PDA

View Full Version : JM Press - Quick Question

Kenny Powers
06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Ive seen sooo many vids of these, and alot of them look pretty different.

Does anyone have a link to a good video of them?

Thanks

Pete22
06-22-2009, 09:34 PM
LotVW7zC-Pw

teeroy
06-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Travis, this looks a bit different than another video I've seen of the JM press by, I think, the man that they are named after. If I'm correct and your's are a bit different I think I may like your's better. I've struggled on my JM presses mainly because I'm weak, but also because I have found it difficult to go from lockout down to the correct position to come back up. My elbows want to flare on the way down and I find if I don't do it just right it bothers my shoulders.

If I'm watching your's correctly it looks like you come down in a regular bench position and then move it into "JM position." If so, do you find that it is easier to get into the correct position and that it bothers your shoulders less?

Travis Bell
06-23-2009, 04:01 AM
I've never found that it really bothers my shoulders much regardless, because I keep my triceps nice and tucked.

I just do it that way because that's how Lou taught me how to do them. He feels its easier to get into better position that way. I bring the bar down high on my chest and then roll it back towards my throat and then press it straight up from there.

MarcusWild
06-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I've never found that it really bothers my shoulders much regardless, because I keep my triceps nice and tucked.

I just do it that way because that's how Lou taught me how to do them. He feels its easier to get into better position that way. I bring the bar down high on my chest and then roll it back towards my throat and then press it straight up from there.

Travis,

If you could get a video of you doing a JM press, that'd be awesome. They've always been a very awkward movement for me, so I don't do them.

vdizenzo
06-23-2009, 11:56 AM
I do them differently than Trav. I start over my sternum like Trav, then I cock my wrists, start bringing the bar down, then as it gets lower I bring it to my face. Then I press it out like an extension. I have done them a variety of ways. I think they all work. Just be consistent.

Travis Bell
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I do them differently than Trav. I start over my sternum like Trav, then I cock my wrists, start bringing the bar down, then as it gets lower I bring it to my face. Then I press it out like an extension. I have done them a variety of ways. I think they all work. Just be consistent.

I agree with Vincent, the key is to get your elbows into a position so that the triceps are being worked.

I sometimes do them elbows flared, off carpet, off pins whatever needs to be done to get that lockout.

Travis,

If you could get a video of you doing a JM press, that'd be awesome. They've always been a very awkward movement for me, so I don't do them.

That's me in the video posted, it's just not a very good angle lol. I'll try and put something together this weekend

MarcusWild
06-23-2009, 12:33 PM
haha, I guess I should have watched the video. I didn't realize someone else posted a video of you doing them. I think I need to grip the bar a little wider based on that video.

Captain_Crunch
06-24-2009, 09:37 AM
NxfzWbEKd6s