PDA

View Full Version : Missing Squat half way up

Ryan Bracewell
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Last night while performing wide stance box squats with a safety squat bar I worked up to a max single. While attempting 690 I made it off the box about 6-8"(halfway up) then completely stalled out. During this workout I was using Inzer briefs, belt, and inzer knee sleeves. With the same bar and box height I have hit 700 with using my DL suit w/ straps down, knee sleeves, and belt.

I guess my question is whether there is a common technique or muscle weakness that causes a squat to fail half way up.

MarcusWild
06-17-2009, 12:14 PM
That's common with the SSB. It's really hard to hold your arch with it. You lose your arch and you're done. It's hard to know for sure without video though.

Ryan Bracewell
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
That's common with the SSB. It's really hard to hold your arch with it. You lose your arch and you're done. It's hard to know for sure without video though.

didn't know that was common with the SSB. I know some people miss lifts because they don't know how to strain through the tough part, but im pretty sure that is not the case.

Lones Green
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Yup. Your form might have been a little off too.

Clifford Gillmore
06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
Heh, the first time I used the SSB I couldn't believe how much it sucked! I did struggle to keep my upper back arched, but I wasn't using 690 either.

Travis Bell
06-17-2009, 01:32 PM
did you have your belt over your briefs?

Sometimes as guys are going up, the briefs will slide down a little

Ryan Bracewell
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
did you have your belt over your briefs?

Sometimes as guys are going up, the briefs will slide down a little

The belt was directly on top of the briefs.

One thing I did not mention, may or may not matter, is that 690 would be a PR with that gear setup. I have hit 650, but have missed 690 twice both the same way. I guess its possible the 690 is just too heavy for me at this time without my suit, but I was just curious whether it could be something else.

vdizenzo
06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Don't worry. You were plenty strong for it, the weight was just too much.

Jesse Hernandez
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't worry. You were plenty strong for it, the weight was just too much.

?????? wtf... thats confusing? I cant tell sarcasm from text.

Travis Bell
06-17-2009, 03:07 PM
He wasn't being sarcastic. Sometimes it's just too much weight.

I missed 455 +150lbs of chain, twice today. It was just too heavy.

Tim K
06-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Gravity... she can be a real bitch at times. I swear, one day a weight will feel light and the next week the same weight feels like the world is smashing you flat.

Jesse Hernandez
06-17-2009, 06:49 PM

oh, the "off day" kinda thing...... yea that happens.

Ron C
06-19-2009, 08:40 AM
The SSB can make any day an "off" day!! Evil bar! The half way spot with that bar is the twilight zone. You can have great speed off the box, feel like you've got it for sure, then BAM...you hit that spot and everything falls apart. I do my bottom start gm's from the half way point. It seems to be helping.