PDA

View Full Version : Bench Seminar...............

Rob Luyando
06-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Pauk Key (Bencher8) and I will be hosting a bench seminar at my private gym sometime in August we will have the date set in stone in the next day or so. We are going to limit the number of participants to 30 people.

Seminar will cover shirted benching. Including how to adjust them to get the most out of them and the dirty little tricks we both have up our sleeves, training techniques, assitance exercises, set up, setting up a training program, and a lot of hands on work with each person in attendence.

Cost of the seminar will be $65.00 per person.

My gym is located at : 28726 West Thome Rd.
Rock Falls, IL 61071

If interested shoot me an e-mail @ whco322@hotmail.com.

Date : Sunday August 2nd, 2009 starting at 10:00 AM Sharp!

vdizenzo
06-21-2009, 06:54 PM
If you are in the area and don't go you are nuts. Rob and Paul could easily charge twice as much and fill up. Best of luck with it Rob. I wish I was within driving distance.

bencher8
06-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I cant wait to do this. I really enjoy working with individuals and passing on what knowledge I have gotten through the years. I appreciate the opportunity to help Rob with this.

Everyone knows what Rob has done in this sport. I 'm stoked to work with him on this.

I think the price is well worth it as well. Equipment prices can be high, but spending 65 bucks to learn how to use the equipment might be the best investment a lifter can do...jmho

Clifford Gillmore
06-22-2009, 02:27 AM
PLEASE for the love of GOD have someone film!! I'll happily spend over $40 for a DVD, like I have with all the ST and WS, EFS etc. Ones. I know it can be pain in the ass, but just having a stand in guy with a camera and a tripod would be cool.

NickAus
06-22-2009, 03:09 AM
PLEASE for the love of GOD have someone film!! I'll happily spend over $40 for a DVD, like I have with all the ST and WS, EFS etc. Ones. I know it can be pain in the ass, but just having a stand in guy with a camera and a tripod would be cool.

I second this, I would love to buy the DVD and would purchase asap.
This would be really good for people all around the world, I hope it's possible.

NickAus
06-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Also I would be happy with just getting the disc (no fancy cover or anything).

mikesbench
06-22-2009, 05:46 AM
I will definitely plan on going once you set a date...

Travis Bell
06-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Awesome stuff guys!

chris mason
06-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Paul and Rob,

First, I think the seminar is an EXCELLENT idea as learning about shirts (all aspects) is not easy. I personally would be very interested in the information.

Second, I agree that you guys should see if you can get someone local to film and edit a DVD which you could sell. I bet you could sell quite a few of them.

Brian C
06-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Paul and Rob,

First, I think the seminar is an EXCELLENT idea as learning about shirts (all aspects) is not easy. I personally would be very interested in the information.

Second, I agree that you guys should see if you can get someone local to film and edit a DVD which you could sell. I bet you could sell quite a few of them.

Im buying a copy...

Ryano
06-22-2009, 12:09 PM
I'll be there fer sure. I'm hoping 'old dogs' can learn new tricks.

Chris Smith
06-22-2009, 12:10 PM
I can see it now--Paul will bring every kind of jump stretch band known to mankind, Rob will get pissed and tell Paul to shove the bands up his ass, and then they throw down in Rob's yard. LOL All kidding aside, this will be a great seminar.

Bergs
06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Hmm, I'd love to go to this. Any idea when in August though? Some of my weekends are already full :-/

vdizenzo
06-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't necessarily agree with dvd's. A lot of people buy them and think they don't need the hands on advice. The best part of a seminar is being able to work hands on with a lifter. Rhodes and I literally manipulate the body positions and equipment of the lifters at seminars. This is what I see done at all of the powerlifting seminars I have attended. I'm sure Rob's and Paul's will be no different.

For those of you who can't get to a seminar, get a hold of a lifter you'd like to present. You can work out a deal with the lifter and a gym to host. Just make sure the lifter can give a seminar. Just because someone knows how to lift does not mean he knows how to coach.

Rob Luyando
06-22-2009, 01:55 PM
I can see it now--Paul will bring every kind of jump stretch band known to mankind, Rob will get pissed and tell Paul to shove the bands up his ass, and then they throw down in Rob's yard. LOL All kidding aside, this will be a great seminar.

You know this thought had already came to my mind after Paul and I agreed on working together. Outside the gym he is one of my best friends but inside the gym and on the platform we love to hate each other. Seriously we have two diferent aproaches to training that will give lifters a lot more knowledge.

As for the DVD thing I will talk about it with Paul but I tend to agree with Vincent its hard to learn watching TV. As for Seminars This will be the first of many to come if Paul and I don't kill each other. And we come to you if there is enough interest.

I will have a set date later tonight.

Rob Luyando
06-23-2009, 06:12 AM
I can see I will be carrying the load on this one. Bencher8 was suposed to announce the date and time last night but his attention span isn't much longer then my son who is 4 at times. LOL! I editied the original post with the date and time.

Sunday August 2nd, 2009 @ 10:00 AM.

Please note that August 1st is my birthday so feel free to bring gifts.

Rob Luyando
06-24-2009, 05:59 AM
bump. Going to be a good chance to see me and Bencher8 go head to head in back yard cage match..............

waynedang
06-24-2009, 02:37 PM
seminars are the way to go. So much better than a dvd. If any of you can make it you should.

bencher8
06-25-2009, 03:45 PM
OK, my internet company had me down for 3 days, but I am back on now. Sorry about being off Rob, as I can see, I should have done the announcing cause you cant spell for nothing lol...and no I didnt post that on outlaws, but it was funny lol

I thought the idea for a DVD would be a good idea, but after thinking about it, like Vinnie says, you really want the hands on approach. Its just too hard to convey what you want the lifter to do watching a video. Like Rob said we are willing to travel to do more of these seminars, if there is enough interest to make it worth while.

I think Rob and mine training styles are different enough to provide a lot of different approaches to gaining strength. These different approaches will allow the seminar attendees access to a lot of knowledge, more so than in some seminars with only one way to teach or approach training from one lifter. This is what I think sets our seminars apart from some others...

Ryano
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
I think the only thing you guys agree on is hair styles. LOL. Should make for an interesting seminar.

Tim K
06-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Just because someone knows how to lift does not mean he knows how to coach.

Very true!

I don't know much about lifting, but we do lots of seminars for equestrian sports. Having the session on a DVD is a great idea, but the folks that should be getting the DVDs are the ones that attend the seminar. It allows the attendees to reinforce what they learn at the seminar by refreshing their memory with the DVD. Seminars are often sensory overload - there is so much information given in such a short time that things are forgotten. The DVD helps you remember.

$65 per person for this seminar is a freakin' steal. I will not tell you what some of our seminars cost because I don't want give you guys any ideas!

Rob Luyando
06-26-2009, 07:15 AM
"$65 per person for this seminar is a freakin' steal. I will not tell you what some of our seminars cost because I don't want give you guys any ideas!"

I know what most people charge for seminars. We aren't looking to get rich just enough to make it worth our while. After all I am bringing the thest lift off man in the game to help me run this and he lives in Tn.

Brian C
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Would love to se you guys at Ironsport in Philly. PLENTY of interest there. Im putting it on my my christmas list ;)

http://www.ironsport.com/

Guido
06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Any plans on doing another one? August 2nd doesn't work for me but I'd definitely be up for doing one sometime if you do it again (especially since I have close family in Dixon, so right close).

bencher8
06-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Rob and I have talked about doing more of these seminars and we would be up for it if there is enough interest....

Rob Luyando
06-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Any plans on doing another one? August 2nd doesn't work for me but I'd definitely be up for doing one sometime if you do it again (especially since I have close family in Dixon, so right close).

Send me a pm

Ryano
07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I compete in 6-8 comps/year and train all year long. I hear people talk about the "off season". WTF is that??? At times I get tired and think maybe I should take some time off. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to, thinking I will lose what I have and never get it back. After going up to Rob Luyando's benchfest, I have to say it has lit the fire back. Being in that atmosphere with 15 dedicated lifter's, working their asses off in the heat it's made me want to get "Bigger, Stronger...well maybe not Faster" but I would like to hit a solid 750+ bench @ 53. Anyone who wants to "get the fire back" or just improve their bench should seriously consider Rob's bench seminar on Aug 2nd.

Rob Luyando
07-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the props Pops! Fire? Are you sure you didn't take an extra geratol?

Jay1
07-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Rob, if you made a DVD i'd definitely buy it. I think this seminar is too far away for me. Love to have you come to Western NE, but interest in PL has died the last decade. If you could make it to Denver or possible to Big Iron in Omaha, i'd love to see it. I've been following the ST site and Mark Bell's log and seeing the help you're giving him. I'll look into your consultation package this winter once I'm past a couple of meets I've already got planned out. But really, a DVD would be great!

bencher8
07-08-2009, 08:13 PM
The problem with a DVD is the fact that we cant be there to explain fully what we are doing. There really is no substitute for the hands on practical application of what we are explaining.

I understand the cost of traveling to these kinds of things(I am paying for flying out to do it), but even considering the added cost of traveling, it is well worth it to gain the training knowledge and technique advantages that Rob and I can give you. This is one of the reasons why we have kept the entry price so low, so lifters like you(who might be in a powerlifting dead area) can afford to come, even considering the price of traveling.

I hope you will still consider getting out to the seminar.

Hazerboy
07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Would this be worthwhile to go to if you've never trained in a shirt before? I just checked and rock falls is only 2 hours outside of chicago.

Ryano
07-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Would this be worthwhile to go to if you've never trained in a shirt before? I just checked and rock falls is only 2 hours outside of chicago.

I'd say yes, if you have any thoughts of ever shirt benching. It will help you tremendously, since you haven't developed any "bad" habits yet. I'm sure there will be someone there with a shirt there that may fit for you to try out. What is your chest size & bw? Maybe Rob could find a loaner shirt for you to try out.

Rob Luyando
07-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Yes this seminar will be benificial to both raw and equiped lifters. Let me know how big you are and we can try to have a shirt for you to play in.

Rob Luyando
07-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Rob, if you made a DVD i'd definitely buy it. I think this seminar is too far away for me. Love to have you come to Western NE, but interest in PL has died the last decade. If you could make it to Denver or possible to Big Iron in Omaha, i'd love to see it. I've been following the ST site and Mark Bell's log and seeing the help you're giving him. I'll look into your consultation package this winter once I'm past a couple of meets I've already got planned out. But really, a DVD would be great!

Nebraska isn't that far of a drive there are a few hotels with reasonable rates. Talk a buddy into going with you and you can cut travel costs.

theBarzeen
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
tough luck with that date man.... lots of the Illinois lifters will be at the AWPC worlds that weekend.....

next time I would love to come out though.....

Rob Luyando
07-09-2009, 06:42 PM
We will still have a good turnout at seminar. This date worked for Paul and I so thats why we picked it.

theBarzeen
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I mean tough luck for me....... I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting good attendance.....

Rob Luyando
07-11-2009, 07:29 AM
I mean tough luck for me....... I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting good attendance.....

I will possibly be hosting another seminar at Jacked Hardcore gym later this summer.

Rob Luyando
07-13-2009, 07:41 AM
MMy sponsor MHP will be throwing some goods my way to give out at the seminar.

vdizenzo
07-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm sure you are almost booked full by now. The stragglers better get moving or I bet they'll be left out.

theBarzeen
07-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I will possibly be hosting another seminar at Jacked Hardcore gym later this summer.

I heard something about that from Byron and Rudy last Sat.... glad to hear it right from the source

bencher8
07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
APT has graciously decided to send product out for the seminar as well. I should be receiving the package soon....it will be a good time!

I beleive he is sending us some t-shirts and wrist straps....

JasonLift
07-15-2009, 07:10 PM
My rotational on call is that weekend otherwise I'd make a road trip. Hopefully there will be another one soon.

Rob Luyando
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
My rotational on call is that weekend otherwise I'd make a road trip. Hopefully there will be another one soon.

Will be holding one later in the summer at Jacked Hardcore Gym. I will anounce a date once its set.

Still a few spots open guys.

TankofZenzenBB
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I would come, but it seems like everyone on my team except me is doing the AWPC worlds. I got to go and help out my training partners.

When are you having the next freak day?

Rob Luyando
07-21-2009, 06:11 AM
Thats cool Tank. Actually a bunch of us will be training on Saturday prior to the Seminar. Have about 10 guys for Saturdays training session. Going to be fun kicking Paul Key's ass all over the gym. He has been crazy busy this summer with kids and schooling he hasn't been getting his time in a shirt.

bencher8
07-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Kick my ass all over the gym? I have been just sandbagging to let you think you were closer to me than you are...I will bring my XL can of whoop ass for yalol

You got that AC installed yet? I cant be getting to sweaty when I train...

TankofZenzenBB
07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Thats cool Tank. Actually a bunch of us will be training on Saturday prior to the Seminar. Have about 10 guys for Saturdays training session. Going to be fun kicking Paul Key's ass all over the gym. He has been crazy busy this summer with kids and schooling he hasn't been getting his time in a shirt.

Damn, wish I could be there. I had one hell of a time when I was at your gym last, I got a big p.r. I sweated so much it was easier for me to touch and I didn't bring a lot of water (bad idea). Dick wanted me to do AWPC worlds, but I think I need to take the time off and work on my technique. On top of that, I got nagging shoulder pain in my right shoulder, I think it might be my ac-joint. I've been pretty dam lazy lately getting my ass to the gym for my auxiliary days and squats. I get home from work and I don't feel like doing a damn thing, but sit my ass on the couch and ice my shoulder.

Rob Luyando
07-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Tank your not going to get strong missing all your assitance work. Assitance work is just as important at your bench training. How many guys are lifting Sunday? If you help out Fri & Sat they shouldn't miss you Sunday come to the seminar and learn.

TankofZenzenBB
07-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Tank your not going to get strong missing all your assitance work. Assitance work is just as important at your bench training. How many guys are lifting Sunday? If you help out Fri & Sat they shouldn't miss you Sunday come to the seminar and learn.

I know. Since my shoulder been acting up I do moderate weight on my assistance days when I lift. I don't want to aggravate it. I've been doing tons of rehab work for it, which seems to be working. I even started taking an extra 2 days off before my heavy bench workout. I should take it an easy for a while. I'm working Friday. Dick is lifting Sunday and 4 lifters are lifting Saturday.

Guido
07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I changed my plans and am now going to be there. Can't wait. Hopefully I can fit myself into my new F-6. If not, I'll have to try somebody elses shirt, perhaps.

Ryano
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
I changed my plans and am now going to be there. Can't wait. Hopefully I can fit myself into my new F-6. If not, I'll have to try somebody elses shirt, perhaps.

Ryan, I don't know if you've gained any weight since I last saw you, but I have a 48 F6 you could try. It's the smallest shirt I have.

Ryano
08-03-2009, 11:50 AM
GREAT time and learned a BUNCH. I know that Rob and Paul are planning another seminar sometime soon and I highly recommend it. These two guys are open back shirt guru's! Having very little experience in an open back shirt, I hit a PR with a brand new shirt-right out of the bag(even though it was a tad bit to big). I really wasn't expecting to get anything to touch in this shirt and I almost touched 495 on my first set. I normally go straight to 600+ with my first shirted set. Thanks to both Rob and Paul. You can't really put a price on knowledge, but for $65 it was a bargain.

Bergs
08-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Yup, thank you Rob and Paul (plus the other pure beasts that attended). Lots of good pointers for the shirt and some good tips about training in general. That and the stories made it worth it, for sure. Oh, and a bench PR never hurt anyone either :)

I plan on incorporating a lot of your advice into my training and bench setup and hopefully see my bench go up even more. If anyone is considering going to the next seminar they plan, I highly recommend it.

Guido
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I definitely learned a ton at the seminar. Well worth it IMO. Now I need to get a shirt that fits me right so I can incorporate much of what I learned, but at least I've got some great assistance movements I can work on in the meantime.