PDA

View Full Version : I think Mike Siegler is competing today

cmirabile
06-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I think Mike Siegler is lifting today.....he's the one who does quite a few amazing benches on youtube, like 605# for a raw double, 500# for 8, and 405 for 15....he hasn't lifted in competition in years but mentioned on one of the vids that he was training for a meet in Minnesota June 20Th...hopefully we'll get some results. I think he was planning on putting up something over 600# raw officially as a 242#er.....that would make him only the 4th or 5th to do so (Mike MacDonald, Sam Samaniego, Jeremy Hoornstra, and Rock Lewis). Jeremy's 615# raw is the highest so far.

Jesse Hernandez
06-20-2009, 03:47 PM
edmond huh? I got a few friends up that way, where do you train?

barbell01
06-20-2009, 04:46 PM
i lifted at the same meet, he benched 575, 600 successfully and then missed 620. he is a monster. i have video, i will try to get it up later.

barbell01
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM
oh, yes, RAW at 242lb b.w.

cmirabile
06-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I usually train at one of the Aspen Gyms....I typically train alone, sadly. My work hours are pretty crazy, so I typically hit the gym heavy once a week. Any good lifter friendly gyms around?
Mike is definitely a beast. I am very happy for him joining the raw 600# club...he deserves it. Can't wait to see the video!

barbell01
06-20-2009, 10:52 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3jNtRoKrek&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m3jNtRoKrek&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mike siegler 600# raw. he wanted to bench on this ****ty gym bench instead of the metal militia. he said he didn't like how soft the pad was. i hope this link works. i had to put it on youtube and copy and paste. (idk how to work computers)

barbell01
06-20-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3jNtRoKrek

vdizenzo
06-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Great lift, but was this a snactioned meet? No singlet and benching on the bench that he wanted to? I don't get it. Regardless, the guy is strong as an ox.

Brian C
06-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow, that went up with the quickness

DrDudley-Robey
06-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Very strong - Now I look forward to seeing him on a big stage!

barbell01
06-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Great lift, but was this a snactioned meet? No singlet and benching on the bench that he wanted to? I don't get it. Regardless, the guy is strong as an ox.

this was the first meet for the MPF, minnesota powerlifting fed., it was basicly an unnoficial sanctioned meet. if that makes any sence?.. new fed, had to buy a card, kinda fun just to get the fed going i guess. idk, i brought my singlet but they said i don't have to wear it so i benched in a metal ace with camo cargo shorts! who knows what will happen with this fed. either way a fun meet.

Rob Luyando
06-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Strong bench! But do we really need another federation clogging up the sport. Unreal.

barbell01
06-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Strong bench! But do we really need another federation clogging up the sport. Unreal.

no offense, but yes! minnesota has a severe lack of powerlifting meets going on. wisconsin has meets going on every weekend and minnesota ain't got $hit. UPA iowa rules but there needs to be a few more small minnesota feds to get poeple involved in the sport. i think it is fantastic.

Rob Luyando
06-21-2009, 03:31 PM
no offense, but yes! minnesota has a severe lack of powerlifting meets going on. wisconsin has meets going on every weekend and minnesota ain't got $hit. UPA iowa rules but there needs to be a few more small minnesota feds to get poeple involved in the sport. i think it is fantastic.

If you say so. Contact Kenny Patterson (since you mentioned UPA) or Amy from the APF I am sure if there is a strong interest they could get some meets up there.

Not many meets in a lot of areas does that meed we need 100 new feds?

barbell01
06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
If you say so. Contact Kenny Patterson (since you mentioned UPA) or Amy from the APF I am sure if there is a strong interest they could get some meets up there.

Not many meets in a lot of areas does that meed we need 100 new feds?

i can see what you mean, atleast it is called MINNESOTA p-lifting fed. so it is only minnesota. i would love to get some upa meets up this way, however poeple need to lift in these meets so getting poeple interested is first priority. Lloyd hemmingway had a small group that heads down to iowa quite often also scott nutters elite barbell has a few guys. No offense, but these are all basicly bench only guys that i have mentioned and this tiny fed will be good for recruiting strong poeple to the sport in minnesota. another fed, o' well. i have no problem traveling. i respect your opinion and your contribution to the sport rob. in the future i will try getting upa or apf into minnesota. thanx, jeff

vdizenzo
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Another fed starting does not really help powerlifting. If someone is collecting card money then someone wants money. Otherwise just have an existing fed sanction the meet. I was reading about the meet on plwatch and was surprised. I won't say it over there because I don't want to get verbally abused by mr. anonymous, but askng to switch benches is over the top. Gene has done it and gotten abused. I can't imagine asking to switch benches. He said like he felt like a "dick" but he still did it.

Mike himself said guys were wearing elbow sleeves. I don't agree with that either. I think singlets are important also because otherwise guys are going to wear baggy shorts and shirts to they can lift their asses off the bench. I hope this fed is not recognized.

This is just my opinion. There is no doubt Mike is a freak. I just don't agree with how the whole thing went down.

barbell01
06-21-2009, 08:32 PM
this is not my fed so i dont really matter, but i don't think you have to worry, this fed, recognized or not, isn't going to affect your lives in any way. it is what it is, mike siegler is a beast, he benches over 600 @ 242 and that is what this thread is about. so lets just forget about what fed is good or bad or whatever and move on.

vdizenzo
06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
this is not my fed so i dont really matter, but i don't think you have to worry, this fed, recognized or not, isn't going to affect your lives in any way. it is what it is, mike siegler is a beast, he benches over 600 @ 242 and that is what this thread is about. so lets just forget about what fed is good or bad or whatever and move on.

I'm sorry, I do care. This is why this sport is so F'd up, because nobody cares. If it affects nobody than why bother even lifting. Just put up numbers in your garage and post vids on youtube. I acknowledged he's a beast, but it does not mean I have to agree with all that went on with the meet. I am entitled to my opinion.

With that said I hope Mike goes on to hit even bigger numbers in sanctioned meets under the same conditions as everyone else. I want him to pass Jeremy in hopes that he comes out again. I have no idea where he has been.

barbell01
06-22-2009, 05:19 AM
, but it does not mean I have to agree with all that went on with the meet. I am entitled to my opinion.

With that said I hope Mike goes on to hit even bigger numbers in sanctioned meets under the same conditions as everyone else. I want him to pass Jeremy in hopes that he comes out again. I have no idea where he has been.

i agree, he will pass jeremy up. a few weeks ago mike hit 645 in the gym i think. the way that 600 looked, i dont know how he missed the 620.

Rob Luyando
06-22-2009, 06:34 AM
There is also WABL, USPF, SPF sanctions to choose from. Any one can run a sanctioned meet with any Federation just takes a little time to do your homework is all.

Mike is a beast and I did not intend to take any of the hype away from him with my coment.

Travis Bell
06-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Rob hit the nail on the head.

If you want to run a sanctioned meet, just get it sanctioned! It's stupid easy.

People need to support the current federations by having their meets sanctioned by them. I don't really care if it's SPF, UPA, IPA, USPF whatever. There are feds out there to meet anyone's needs for a meet.

The problem I hear more times than not is a particular meet director (not saying this was the problem with this meet, probably wasn't) wants to run a lifter friendly, low rent meet. They don't want to get into lining up certified judges, equipment, spotters and loaders, lights, PA system, warmup area, venue etc. There indeed is a lot that goes into running a meet. So they just grab a crapper sanction that allows them to run it as they like. That's what I find irritating.

If you want to run a backyard friendly meet, make it unsanctioned. Jeff Begue did this last weekend at his gym. I was not able to attend, but heard it was a great time and ran great. He didn't require a ton of the rules, but it was non sanctioned as well. I wish more meet directors would just go the non sanctioned route instead of trying to legitimize group training days.

MarcusWild
06-22-2009, 10:52 AM
One thing that most meet sanctions do for you is provide liability insurance. As a lifter, you should care about if there's insurance incase something happens to you. Don't just assume the venue insurance will cover you, because they probably have a pretty narrow list of approved activities. I just shopped for gym insurance, and I was surprised at how specific you have to be about your activities.

barbell01
06-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Rob hit the nail on the head.

If you want to run a sanctioned meet, just get it sanctioned! It's stupid easy.

People need to support the current federations by having their meets sanctioned by them. I don't really care if it's SPF, UPA, IPA, USPF whatever. There are feds out there to meet anyone's needs for a meet.

The problem I hear more times than not is a particular meet director (not saying this was the problem with this meet, probably wasn't) wants to run a lifter friendly, low rent meet. They don't want to get into lining up certified judges, equipment, spotters and loaders, lights, PA system, warmup area, venue etc. There indeed is a lot that goes into running a meet. So they just grab a crapper sanction that allows them to run it as they like. That's what I find irritating.

If you want to run a backyard friendly meet, make it unsanctioned. Jeff Begue did this last weekend at his gym. I was not able to attend, but heard it was a great time and ran great. He didn't require a ton of the rules, but it was non sanctioned as well. I wish more meet directors would just go the non sanctioned route instead of trying to legitimize group training days.

i agree with all of this. but it is what it is. the prez of the fed also owns "the gym" in elk river minnesota, maybe if somebody cares about it that much they should call HIM and tell him what they think. Will i lift in this fed again? probobly not, i just did it for fun and it was fun. otherwise, i completely agree with travis' statement......

vdizenzo
06-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Barbell, nobody is blaming you. Also, nobody thinks it's bad to lift in an unsanctioned meet. It's fun just to lift. Here is what pisses us off, the guy is collecting card money, but what is he offering? If he's charging an entry then the card fee is just going in his pocket. That is just greed. It offers nothing back. We are just pionting this out to you and others on this forum. This is no reflection on you or Mike.