -1800 calories per day with my activity levels, I figured going any lower would be bordering starvation mode (which is no good). So for some reason, I think I'm recomping fairly quickly because I keep getting leaner, yet I remain the same weight.

Try bumping up your cals with some extra fats. That's awfully low

brihead301
06-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Ya it is pretty low, but I'm still maintaining weight fo some reason. And ya, everytime I add extra cals it's from fat. I avoid more carbs, and I have plenty of protien.

Holto
06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm guessing you really have no idea what you're eating on the weekends.

If you do, post it so we can analyze it. I know when I'm drinking, I mix everything before the night begins and it's easy to tabulate the cals...and then once I'm danked people start handing me things...

:)

Not judging bro, I host parties with live bands that go till 6am...I'm just saying...you could be getting 3-4k in cals on some of those nights...

brihead301
06-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Nah, I have an idea of what I'm eating on the weekends. I still eat well on the weekends, but I'm just not on my "eating routine" like I am during the week while I'm at work.

A typical saturday might look like this:

Wake up at 10 am:

2 scoops whey
2 cups whole milk
1 banana

10:30 - training session at the gym
12:00 - protien shake from the gym (all protein, no carbs or fat in the drink)
12:30 - MMA class

3:00 - something low carb/high protien (maybe a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette made with 3 eggs)

7:00 - something low carb/high protien again

8:00 till I pass out - a s***load of alcohol and p***y.

I usually drink captain and diet cokes all night.

Dizzee
06-19-2009, 08:15 AM
When you say Captain do you mean Captain Morgan? When I drink it's usually vodka and diet coke is that about the same? All the dancing around while drinking must surely burn a few of the calories off? Even so I am trying to restrict drinking to once, every 2 weeks. Life would be too boring for me without drink at all.

Holto
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Nah, I have an idea of what I'm eating on the weekends. I still eat well on the weekends, but I'm just not on my "eating routine" like I am during the week while I'm at work.

A typical saturday might look like this:

Wake up at 10 am:

2 scoops whey
2 cups whole milk
1 banana

10:30 - training session at the gym
12:00 - protien shake from the gym (all protein, no carbs or fat in the drink)
12:30 - MMA class

3:00 - something low carb/high protien (maybe a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette made with 3 eggs)

7:00 - something low carb/high protien again

8:00 till I pass out - a s***load of alcohol and p***y.

I usually drink captain and diet cokes all night.

So what are your totals on the weekends?

brihead301
06-19-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure, but considering it's only 2 days a week, I don't worry about it. I don't really count calories to be honest. I just go by the scale, and I try my best to eat right.

Yes, it's captain morgan. Vodka and diet coke would be the same as far as nutrition goes.

MissAbs
06-20-2009, 07:01 PM
What does your food look like during the work week? Do you have the macro's broken down?

MA

mchicia1
06-24-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm not sure, but considering it's only 2 days a week, I don't worry about it. I don't really count calories to be honest. I just go by the scale, and I try my best to eat right.

Yes, it's captain morgan. Vodka and diet coke would be the same as far as nutrition goes.

Hittin up old city?

Skalami
06-26-2009, 07:42 AM
check out my sig, Arnolds Supplement.

brihead301
06-26-2009, 07:55 AM
What does your food look like during the work week? Do you have the macro's broken down?

MA

Plugging stuff into my calculator thing that I made up, a typical day during the week is:

1765 cals
220 g protien
110 g carb
50 g fat

I eat mostly meat, vegetables, bananas, whey protien (w/milk in the morning, w/water post workout). I avoid sugar, and starchy carbs. I'll eat a sandwich sometimes, usually turkey and cheese on rye bread. But generally, I try to get most of my cals from protien, fats, and fruit/veggie carbs.

I'm floatin around 180 now. Outside of my office job, I'm pretty damn active with lifting 3 days/week and MMA 3 days/week.

Skalami
06-27-2009, 06:33 PM
your 180 you do mma and weightlifting and you only eat that many calories? daaamn. How do you do it? Arent you drained?