PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on protein shakes vs tuna

TXslapshot
06-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I lately have been broke and not able to afford protein shakes after every workout. When I cannot afford a shake, i eat 2 cans of tuna in water right after the workout. I tend to stick to tuna by itself, it feels light in the stomach and about an hour afterwards I am ready for a full meal. I was wondering is there a big difference in how fast these proteins digest and am I losing out by eating tuna and not taking in a shake?

vdizenzo
06-20-2009, 04:25 PM
My biggest concern would be about the mercury in the tuna. You might want to look into that.

TXslapshot
06-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Good point. Now im a little worried with all the tuna ive been ingesting lately.

imabeast
06-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Good point. Now im a little worried with all the tuna ive been ingesting lately.

your fine. mercury is only in certain types of fish. and the amount in low level tuna- well lets say you would have to be eating ALOT of tuna to harm you. i use to eat like 2-3 cans a day and never had anything happen. just research which type of tuna that has low levels of it b/c different companies use different fish for their tuna. so some brands are more harmful and some are not.

TXslapshot
06-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Cool, I tend to eat wal marts chunk light tuna. Its cheap and in water which I like, Ive researched which tunas have the most mercury and i found albacore has the most mercury where light tuna had the least amount of mercury per serving. Ive also been informed of some cheap EAS protein blend which ill invest in so i dont have to eat so much fish/tuna.

MissAbs
06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Why wouldn't you be putting some carbs back into your body after you train? I am not thinking the tuna is going to do that for you.
Best if you have a smaller amount of protein post work out and re-feed the muscle.
Just a thought
MA

imabeast
06-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Cool, I tend to eat wal marts chunk light tuna. Its cheap and in water which I like, Ive researched which tunas have the most mercury and i found albacore has the most mercury where light tuna had the least amount of mercury per serving. Ive also been informed of some cheap EAS protein blend which ill invest in so i dont have to eat so much fish/tuna.

just be careful b/c some of light tuna is made with fish with high levels. but again you can research the light brands that have the low levels of merc.

vdizenzo
06-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Just don't eat tuna everyday, even if it's the lower level mercury. It builds up in your system over time. I'm not trying to scare you it's just not worth the risk. Tuna 2-3 times a week is fine.

TXslapshot
06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Cool all info is appreciated. Miss Abs- I tend to eat alot of carbs about 45min to an hour after i eat the tuna, as well as a bit more protein. I may be waiting to long to refuel with carbs. Any tips are much appreciated.

teeroy
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
You should eat some carbs with your post workout protein. Studies have shown that the insulin spike results in a significant increase in protein synthesis. Significant being upwards of a 60% increase. The sooner you marry the carbs and protein the better. The longer you wait the less impact the insulin will have on protein synthesis with 45 minutes being the longest you want to wait.

LuNa
06-20-2009, 11:01 PM

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126051

There are a couple of posts in there about EAS and stomach problems. I have never used EAS myself but i thought i would just highlight it.

Big Jay
06-21-2009, 07:18 AM
how much is your can of tuna?... i find a scoop of protein powder is usually the cheapest source of protein.

MissAbs
06-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Read 3 times what teeroy wrote.... it couldn't be said any better than that. And get your carbs in you!

TXslapshot
06-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Will do Abs. Big Jay I pay $1.30 for 2 cans(44 gs of protein). I have yet to find a shake thatll deliver that amount of protein for the price. Any tips or info is much needed.

Hickory
06-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I have never heard of anyone being harmed by 'mercury buildup' from eating too much tuna. Sounds completely absurd. Have I been living under a rock for the past 23 years? :confused:

Big Jay
06-22-2009, 04:10 AM
I have never heard of anyone being harmed by 'mercury buildup' from eating too much tuna. Sounds completely absurd. Have I been living under a rock for the past 23 years? :confused:
Mercury usually causes no symptoms at low levels. However, if high levels of mercury build up in the human body, they can affect the brain and nerves. In addition, effects that can occur at high levels include learning problems and birth defects in children.

Will do Abs. Big Jay I pay $1.30 for 2 cans(44 gs of protein). I have yet to find a shake thatll deliver that amount of protein for the price. Any tips or info is much needed.
Iím from the UK and get my protein from a UK supplement company online, but Iím sure someone in the supplement section should be able to advise you on a quality protein powder for good value (Moderator Tom Mutaffis has a lot of trustworthy knowledge on supps).

But hereís your tuna compared to my reasonable quality whey.
Tuna - $1.30 gets you 2 cans and 44 g protein
Whey - $46 (+$13 for delivery) gets me a 5lbs tub. Each 25grams scoop gives me 20 grams of protein costing $0.295. So $0.59 for 40 grams or $0.74 for 50 grams of protein
Of course having actual meat in your diet is a good idea, but some whey can be very useful.

Sensei
06-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Damn.... Why does the choice have to be protein powder or tuna?... Why don't people eat something palatable? Maybe it just me, but after eating a few tins of tuna when I was in my early 20s, I NEVER EVER wanted to do that again.

Optimum08
06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
You should eat some carbs with your post workout protein. Studies have shown that the insulin spike results in a significant increase in protein synthesis. Significant being upwards of a 60% increase. The sooner you marry the carbs and protein the better. The longer you wait the less impact the insulin will have on protein synthesis with 45 minutes being the longest you want to wait.

The 'anabolic window' post-workout has been shown to be 'open' up to 60 minutes after a training session.

But protein+simple carbs in a shake PWO is ideal, with the carb source being dextrose or maltodextrin.

MissAbs
06-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Truth be know, I eat very little tuna. I think it is gross.

Turkey Steaks
96% lean ground beef
Chicken
Eggs
Egg Whites
FF Cottage Cheese
Flank Steak
Bison
White Fish ( Haddock)

Mercuryblade
06-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Why don't people eat something palatable? Maybe it just me, but after eating a few tins of tuna when I was in my early 20s, I NEVER EVER wanted to do that again.

Lack of money can help make tuna not taste so bland and disgusting.

Real meat is for millionaires.

Big Jay
06-22-2009, 12:46 PM

Real meat is for millionaires.
lmao yeah just tuna, whey, milk and nuts for my protein. Although I'm quite picky with meat... like it lean which usually = expensive

PowerBuilder
06-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Actually, whey causes a significant spike in insulin by itself (any rapidly absorbed macro-nutrient does, for obvious reasons) so when watching carbs or just cals in general there is no real need to add carbs. If you are not watching your weight though then go right ahead, carbs are just cheap fuel.

For some reason (don't ask me why, i don't know why) tuna causes an even greater spike.

To the OP, tuna is just fine as a replacement for other forms of protein.

Sensei
06-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Real meat is for millionaires.I've been poor before and it didn't make crap gourmet...

Eggs are not expensive. Milk is not expensive. Cottage cheese is not particularly expensive. There are options.

TXslapshot
06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I prefer tuna, I grew up near the beach so sea food is kind of my thing. I believe ill start mixing it up a bit for my post workout meals. Ill definitely be adding carbs to my post workout meal as well.

Skalami
06-26-2009, 07:39 AM
if money is a big concern become a big shopper. the grocery stores are having big sales all the time. Like Buy one get Two for eggs thats 3 dozen for $1.99. Also its preferred to have a fast digesting protein (like whey) and a good amount of a fast digesting carbs post workout. IF youre on the cheap get some grape juice or some other high carb juice...even the "ghetto juice" a gallon of some color tinted generic kool aid will work in a pinch.

McLaughlin
06-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I eat tuna after my workout sometimes. 1-2 cans. Pretty good stuff. Also shoot for 16-32 oz milk and some fruit. Sometimes pasta or a sandwich if I'm not feeling lazy.