PDA

View Full Version : Gum that doesn't contain Aspartame?

Mr. Mustard
06-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I must have been living in a box since I had never heard of Apartame till yesterday when my wife brought it up. She was telling me about all the dangers associated with the product and I shouldn't eat it as much as I do. Now I chew suger free gum ALL DAY LONG. Literally. I found out that it is in pretty much ever sugar free gum out there. Do any of you know of any gum that doesn't contain this stuff? Reading about it being associated with Alzheimer's freaks me the ***** out. My Grandma had it and my Grandfather has it and it is the most terrifying disease out there. To watch what it does to someone is devistating. I try to take percausions towards preventing Alztheimer's and I plan on adding this to it.

fitnhealthydad
06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Don't buy into the hype. Google "aspartame controversy" and read up on some of the history of this topic. I'm not a naive kid with my head in the sand who believes everything the government tells me, but I do believe that, if the dangers were really that genuine or that severe, the FDA would not allow it to continue being so widely used.

From Wiki:

Activism and internet rumors

An elaborate hoax disseminated through the internet attributes deleterious medical effects to aspartame. This conspiracy theory claims that the FDA approval process of aspartame was tainted[4][5][23] and cites as its source an email based upon a supposed talk by a "Nancy Markle" at a "World Environmental Conference."[4][5][24] Specifically, the hoax websites allege that aspartame is responsible for multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, and methanol toxicity, causing "blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects" and death.[7]

The dissemination of the Nancy Markle letter was considered so notable that the Media Awareness Network featured one version of it in a tutorial on how to determine the credibility of a web page. The tutorial implied that the Markle letter was not credible and stated that it should not be used as an authoritative source of information.[7] Betty Martini, who posted similar messages to Usenet newsgroups in late 1995 and early 1996,[5] claims that an unknown person combined her original letter with other information and redistributed it as Nancy Markle.[25] [26] She believes that there is a conspiracy between the FDA and the producers of aspartame. This conspiracy theory has become a canonical example discussed on several internet conspiracy theory and urban legend websites.[5][27][28] Although most of the allegations of this theory contradict the bulk of medical evidence,[4] this misinformation has spread around the world as chain emails since mid-December 1998,[5] influencing many websites[27] as an urban legend that continues to scare consumers.[4]

Mercuryblade
06-18-2009, 10:27 AM
^^

The ZOMG ASPARTAME!!111 thing is bull****.

But if you are really worried about it, there are plenty of gums found in organic/natural foods stores sweetened with xylitol.

Like anything it's all about moderation. A lot of these studies use extreme levels of a substance to determine its toxicity.
If there's one thing to take away from the nutrition information on this site, it's that there isn't always a clear distinction between "good" things for your body and "bad" things, it's all about appropriate levels and moderation.

Holto
06-18-2009, 10:27 AM
The evidence to support the safety of aspartame is staggering. When I consume it, I feel nausea so I stay far away.

Reko
06-18-2009, 12:05 PM
gum has like a (single) gram, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Aspartame is the most studied artificial sweetener on the entire planet. It's fine... seriously.

Optimum08
06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Aspartame is the most studied artificial sweetener on the entire planet. It's fine... seriously.

Unless your consuming pounds of it daily, then it would be a problem.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Unless your consuming pounds of it daily, then it would be a problem.
If you're an idiot and consuming that much, yes.