PDA

View Full Version : Dietary Fat

Trainwreck
06-22-2009, 07:40 PM
So I got a membership at a gym in town and as part of it they gave me an initial consultation with a personal trainer.
When we got to the nutrition section of the consultation, he recommended I stick to a high fat-low carb diet (much like the anabolic diet (http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-101-the-definite-anabolic-diet-guide/) except there were no refeeds).
I'd like your thoughts on this, I'm not sure whether to stick to a regular clean bulk diet with normal amounts of carbs or to do this High fat-Low carb - no refeed diet.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-22-2009, 11:53 PM
Stick to your regular bulk. In fact, just get your necessary macros in and alter your intake depending on what you feel most comfortable with. I'd gnaw off my leg on a low-carb diet. I can deal with carb-cycling as there are re-feeds, but I feel way more energetic when I get my carbs. It's a personal preference really... up to you.

Aside from the diet consultation, what did they tell you about training?

Trainwreck
06-23-2009, 06:12 AM
He actually encouraged compound lifts and suggested I do a split around Squat/Deads/Bench. What seemed odd was that he suggested I lower the volume on BGB. He seemed pretty well informed otherwise though.
As far as the diet, he pretty much had everything right aside from that odd suggestion of a low carb diet for a bulk.

Optimum08
06-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Wow, sounds like one of the few personal trainers I've interacted with that had some semblance of an idea on how to go about workouts.

PowerBuilder
06-23-2009, 07:29 AM
So I got a membership at a gym in town and as part of it they gave me an initial consultation with a personal trainer.
When we got to the nutrition section of the consultation, he recommended I stick to a high fat-low carb diet.
I'd like your thoughts on this, I'm not sure whether to stick to a regular clean bulk diet with normal amounts of carbs or to do this High fat-Low carb - no refeed diet.

It will take some time to get used to it but once the ketones start flowing you'll be just fine.

When i'm cutting i only cut carbs and it takes a couple of weeks to get used to it but after that i'm just fine.

For regular bulk diet the most important thing is protein, high fat or high carb doesn't really matter in that case as long as you get enough cals to stay in a positive zone and enough protein.

cut the link out of your post since i can't post links yet.

Trainwreck
06-23-2009, 08:28 AM
What I thought didn't click was low carb bulk with a 4 day split. I would assume working out glycogen depleted for 4 days a week with no reefed would be somewhat tough.
He told me I had to start eating at maintenance (which for me is ~3600 cals) and that a big part of that would have to be protein and fat. So based on that, how many carbs would I be required to eat in order for it to be low carb? below 75g (300 cals)? That would mean I'd require about 220g of protein and 220g of fat per day...is this accurate or is there some element to low carb diets that I'm missing.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I would still advise against a low-carb "bulking" diet. You're going to be utterly spent in the gym. At least I would be.

KingWilder
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I would still advise against a low-carb "bulking" diet. You're going to be utterly spent in the gym. At least I would be.

maybe that's why the trainer recommended lowering the volume on BGB...to account for less carbohydrates?

Anyway, so long as I get my calories in, I haven't ever noticed a difference on a bulk one way or another depending on my carb level. I actually in general feel a lot better on less carbohydrates.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
maybe that's why the trainer recommended lowering the volume on BGB...to account for less carbohydrates?

Anyway, so long as I get my calories in, I haven't ever noticed a difference on a bulk one way or another depending on my carb level. I actually in general feel a lot better on less carbohydrates.
I guess it's just me then. Low-carb is the devil to me. =P I guess the OP can just simply... try it and see if it works for him.

Holto
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Doing low carbs at any time other than cutting makes ZERO sense.

PowerBuilder
06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Doing low carbs at any time other than cutting makes ZERO sense.

Not really, insulin sensitivity is one of the most important keys to building muscle, the less serum insulin the higher your insulin sensitivity will be.

However, if you're smart about your carbs and don't start bulking up on white bread, white rice or any highly refined starch as well as always combining it with some good fat and protein (you know, meat, sauce and potatoes for a whole meal) it's not a problem and far more anabolic since the insulin won't spike but stay moderatly elevated for a longer period of time (hours), this is also nice when dieting since you won't become hypoglycemic and feel like you're starving all the time.

Personally i always keep my carbs pretty low (around 20%) and simply cut them down to 5-10% when cutting without changing anything else.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 10:27 PM
How does not having an ample supply of glycogen stores in the muscle and liver during a muscle-building bulk phase of training make sense to you?

PowerBuilder
06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
How does not having an ample supply of glycogen stores in the muscle and liver during a muscle-building bulk phase of training make sense to you?

You won't tap into your glycogen stores much at all when doing low-rep anaerobic short workouts, 20% is more than enough to keep them filled enough and if you go below that glycogenic amino acids will take care of it since glycogenic aa's --> blood glucose --> stored glycogen.

I'd say creatine is more important than glycogen regardless if you are bulking or cutting since it's what will be used to replenish ATP during low rep short workouts (by short i mean 30-45 minutes).

Since i can link now, http://www.springerlink.com/content/l45222t762xp74g5/

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Have you ever bulked before? Or do you just browse the internet all day to get shredded abs on your fingers?

PowerBuilder
06-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Have you ever bulked before? Or do you just browse the internet all day to get shredded abs on your fingers?

If you're going to go with personal attacks then at least make them funny.

The teenage angst is strong in this one.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Thank you. *tips hat*

rainersullivan
06-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Hi!

I had the same question like yours before, until I came across Dr. Rose Windale She helped me a lot!
Try her, maybe you'll like her advice the way I did!

Trainwreck
06-25-2009, 06:46 AM
I decided to go with a regular carb bulk [40p/30c/30f] at the moment. I'll be tracking my progress for the next month and depending on how that goes, I'll give the low carb diet a try. Responses are much appreciated.