PDA

View Full Version : My first videos - 425 and 430 raw bench

jmccown
06-19-2009, 04:43 AM
I want to say thanks to you guys for helping me get back on track with my routine. 2 months ago I had a miss on a 405 attempt and I posted how my routine was going downhill. Several guys gave me good suggestions and I followed. I have only been powerlifting for less than a year in the NASA fed. My first meet was last November 2008 where I hit a 369. In April I hit 385 with a 402 miss on a third attempt. After that meet I changed up my routine a bit and started taking Nitrean and creatine 500. I hadn't been using any supplements prior to this. So I have seen some nice gains since starting the supps. In the vids I weigh 243. I compete in the 242 class, holding a little water weight at the moment. My next meet is in July, followed by a meet in October and one in November. One of the meets is a nationals event.

Anyhow here are the vids, go easy on the new guy :)

I think I need some tricep work as my bench is lagging on the top. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUjutyZHyLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROtNTenwgU

JasonLift
06-19-2009, 05:11 AM
Congrats on the lifts. 45 pound pr in roughly 2 months is awesome.

Travis Bell
06-19-2009, 06:42 AM
You just need to get tighter in your upper back and shoulders to help keep your triceps in a more solid groove.

Watch how your elbows wobble back and fourth near the top, plus they flared pretty early

Congrats on the PR though

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
06-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Congratulations on your pr! You are reaping the benefit from changing your routine. Keep it up the great work. I look forward to seeing you compete in July or Oct.

jmccown
06-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys. I'm working on my elbows as well as my arch. When I'm on the bench it feels like I have a good arch, but looking at the video I am pretty flat. I think I tuck pretty good on the descent but flare on the way back up, so I'll continue working on that. My goal is to hit a 450 raw this year and a 500 raw end of 2010. Right now I am probably good for a 420 paused bench.

vdizenzo
06-19-2009, 08:05 AM
Nice lifting. That little bit of bloat looks good on you :thumbup: Trav is definiitely right about your back. You need to dig your traps under you. You will need to bring the rack down a little also. Great improvements overall. Keep it up.

mosley1990
06-19-2009, 08:10 AM
awesome job!

jmccown
06-19-2009, 08:49 AM
LOL, thanks Vin and Mosley. I'm carrying about 8 lbs of bloat ATM. My norm is 235. But as long as my bench keeps going up I'm not going to worry much about cutting weight even if it means lifting in the 275 class.

Brian C
06-19-2009, 10:08 AM
You will need to bring the rack down a little also. .

I thought the same. Looks a little high. Close grip as well(pinky on ring?) Have you tried a wider grip? Great lifts. Congrats

jmccown
06-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I've tried mixing my grip but feel most comfortable with the pinky on the ring. Also, feels like it really strains my left pec if I go any wider.

MarcusWild
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Going with the idea of more stability, why not use wrist wraps? That's great progress for 2 months!

Andre518
06-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Great job! I would have also suggested moving the rack down some. Other than that I find it amazing when people lift weight RAW! Keep progressing.

powerm64
06-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Great job, what kind of routine are use using to help boost your bench?

jmccown
06-19-2009, 08:03 PM
westside style. One DE day and one ME day, changing up the styles of the lift every couple of weeks if not every week. One big thing is getting enough protein to repair muscle, I am guilty of not having enough in the past. I've also learned that more isn't always better.

mastermonster
06-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Great job, but please tell me that you don't push the limit that close without a spotter all the time. I'd hate to someday see a vid of a dead lifter on the bench. Lift hard but be careful brother! Again, great raw lifting...keep it up...just please have someone else there on the heavy stuff. By the way. Your raw bench is heavier than mine! No telling where it will end up. Maybe some high board work would help some with strengthening the lockout. I think there's some worth in boards for raw as well as shirted. Impressive!

jmccown
06-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks. I have the rack pins in case I miss the lift. I lift by myself 90% of the time. My lifting partner is off with an injured shoulder ATM.