PDA

View Full Version : Foods to stay away from?

one-bl
06-18-2009, 08:49 PM
So as most people are, I'm looking to get that beach body, those 6 pack abs. I feel like I've got a pretty steady diet, but it's mainly focused around bulking. I stay away completely from sweets and chocolate and junk like that, aside from an occasional once a week snack every now and then, but I assure you I've got self control. The only sugar I eat is from fruit etc. That's all basic stuff that anyone could know however. What I wanna know, is what other kinda foods I should start to stay away from and eliminate from my diet. What things are killing me and prevent me from getting that 6 pack that I'm not knowing about? Thanks!!

Unreal
06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
No reason to stay away from chocolate or sweets. I eat as much chocolate as I can and I still have abs.

Whatever fits into your diet plans and caloric/macro goals. If you can swing a snickers bar or icecream into your diet and still hit your macros then go for it. The only thing I avoid are stuff loaded with transfat.

brihead301
06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Personally, I avoid sugar mainly. I also avoid starchy carbs like breads and stuff.

I get my carbs from vegetables, whole milk (from my protien shakes), and my sugars from bananas.

I see fats as a good thing, so I don't avoid them at all.

Optimum08
06-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I tend to not handle carbs that well, so in my current cut i'm eating as minimal carbs as possible and only consuming carbs around my workout.

Its very person-dependent though, as some people can handle carbs very well even on a cut.

MissAbs
06-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Show us what a typical day looks like and will see if we can help. The abs, ( trust me) are the last to come and it depends on where you carry your fat.

MA

viru87
06-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Stop eating artificial sweeteners. eating artificial sweeteners is big reason to gain weight. Eating vegetarian food is the best choice.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Stop eating artificial sweeteners. eating artificial sweeteners is big reason to gain weight.
No it isn't. There is no correlation between artificial sweeteners causing magical weight gain. It's calories in vs. calories out.

Optimum08
06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Stop eating artificial sweeteners. eating artificial sweeteners is big reason to gain weight. Eating vegetarian food is the best choice.

Wrong.

PowerBuilder
06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
No it isn't. There is no correlation between artificial sweeteners causing magical weight gain. It's calories in vs. calories out.

There is nothing magical about it, it has to do with the bodys release of insulin (and artificial sweeteners raise insulin levels via the sweet taste receptors in the enteroendocrine cells) which is detrimental to fat loss in two ways:

1. It's impossible to lose weight while having high insulin levels in your bloodstream (since insulin activates lipoprotein lipase which blocks the release of triglycerides from fat cells. It also hinders hormone sensitive lipase which is responsible for the breakdown of stored fats)

2. It will clear your bloodstream of glucose (because of the insulin response) which will make you hungry.

Calories in vs calories out doesn't take into account the bodys response to the macro nutrient ingested so it's not entirely true, having high insulin levels while on a low calorie diet will induce glucogenesis from your stored amino acids (that is, it will break down muscle tissue).

Mercuryblade
06-23-2009, 03:35 PM

He's a spammer, look at his signature.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
1. It's impossible to lose weight while having high insulin levels in your bloodstream
No, being in a caloric deficit while eating artificial sweeteners isn't going to keep you from losing weight. Don't know what kind of crackpot science you're trying to spit out here, but that's wrong. Now, if you want to talk about body composition relative to weight loss based on the types of foods you are consuming, then you'll have a point.

2. It will clear your bloodstream of glucose (because of the insulin response) which will make you hungry.
Hunger? We're talking about packets of artificial sweeteners here. And when you're on a controlled weight loss diet, most people here have the balls to have a little willpower and not give into such ******ed bodily responses. Most people here also practice macro varieties to satiate our appetites to the point of staving off hunger as much as possible while in a caloric deficit. You're basically saying with Point #2 that eating more makes you fat. Congratulations.

Doobs
06-23-2009, 03:40 PM
There is nothing magical about it, it has to do with the bodys release of insulin which is detrimental to fat loss in two ways:

1. It's impossible to lose weight while having high insulin levels in your bloodstream (since insulin activates lipoprotein lipase which blocks the release of triglycerides from fat cells. It also hinders hormone sensitive lipase which is responsible for the breakdown of stored fats)

Calories in vs calories out doesn't take into account the bodys response to the macro nutrient ingested so it's not entirely true, having high insulin levels while on a low calorie diet will induce glucogenesis from your stored amino acids (that is, it will break down muscle tissue).

You're talking about muscle and fat, he's talking about total weight. Calories in vs. calories out is the only relation that can possibly affect total weight (except water weight). Insulin levels are one of the factors determining what percentage of that total weight is muscle and fat.

PowerBuilder
06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
No, being in a caloric deficit while eating artificial sweeteners isn't going to keep you from losing weight. Don't know what kind of crackpot science you're trying to spit out here, but that's wrong. Now, if you want to talk about body composition relative to weight loss based on the types of foods you are consuming, then you'll have a point.

True, you'll still lose weight even if your insulin is high on a calorie deficient diet but probably not the weight you'd want to lose, if you don't believe me on this then simply search for the enzymes i mentioned, when they are active and inhibited and what they do. It doesn't matter WHAT it is that raises your insulin levels, the end result is the same.

Now, if you don't believe that insulin levels are raised when you ingest artificial sweeteners then feel free to search pubmed, there are plenty of studies made.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
True, you'll still lose weight even if your insulin is high on a calorie deficient diet but probably not the weight you'd want to lose
No, you said this ~>

It's impossible to lose weight while having high insulin levels in your bloodstream
Now you're changing what you said.

if you don't believe me on this then simply search for the enzymes i mentioned, when they are active and inhibited and what they do. It doesn't matter WHAT it is that raises your insulin levels, the end result is the same.

Now, if you don't believe that insulin levels are raised when you ingest artificial sweeteners then feel free to search pubmed, there are plenty of studies made.
I'm quite aware of the functions of insulin in regards to body composition and weight loss, thank you. I was referring to overall body weight and you failed to comprehend what I wrote and went off on a tangent about body composition and even went as far to say that you can't lose weight in a caloric deficit when insulin is involved and then changed what you said moments later. If you're going to be wrong, at least stand firm about it.

PowerBuilder
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
No, you said this ~>

Now you're changing what you said.

I'm quite aware of the functions of insulin in regards to body composition and weight loss, thank you. I was referring to overall body weight and you failed to comprehend what I wrote and went off on a tangent about body composition and even went as far to say that you can't lose weight in a caloric deficit when insulin is involved and then changed what you said moments later. If you're going to be wrong, at least stand firm about it.

You'll have to forgive me for assuming that people on this forum are not out to lose as much muscle as possible, i took weight loss to mean fat loss (which my post in its entirety makes perfectly clear).

I don't get where i went off on a tangent though, i've been nothing but curteous towards you.

Unreal
06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
I eat tons of artificial sweetener and I went from a 46" waist fatass to a 6 pack. Even if it does temporarily spike insulin, who cares. Your insulin won't be up the whole day. If eating something sweet prevents me from eating extra calories then it works for me.

manboobz
06-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Cut out soft drinks!!!

michaelz45
06-23-2009, 10:49 PM
candy!

joey54
06-24-2009, 03:45 PM
In simple terms anything which is "enriched", has more than a few ingredients, or has ingredients for which you have no clue what they are.

Reko
06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, mine :evillaugh:

bagz5769
06-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I never knew what to choose at the supermarket. I know the basics, no sugar and stuff but the labels they put on the stuff in the supermarket are complicated. I found this article that really helped me out with my nutrition, check it out...
http://www.truthaboutabs.com/healthy-choices-grocery-store.html

Skalami
06-26-2009, 07:46 AM
So if artificial sweeteners spike insulin levels would popping a few in your post workout shake be a good idea? Again i go back to my hard working days/fast muscle gaining days when i would drink jet fuel coffee all day at work with lots of splenda mixed in. Never had a problem with my fat gain.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-26-2009, 11:26 AM
So if artificial sweeteners spike insulin levels would popping a few in your post workout shake be a good idea? Again i go back to my hard working days/fast muscle gaining days when i would drink jet fuel coffee all day at work with lots of splenda mixed in. Never had a problem with my fat gain.
Splenda is chlorinated sugar and contains 0 calories as it is intended to pass right through your system. So it shouldn't cause an insulin spike.

Y2A
06-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes, mine :evillaugh:

I just pictured you trying to bite someones hand off for reaching for something on your plate. :ninja: