PDA

View Full Version : Standing Broad Jumps

Tom Mutaffis
06-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I am thinking about incorporting these as a type of "plyometric" movement.

What would be a good standing broad jump distance for a max single? Also, what would be a good distance for reps?

Right now my jumping is pretty good, I have leaped onto a 54" box with a running start and have done standing jumps to around 45" for sets of multiple reps - but am unsure of the relationship between jumping for height and jumping for distance.

My goal is to do some circuit training with sandbag carries, sled drag, and box / broad jumps for conditioning and also to build some athleticism.

Travis Bell
06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
It really all varies from athlete to athlete.

Depending on training, there is a good correlation between broad jumps and box jumps. If the hip strength is there, you'll be pleasently surprised.

Get some video!

Tom Mutaffis
06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
I think that I want to shoot for 10 feet, since that is a full parking space... but am not sure if that would be considered a good number or not.

Will get some video either way :)

slashkills
06-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Im pretty sure the current world record is like 12' so 10' wouldnt be to shabby.

Auburn
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Do it like the big dog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcghNGR3fG0&feature=channel_page

Travis Bell
06-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I think that I want to shoot for 10 feet, since that is a full parking space... but am not sure if that would be considered a good number or not.

Will get some video either way :)

10ft in one jump? Wow, that would be quite impressive Tom.

I'm sure you could do it, I just was thinking like 5 or 6' lol so I was surprised when I read 10'

I'd enjoy the video regardless.

Tom Mutaffis
06-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Im pretty sure the current world record is like 12' so 10' wouldnt be to shabby.

Looks like my goal setting is pretty aggressive then, especially considering I'm not exactly a tall guy.

Pretty sure that I have done 8' before.

If I am feeling good before the gym tonight I'll give it a shot and see what I can do. Will take video as well of course.

Guido
06-23-2009, 09:45 AM
I used to be able to do almost 10' back in high school and that was before I had ever done any kind of lifting. I was always a good broad jumper, though. I should think that with practice you could exceed that. Yes, the world record is just over 12'.

ZenMonkey
06-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Ive used a couple of things that worked well for me:

Of course, practicing Long Jumping
Box squat, lift feet off ground to deload hip flexors, then jump to a box "X" feet away.
Pike Jumps
Distance depth jumps onto a box
Stadium Hops
Single Leg Bounding
Triple Jumps
Various other bounding
Barrier Hops

All from Donald Chu

Travis Bell
06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
I used to be able to do almost 10' back in high school and that was before I had ever done any kind of lifting. I was always a good broad jumper, though. I should think that with practice you could exceed that. Yes, the world record is just over 12'.

Wow! that's quite a big jump.

Had the football team do broad jumps today and a couple of them were in the 7' range, but it certainly is a weakness of ours so I'll be definitely including them in the future.

Notorious
06-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I saw an interesting video a while ago on Oly lifting that compared broad jumps to cleans and snatches. Most people bend their knees and try to use their quads to do broad jumps, but pretty much everyone can actually jump farther by just barely bending their knees and jumping (so they can use their hips better). Just throwing that out there. If anyone is interested, watch this starting at 36 mins: http://thefitcast.com/test

Tom Mutaffis
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Here is a page that I just came across with a chart:

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/longjump.htm

Travis - it looks like most of your athletes are in the average to above average range if they were somewhere over 7'. My goal for a 10' jump appears to be pretty lofty. Will test it tonight.

slashkills
06-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Wow! that's quite a big jump.

Had the football team do broad jumps today and a couple of them were in the 7' range, but it certainly is a weakness of ours so I'll be definitely including them in the future.

Not to hijack your thread tom, but travis how exactly do broad jumps carry over to football. Learning to get your hips muscles to fire at the right moments?

Travis Bell
06-23-2009, 08:39 PM
They don't have as huge a carry over as the weighted box jumps or seated box jumps will, but if you look at the foot position when doing repeated broad jumps (as someone posted a video of Misha doing) it's very similar to a 3 point stance.

That said, sometimes you have to do an exercise that doesn't directly correlate, but will teach the athlete how to be more explosive overall.

Broad jumps will help the athlete be more explosive overall, but since it's translation isn't quite as strong we don't do it as frequently as other jumps.

teeroy
06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I saw a video a while back of a dedicated, freakishly strong strongman jumping onto a 54" platform. I bet if you had the dedication and impressive strength of this strongman you could hit 10'. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-r0eLYDH8w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-r0eLYDH8w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

slashkills
06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
No, that guy is way better than tom.

Tom Mutaffis
06-24-2009, 07:10 AM
So last night before leaving the office I got a little anxious and decided to try it out here.

I ended up getting around a 9' jump on my first attempt. Second attempt was about the same but I split my pants!

Took video and will try to find a tape measure to get an acurate number before posting it. Used a couple of desks here as a reference point.

Guido
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Nice job. Not bad at all for a guy your size. A lot of it really come down to technique. I always had good technique which is why I was always a good long jumper. The key is to sort of "fall forward" right before you jump, don't bend the knees too much, have weight forward and on the balls of your feet, bring back the arms quick and then explode at the hips and brings arms forward as quickly as possible at the same time as your momentum brings you forward. As you approach to land your body angle should be a bit backwards but your momentum once your feet hit will keep you from falling backwards if you do it right.

Travis Bell
06-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Second attempt was about the same but I split my pants!

haha I lol'd. That's great

Tom Mutaffis
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Here is the video...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=123945460408

Maybe I will try some more jumping / plyometric stuff this weekend.

slashkills
06-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Impressive!

Travis Bell
06-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Very cool stuff Tom!

What do you do for a job?

Tom Mutaffis
06-25-2009, 06:27 AM
I really think that if I did this while training I could get a little bit farther. Stretching and plyometrics are something that I am going to include in my routine for a little while.

Travis - I work for an engineering staffing firm. Generally I wear dress shirts but just happened to have on a polo that day. My previous company used to require ties, and once I started bulking I would have to tie bit fat knots on the ties to cover the fact that I could not close the top buttons (18" neck at one point).

fpr
06-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Do it like the big dog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcghNGR3fG0&feature=channel_page

After watching this I tried these for the first time today. It was an epic fail. Not sure if it was because I had just done deads, but I think I only jumped about 4ft and could not get the momentum going, so they were pretty inconsistent. My knees hurt like hell afterwards too.

Tom Mutaffis
06-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I tried them again after a long day of training the other day and hit 9.5' in gym attire.

Will look to hit the 10' mark this week once my soreness subsides, and will post video if successful.

schmitty199
06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Here is a page that I just came across with a chart:

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/longjump.htm

Travis - it looks like most of your athletes are in the average to above average range if they were somewhere over 7'. My goal for a 10' jump appears to be pretty lofty. Will test it tonight.

Back in high school football I once jumped a 119, but consistently more in the 113-117 range, so no doubt it's possible and with your squat numbers id imagine you'll be good for over 100 your first time.

evilxxx
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Gave this a try since its new to me, 7'9 , 8' 3 and 8' 5 (best 3 out of 5)

BigRic
07-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I jumped a 10'3 coming out of high school.

slashkills
07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I tried this the other day, my bests were 7'5, 7'6 , 7'4 i tried it about 8 times and i averaged 7'4

FFHill
07-07-2009, 09:27 AM
You guys talking about broadjumps prompted me to try. I landed right on 8' my 2nd jump, but as I was barefoot, my toes dug in and I rolled over them. A week and half later my foot is still black and blue. haha. Guess I'm not coordinated enough...:(

Tom Mutaffis
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
You guys talking about broadjumps prompted me to try. I landed right on 8' my 2nd jump, but as I was barefoot, my toes dug in and I rolled over them. A week and half later my foot is still black and blue. haha. Guess I'm not coordinated enough...:(

Ouch... What kind of surface were you on?

I am going to try them again at the gym the next time that I go.

FFHill
07-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Ouch... What kind of surface were you on?

I am going to try them again at the gym the next time that I go.

Grass. It was evening so it was a little slick. Stupid on my part.

Next time I'll definately have shoes on.

Tom Mutaffis
07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Grass. It was evening so it was a little slick. Stupid on my part.

Next time I'll definately have shoes on.

I don't think that grass is a good idea in general, especially if it is slippery.

8' is a pretty good mark though - maybe you can shoot for 8 1/2 next time once your foot is healed.

redroses
07-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the comment bigbird. I couldn’t agree more. A little helpful information never hurt anybody!:hello:

Travis Bell
07-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the comment bigbird. I couldn’t agree more. A little helpful information never hurt anybody!:hello:

??? I think you posted in the wrong thread man

Goodwinm
07-13-2009, 12:43 AM

I think this is where you were meant to be posting ;-)

http://www.sesamestreet.org/muppet?p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_id=MuppetsLandingPage_WAR_sesameportlets4369&p_p_action=muppetView&p_p_muppetName=Big%20Bird&t=1247195565981&

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/f/f6/Big-bird.jpg

Ryan Hale
07-18-2009, 09:51 AM
We tested about 40 kids at the start of summer this year.We will test again in early August,before football starts again.
We tested 5 things,one was the standing broad jump.
On average the kids would jump 3 times,until they started to get less on thier jumps.
Off the top of my head,the longest jump we had we 108"'s,or 9', this kid made it to state this spring in the long jump.We maybe had 5 kids get 100+ "'s.
So Tom,if you can hit the 10' mark,that would be awesome.
Cool thread,some of you guys are animals.

Ryan Hale

Travis Bell
07-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow 9' is very impressive for highschool.

I have 3 kids over 7.5', the rest are in the 5-6' range, depending on height and weight. Obviously my lineman aren't the best at it LOL.

I'm just terrible at these. I can jump on a 48" box but my best broad jump is a bit more than 7.5'.

I'm working out something with a highschool in another county that is a D1 state championship competitor almost every year. They should probably be able to put out some impressive jump numbers.

Ryan Hale
07-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Travis,

How many kids have you tested? I'll look at our numbers on Monday morning,and see what exactly we had.
Do you do vertical testing also?

Although a few have posted different above,we have much better luck with our kids exploding out of a squat type postion when they jump.

Ryan Hale

Travis Bell
07-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Travis,

How many kids have you tested? I'll look at our numbers on Monday morning,and see what exactly we had.
Do you do vertical testing also?

Although a few have posted different above,we have much better luck with our kids exploding out of a squat type postion when they jump.

Ryan Hale

I think for this particular team I have about 30 this summer.

We don't focus on broad jumps quite as much so I suppose that could be why. We do a lot of box jump variations, most of them with weight.

Guido
10-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I tried this at the gym yesterday just to see what I could do again. Turns out I was good for between 8'5" and 8'9" (that's 101-105"). That was doing 3 jumps. Of course that was also after having done deadlifts and overhead squats the day before so the numbers might be a bit better on fresh legs. Maybe on a good day I'd have 9' in me.

I seem to recall having done over 9' in high school, though I could be mistaken. It was a long time ago. ;)

Guido
10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
BTW, have you still been doing these, Tom? You mentioned you were shooting for a goal of 10 feet eventually.

Tom Mutaffis
10-06-2009, 08:53 AM
BTW, have you still been doing these, Tom? You mentioned you were shooting for a goal of 10 feet eventually.

I have not done them recently as I had a couple of contests and have just ramped up my gym work again 2-3 weeks ago.

Will have to get out the measuring tape and get an accurate measure of exactly where I stand right now. Ideally I would like to dedicate an accessory day to jumping, grip work, and then some general power accessory movements like speed box squats, etc.

Once I have a chance to measure them I will post back. I'll make sure to take video as well.

Guido
10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Nice. I'll bet you'll be good for at least 9 feet with your strength-bodyweight ratio.

Tom Mutaffis
10-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Nice. I'll bet you'll be good for at least 9 feet with your strength-bodyweight ratio.

What are your thoughts on height being a factor in the long jump?

It would appear that a taller individual would be able to get more hang time and leap farther than a shorter individual, but in many cases I have seen the opposite to be true (perhaps due to lack of explosiveness in some of the taller athletes).

AJL11
10-07-2009, 06:32 AM
What are your thoughts on height being a factor in the long jump?

It would appear that a taller individual would be able to get more hang time and leap farther than a shorter individual, but in many cases I have seen the opposite to be true (perhaps due to lack of explosiveness in some of the taller athletes).

Thats like saying height has an effect on your Vertical Jump......This test along with the VJ is tested for explosive power, height will have nothing to do with how far you can jump....That is the main reason they are both tested at the NFL combine, to get gauge a player's explosiveness....

My best jump was 9'11 during spring testing in college.....When practicing/training for the SLJ I feel that it is very important to get some height on your jump. In other words, do not just try to jump out..jump up and out. Concentrate on keeping your feet up as high as you can, for as long as you can.....

Guido
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Thats like saying height has an effect on your Vertical Jump......This test along with the VJ is tested for explosive power, height will have nothing to do with how far you can jump....That is the main reason they are both tested at the NFL combine, to get gauge a player's explosiveness....

My best jump was 9'11 during spring testing in college.....When practicing/training for the SLJ I feel that it is very important to get some height on your jump. In other words, do not just try to jump out..jump up and out. Concentrate on keeping your feet up as high as you can, for as long as you can.....True, height shuld not have n effect on vertical OR long jump. It does have an effect on box jumps and high jumping however, based on the fact that taller individuals have higher hips and thus have less distance to travel to the same height to get their bodies on top of a box or over a bar. This is why all olympic high jumpers are generally very tall.

BTW, 9'11" for a standing long jump is extremely impressive. That would put you in some elite company.

AJL11
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
BTW, 9'11" for a standing long jump is extremely impressive. That would put you in some elite company.

Maybe for a QB or an O-Lineman...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-broad-jump

Tom Mutaffis
10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Maybe for a QB or an O-Lineman...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-broad-jump

I would say that if you can hang with the top 20 guys at the NFL combine that is pretty 'elite'.

To your above statement about height being a factor, what about the height of your hips and length of your levers (upper leg, etc.) - this would allow a taller individual to get more hangtime if they had the same amount of explosiveness. I am just thinking in terms of biomechanics... have seen some taller guys who are not very explosive with alright jumping abilities and some very expolsive shorter guys whose numbers are not very good in the broad jump. The vertical does seem indiscriminatory though.