PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

greemah
06-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Hey

I've gained a lot of fat bulking, I really didn't think I was eating too much but I guess I must have, as everything I ate was clean (except for two choc-nut bars a day which are probably not that great).

Normally for brekky I have 3 slices of toast, and a can of baked beans. If I cut that to 2 slices and a half can, that saves 331 calories, and loosing a nutbar a day makes a total deficit of 419 calories (according to fitday).

Would this be good for a cut? Or should I decrease by less calories to start? I'm also walking for half an hour on off days, and might start having a protein shake every day (instead of just post-workout) as I have it with water so I'm sure hasn't got many calories.

Let me know if you think this is a good way to cut. I still plan to lift heavy and hopefully continue to slowly make gains

tom183
06-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Would this be good for a cut? Or should I decrease by less calories to start?

Depends, what is 419 as a percentage of your maintenance?

greemah
06-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Sorry forgot to put that - I eat about 4500 a day

greemah
06-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Input anyone?

godofthunder
06-21-2009, 07:07 AM
how much d you weigh?
4500 kcal sounds like alot for cutting, unless your 300+ pounds i think....

greemah
06-22-2009, 12:51 AM
I weigh 220 (I'm 5'10")

4500 is what I currently eat, I'd be cutting to around 480.

Am I eating too much in general?

MissAbs
06-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Show us what a clean diet of 4500 calories looks like.

Pretty sure, that unless you carry a lot of mass, that is to many calories, to even think about cutting. Also what protein sources are you using and how many meals do you eat a day?

greemah
06-24-2009, 01:00 AM
This is my diet:

Breakfast:
3 slices toast (230 cal)
Can of baked beans (509 cal)
2 slices of cheese (168 cal)
Glass of trim milk (102 cal)

Snack:
Pottle of yogurt (243 cal)
Nut bar (78 cal)

Lunch:
4 slices wholemeal bread (319 cal)
2 slices luncheon (141 cal)
a few slices of lettuce (8 cal)
Spoon full of salted peanuts (120 cal)

Snack:
Banana (90 cal)
Nut bar (78 cal)

Dinner:
Around 4-5 cups of pasta with sauce (1574 cal)
Around 180 grams of beef or chicken or pork (499 cal)

Total: 4261 (must have miscalculated before)

And on workout days I have a protein shake. I have started. To cut down on calories I've changed breakfast to 2 slices of toast and a half can of baked beans, and am cutting out the morning nut bar which cuts out 485 calories.

MissAbs
06-24-2009, 04:07 AM
Ok so now what I want you to do is break down the macros of each food group so you have a good understanding of where the food is coming from

For a cutting diet, you have to many sugars ( carbs) and fat calories. Not enough protien.
This is all about learning, so do not worry, you just need to learn to feed yourself and the macro right. It is not just about calories it is about where the calories are coming from and how you layer them into the body.

So will be waiting for your break down of this menu in protein, carbs and fats.
MA

rbtrout
06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Right off the bat, your dinner is the problem. Just the pasta alone is nearly 2X - 3X that of breakfast's or lunch's total cals. A real easy solution, cut the pasta intake in 1/2. You'll drop 750 cals right off the bat. Run that for a week or two to let your body get used to the new lack of food and then cut a bit more out. Personally, I'd also make breakfast and lunch a bit smaller and make the 2 snacks a bit bigger, so you're eating more similarly sized meals.

Mr. Mustard
06-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Beans for breakfast? I hope you don't have a desk job and sit next to people.

greemah
06-25-2009, 04:30 AM
If I cut the pasta thats loosing a massive source of protein, so I'll have to make that up somehow else.

The lunch is just 2 sandwhiches - is that really too much??

How about this:

Breakfast:
2 slices toast (153 cal)
Half can of baked beans (256 cal)
2 slices of cheese (168 cal)

Snack:
2 Pottles of yogurt (486 cal)
Nut bar (78 cal)

Lunch:
4 slices wholemeal bread (319 cal)
2 slices luncheon (141 cal)
a few slices of lettuce (8 cal)

Snack:
Banana (90 cal)
Mandarin (40 cal)
Nut bar (78 cal)

Dinner:
Around 3 cups of pasta with sauce (945 cal)
Around 180 grams of beef or chicken or pork (499 cal)

Total cal: 3465

Would that be good enough? Any changes you think should be made?

MissAbs: I don't want to get too scientific with my eating, want to keep it relatively simple, but if I have to then I guess I will.. never really understood all the details of all that but never looked too much into it beyond basic food stats

mattburns
06-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Looks ok but there is still a lot of room for improvement protein wise IMO.

How many grams of protein would you be getting on the above diet? Looks very carb heavy to me. Especially the breakfast.

greemah
06-25-2009, 04:13 PM
That's got 206g of protein. Not including a daily protein shake.

Any suggested changes with this diet? e.g. a way to cut carbs and up the protein? I can't find a way to do it without calories going up too high. I would definately replace stuff with eggs etc in the breakfast but I hardly get enough sleep as it is so loosing an extra 15min to make eggs would be really bad

Bodyguard
06-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Trust me i used to be a fat a**. Divide your bodyweight by 2 and drink that many ounces of water per day, the bodyfat will fall right off.

P.S. This is really hard to do and you will pee like every ten minutes.

ELmx479
06-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Trust me i used to be a fat a**. Divide your bodyweight by 2 and drink that many ounces of water per day, the bodyfat will fall right off.

P.S. This is really hard to do and you will pee like every ten minutes.

So wait, If I drink a gallon of water a day and eat 5000 calories the fat will just fall off :confused:
It's about calories, not just water.

Kastro
06-28-2009, 08:07 PM
You seem to be of the impression that fat makes you fat. It doesn't.

An extremely high-carb diet like yours will, however.

greemah
06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Sounds like I'm definately eating too many carbs. Will the last routine I posted be better for this?

It seems all the foods that make up a seemingly balanced meal is really carb-heavy. I have to eat the same dinner as my girlfriend as she cooks it so I can't stray too much from the norm

Time+Patience
07-02-2009, 05:31 AM
One big item that can simplify your diet for yourself and us, is what type of diet would you like to follow one that's Carb low or Fat low, or just Calorie maintenance?

I'm not sure why you are favoring Carbs the way you do? I wanted to say that you must be a vegetarian, but I see 2 meals with meat.

First off to up your protein intake, I'd add in more meat, you can add it in a number of ways... Chicken, Ground Turkey, Tuna, any Red Meat. You can add lean meats, which won't up your calories much at all, while adding in protein by the handfuls.

I hear you about not having enough time, but in the evening, while you are watching TV or doing whatever, you can cook up a few days worth of meat, I do it usually 2 x's a week.

With my tuna, I add dill relish and an avacodo, it's all protein and fat, with limited carbs. It's not bad either.

I used to cook up Ground Turkey and Eggs the night before, and eat that for breakfast, it's all protein and fat also.

I follow diets with mostly Protein and Fat with low Carbs, and I see you like protein and carbs, but I would just advise you to look to eat more meat, and not just lunch meats.

I believe you have enough time to actually cook up some meats in the evening. You can shoot for Sundays and Thursdays to cook up some meat for a few days ahead of time.

Yogurt and Nuts are a quick snack that I enjoy, but it's a mix of Protein, Fats, and Carbs.

hankey
07-11-2009, 07:38 AM
One big item that can simplify your diet for yourself