PDA

View Full Version : Week before a full meet...

blownby
06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
What do most of you do......
some basic/light training,
rest the entire week,
a little cardio to make weight, :eek:,
clean diet up or smash food, etc....

Brian Hopper
06-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Drink plenty of fluids and REST!!!!!!

Detard
06-22-2009, 09:55 AM
I eat a **** load, start pounding gatorade 2 days before the meet. I actually did some squatting 4 days out, which probably wasn't the best idea. I just take it easy, keep my food intake high, get lots of sleep, and maybe do some stretching

Iron Disciple
06-22-2009, 10:03 AM
What do most of you do......
some basic/light training,
rest the entire week,
a little cardio to make weight, :eek:,
clean diet up or smash food, etc....

Good question ! I was kind of wondering myself seeing as how I'm just a month away from my first show.

blownby
06-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I eat a **** load, start pounding gatorade 2 days before the meet. I actually did some squatting 4 days out, which probably wasn't the best idea. I just take it easy, keep my food intake high, get lots of sleep, and maybe do some stretching

do u lift at 198? ur sig says 202#....so u really just have a few pounds of water to cut before weighin then?

BigTallOx
06-22-2009, 10:10 AM
I rest, except for some stretching mostly so my hips don't tighten up, and I eat everything I can get my hands on ( but I pretty much do that all the time ).

Detard
06-22-2009, 10:19 AM
do u lift at 198? ur sig says 202#....so u really just have a few pounds of water to cut before weighin then?

Yeah my last meet was at 198. I'm making my way up to the 220's now though.

MarcusWild
06-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Most meets have been moved to Sundays around here. I'll do a light, raw squat workout on Tuesday. I'll do some like KB bench and stuff on Thursday. I do recovery, mobility, and stretching stuff all week of my joints tighten up too much. I think a lot of how much you rest the week before depends on your overall strength level, your body size, and your GPP. As I've focused more on my GPP, I need less rest before meets. I also recover much faster after the meet.

blownby
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
GPP?

Pete22
06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Most people like to rest the entire week. I like to treat it as a deload with light raw squatting on Monday, light benching on Tuesday, some back stuff on Wednesday, and then just rest up until the meet.

MarcusWild
06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
GPP = general physical preparedness. Louie talks about it a lot in his articles. It affects everything from your working capacity during training, to recovery, to meet performance.

robchris
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Most people like to rest the entire week. I like to treat it as a deload with light raw squatting on Monday, light benching on Tuesday, some back stuff on Wednesday, and then just rest up until the meet.

Great advice! I do the same, less the back stuff on wed.

I may go up to my opener on the bench/squat and stop there... DL needs more recovery time.

Are you RAW or Geared? Reason being, I have to check my groove w/ equipment. (a big mental thing):evillaugh:

Good luck bro!