PDA

View Full Version : Basketball workout for explosiveness and vertical leap

piothepio
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Hey all I'm currently doing a 4 day workout program for basketball with hopes of increasing my overall strength but especially my vertical leap. I am 6 feet 155 pounds and lanky so I obviously have a lot of work to do. I'm hoping to add about 20 pounds to my frame by the end of the upcoming school year, and would like to also add inches to my vertical as I can already easily touch rim now without strong legs (I squat about 145).

My workout is currently:
Day 1 - Chest/Tri
Flat bench
dumbbell bench
Tricep pulldown etc

Day 2 - Back/Bi
Deadlift
Curls
Rows (Many different types) etc

Day 3 - Explosion/Shoulders
Power Cleans
Snatch
Various workouts for shoulders

Day 4 - Legs
Squats, Calf Raises

Basically, my Day 3 and 4 workouts obviously need a lot of work. I left out a lot of my workouts for my other days because I'm pretty much all set with those. Does anyone have any suggestions to add to work out my legs and explosion? I'm open to everything.

slashkills
06-20-2009, 04:34 PM
The Vertical jump bible also has a ton of info on improving vertical jump and explosiveness. It talks alot about plyometrics which will really help you out.

AJ_H
06-22-2009, 06:45 AM
look into dynamic effort work.

Sensei
06-22-2009, 03:20 PM
The thing you need the most, do first. First in the week, first in the training session, first.

Adding 20 pounds to your frame and adding inches to your vertical are not exactly what I'd call aligned goals. If you're young (which you are), then you can probably get away with it.

Eat better and eat more. Eat a substantial breakfast EVERYDAY. Start there (remember the thing I said about "first"?).

Do pull-ups/chin-ups. Can't do them? Fine, do jumping chins, or add a band, until you can do regular chins.

Seek out some good coaching - someone who knows something about proper hip function. http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html

Do some research. I don't know about the Vertical Jump Bible - is that Kelly Baggett's? If so, it's probably pretty good. The booklet by Rooney and DeFranco is pretty good too. I'm sure there are plenty of good, free online resources as well.

slashkills
06-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Do some research. I don't know about the Vertical Jump Bible - is that Kelly Baggett's? If so, it's probably pretty good. The booklet by Rooney and DeFranco is pretty good too. I'm sure there are plenty of good, free online resources as well.

Yes, its written by Kelly Bagget.

Here are some good qoutes from the bible

The vertical jump is a test of power.
Power is a side effect of explosive strength and is determined by a simple equation:
Power = Force x Velocity

To break it down just realize that power and explosive strength simply mean the ability to apply a lot of force in minimal time. The more force you can put out and the faster you can apply that force, the higher your power output will be. In order to understand how to improve power, it helps if we to know how to manipulate each component of the equation, force and velocity.

Strength as the Backbone
Let’s go back to the importance of power production and our power equation
(Power = Force x Velocity)

You should be able to see that you can increase power either through an increase in force or an increase in velocity. However, it is generally accepted that the maximum force you put out is going to be the main determining factor for an increase in power. This is due to many reasons, one being that maximum strength is the foundation for all the other
strength qualities such as speed, power etc. Think of this. If you weigh 150 lbs and your goal is to move your bodyweight off the ground as fast and as far as you can - and you are only capable of putting out 200 lbs of force, what is going to happen? If you can only squat 200 lbs then trying to move your 150 lb. bodyweight requires a significant portion of your maximum strength. You’d have to use 75% of your maximum strength just to
move your own body. In this situation you’re probably not going to be moving very fast or jumping very high! Another example that may hit home – A space shuttle with a 4 horsepower motor surely won’t make it out of the earth’s atmosphere in a hurry!

You routine you posted is more of a bodybuilding routine. If possible switch to westside for skinny bastards by joe defranco. You can manipulate it so that you continue to work on both parts of the equation, force and velocity.
His routines have room for plyometrics and a great strength training routine.
Plus unlike the vertical jump bible all of his routines are free. I forgot you had to pay for the VJB.