PDA

View Full Version : Running to downsize legs

Dan9108
06-21-2009, 05:29 AM
Ok, I am currently on a slow bulk but I am mainly interested in gaining size in my upper body. My lower body is as big as I want it, I don't want to say I'm disproportional but my legs are a bit too big for my personal liking and my upper body isn't that large at all.

Question is, I know that long distance jogging does lessen size of the legs, but will such cardio also affect my adding on muscle to my upper body? I figured I can jog six miles 3-4 times a week and just take in an extra 1k calories throughout the days I have cardio to compensate for what was lost during running. By doing this would I see a lessening size of the legs even if I compensated the running with extra calories? Also, if I'm doing this, should I keep lifting for lower body at the gym or just stick to running and upper body lifting until I achieve my results.

This may sound blasphemous to the lifting community but I would appreciate it if you could provide some honest feedback. Thanks.

Dingus
06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
If you run 6 miles 3-4 times a week you are not going to make gains in the gym. Why don't you just focus on getting your upperbody bigger?

Chubrock
06-22-2009, 07:24 AM
If you run 6 miles 3-4 times a week you are not going to make gains in the gym. Why don't you just focus on getting your upperbody bigger?

That's not particularly true. While it would be tough, it's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination.

Goodwinm
06-22-2009, 08:02 AM

Like Chub said it would not be impossible just very hard and would require a massive amount of food intake.

Dan9108
06-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't say I'm a hard gainer, I was just curious if I could actually gain upper body mass/strength while doing this. I can fit the calories in to displace the running.

Sensei
06-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Let me just say that if you're like me, the only way you're going to lose leg size is by sitting in a wheelchair. That is, if I wanted my legs to shrink significantly, I wouldn't do anything for them and let them wither away. I've never done it intentionally, but there was a time when I didn't have access to squat racks - I didn't try to find substitutes and that's exactly what happened - my legs started to disappear.

I will never let that happen again btw. Thinking long term health and strength-wise, it's a mistake. Big mistake.

Dan9108
06-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Anyone got a steak knife?

Brian999
06-22-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125950

Dan9108
06-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks for that, Brian. I'll probably stick to a mix of long distance running and hiit to lessen the size. Looks like I'm starting tomorrow :) I hope this doesn't affect my upper body gains :(

rhymenocerous
06-22-2009, 11:25 PM
I was a similar situation to you and this article really helped me.

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/general-physical-preparedness-core-strength-and-conditioning/how-to-do-cardio-if-you-must/

platypus
06-23-2009, 01:21 AM
is biking similar to jogging in terms of reducing leg size? i bike to save gas but i don't want to lose lower body mass..

LuNa
06-23-2009, 02:25 AM
is biking similar to jogging in terms of reducing leg size? i bike to save gas but i don't want to lose lower body mass..

Don't think it would. I have always biked and nothing changed. Depends on the intensity/distance though i would think.

AJ_H
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
I wish I had your "problem"

Dan9108
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I've heard that from quite a few people here. Large legs are in my genetics, and apparently, a smaller upper body is in mine as well.

platypus
06-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Don't think it would. I have always biked and nothing changed. Depends on the intensity/distance though i would think.

I'd say about 10 miles a day, about 4 major hills total. Not too worried, but yeah.