PDA

View Full Version : any1 here good with low carb diets?

imabeast
06-18-2009, 03:56 PM
im going to be starting the ss program and im currently on a lowcarb diet for life kinda thing (diabetes type2). was wondering if anyone is a professional in this area and knows how to properly manage my scenerio to help put me on a path to get big.

Unreal
06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
You don't need carbs to get big, just calories. Carbs help. Can't you eat low GI carbs? Oats/etc?

Just make sure you hit your caloric goal and you will get big.

Auburn
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Try adding some carbs during/after your workout. Not a ton, just something. The problem with trying to put on weight on a low carb diet is that protein synthesis is blunted in a glycogen depleted state.

imabeast
06-19-2009, 02:11 PM
im diabetic type 2 ppl. i cant add carbs here and there. so how can i encourage protein not to be 'blunted'? what is or how to figure out my calorie intake goal?

Optimum08
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
As a Type 2 diabetic (I don't know anything about the different levels) you can't have any carbs whatsoever?

Holto
06-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Replace carbs with fat. Carry on...

Auburn
06-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Are you on metformin or another sensitizer? Why do you think that you can't add carbohydrates during/post exercise? What is your current weight and body fat?

imabeast
06-19-2009, 08:57 PM
i am on januvamet which is two drugs in one. yes one of them is metaforim i believe. my carb intake needs to be around 60 carbs for a meal and about 30 for a snack. 3 meals a day and 3 snacks. why sure i abuse a little here and there but can make up for it by like not having a snack or so forth. im about 125 lbs. i would say 7-9% bodyfat maybe? i dunno. i use to have less than 5% in highschool. im still pretty fit and muscular and physical strong for my size. not sure if you can see me as hulk there under my name but im no where near overweight.

for those who need a quick difference:
type 1 uses a needle and can pretty much eat what they want because they can adjust how much insulin to give themselves
type 2 takes a pill because their pancreas still works some. they need to be more careful what they eat to keep their levels in an exceptable range. diet and exercise is the control here, since you cant adjust amount of insulin given.

Unreal
06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Thats plenty of carbs. I eat 100-200g a day total and have no issues making gains. 60gx3 is more then I eat on most days. Just eat as much carbs as you can handle and fill the rest with protein and fat. 270g a day is plenty!

Auburn
06-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that's plenty and not a low-carb diet.

imabeast
06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Yeah, that's plenty and not a low-carb diet.

according to the nutritionist it is. i guess it depends on your definition of "low".

so should i "carb up" half hour or so before workout then protien shake afterwards?

also anyone know if creatine will affect my meds at all?

Auburn
06-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Considering the ADA and their stance on diets, I'm not surprised. At 125 lbs., that's probably about half your total Calories from carbs. You don't need to carb up, you're fine.

Creatine should have no effect.

Mercuryblade
06-19-2009, 11:34 PM
according to the nutritionist it is. i guess it depends on your definition of "low".

so should i "carb up" half hour or so before workout then protien shake afterwards?

also anyone know if creatine will affect my meds at all?

Getting only 60g of carbs in a meal is not tough at all though, that's like 4 slices of bread, or 2 cups of pasta.

I'm interested to know why your nutritionist decided on 60g of carbs per meal. Your blood sugar level is going to respond very differently to 60g of carb from white bread (high GI) versus 60g of carbs from whole wheat pasta (low-moderate GI). Throw decent amounts of fat or fibrous vegetables and you delay the uptake of glucose further.

I guess they want you to be safe (which is a good idea, as you don't want to go into a coma), but I suggest maybe shopping around for a better nutritionist. You can definitely manage your blood sugar levels by making sure you take in appropriate fats and lots of fiber with your meals.

Skalami
06-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Google it, low carb body building, low carb weightlifting their are a lot of people in the same scenario or who go low carb for other reasons. Low carb can be very good as more fat keeps your testosterone levels higher then a moderate/low fat diet.

Progress
06-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Allocate the carbs you do eat to before and immediately after your routine.

Optimum08
06-22-2009, 09:03 AM
270g. carbs a day is more than enough. On my current cut i take in 75-100g. carbs almost all of which is structure around my workout and i avoid carbs throughout the rest of the day.