PDA

View Full Version : They tricked me

BFGUITAR
06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
The meet is 3 weeks out and I just had my last heavy deadlift session (I think lol).

The big guy Mike said im going to warm up like on comp day. The thing is... all the competition weights were in kilos so I really don't know how much weight is on the bar without actually counting lol. I did my warmups and he said "Go for a walk, rest before your next lift". So I come back do my 400lb deadlift easy. He says "Go for another walk". So I go for another walk come back and deadlift heavier, 435. A little hitch but nothing bad. He says again "Ok your doing that again go for a walk". I come back... deadlift it and was JUST shy of a lockout. One of the strongmen who happened to be working out there said he was surprised I didn't lock it out, it was well above the knees. They decided to put 445 on the bar when I was gone which would have been a 20lb PR from... 3 weeks before. I was very close... I think the fact that I farted during the lift almost scared the **** out of me, literally.

I still cannot get over working out with these guys. I am now benching my one rep max for 3-4 reps only after 2 months. I can safely say im hooked.

Detard
06-22-2009, 05:45 PM
Cool. I dont really understand the point of this post though? Who tricked who?

vdizenzo
06-22-2009, 05:54 PM
That's awesome! Never trust a fart.

Lones Green
06-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Never trust a fart.

I think thats the moral of this story.

Travis Bell
06-22-2009, 06:06 PM

LOL that is sig worthy right there hahaha. Good one Vin

BF sounds like you've finally understood the value of being in a place surrounded by lifters and how that makes a better boost in your lift than any book can make :) Gyms where you are consistently challenged by your peers is the best kinda place to be.

MarcusWild
06-22-2009, 06:27 PM
It's great that you're making such good progress. Training with a great group can make a huge difference.

I definitely had a training partner take a dump in the middle of a deadlift. He got the oddest look on his face, then said, "I'll be right back." He went to the bathroom and came back and said, "Yup, I'm done for the day."

Sometimes it helps to not know what's on the bar. I trained with a guy that had complete mental block on deadlifting 495 in training. He had his suit on and was going to max. I took 495, and then said, "Your turn." He didn't really look at the bar or realize what was on it. After he made the lift, I told him to look at the bar.

Detard
06-22-2009, 07:05 PM
It's great that you're making such good progress. Training with a great group can make a huge difference.

I definitely had a training partner take a dump in the middle of a deadlift. He got the oddest look on his face, then said, "I'll be right back." He went to the bathroom and came back and said, "Yup, I'm done for the day."

Sometimes it helps to not know what's on the bar. I trained with a guy that had complete mental block on deadlifting 495 in training. He had his suit on and was going to max. I took 495, and then said, "Your turn." He didn't really look at the bar or realize what was on it. After he made the lift, I told him to look at the bar.

Agreed, not knowing what is on the bar, can be a good thing. I pulled almost a 100lb PR attempt on a misload. The weight was supposed to be something i've hit 15 times in training, but there was a misload, and they put 50kg more on the bar. I had no clue, and pulled it as hard as I ****ing could, got it to my knees, but couldnt lock it out.

Jonah
06-22-2009, 08:04 PM

That's so wrong

Ron C
06-23-2009, 08:31 AM

I'm glad I hadn't taken a drink of my shake before I read that, or I'd be wiping the protein and oatmeal off my keyboard right now.

isaku900
06-23-2009, 08:40 AM

i believe my exact words were, "I think I just s**t myself"

bad shrimp+heavy triples = problems.

BFGUITAR
06-23-2009, 09:32 AM
i believe my exact words were, "I think I just s**t myself"

bad shrimp+heavy triples = problems.

Hahaha try 3 shawarma + deficit deadlifts :P

Detard the guy I worked out with told me it was the same weight but was really heavier. A 100lb PR would have been ridiculous haha.

MarcusWild
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, I was trying to preserve the person's anonymity, but now everyone knows who it is. haha!

isaku900
06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, I was trying to preserve the person's anonymity, but now everyone knows who it is. haha!

its ok man, I left my dignity somewhere in college.