PDA

View Full Version : Adding Egg Beaters to a shake? Yay or Nay?

Clone
06-23-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm having a debate with a couple guys whether or not its ok to add Egg Beaters to a protein shake.

One says its fine because its pasturized.

And two of us are kinda sketchy about it.

The last thing I want is to get sick.

I personally don't trust it, but would love to add it if its ok.

What says you?

rainersullivan
06-23-2009, 01:16 AM
If you really want to be sure not to get sick, try adding egg white only.

The logic in this is, your body may get allergic, in eating raw foods.

BTW are you doing this because you're having gym classes?

Optimum08
06-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Why would you want to add egg beaters to a shake in the first place?

Clone
06-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Um..... no gym classes. But I could try to sneak back into high school.

I just wanted to mix things up a little and add some extra protein and calories. (yeah I know its not much)

It wasn't originally my idea. But I liked the sound of it.

Unreal
06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
They should be fine to eat raw since they are pasteurized but there are cheaper sources of protein. I wouldn't waste expensive egg beaters by adding to a shake.

Optimum08
06-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Just add more protein powder if you're looking to add more protein to a shake.

Optimum08
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
FYI, for whole eggs eating/drinking them raw is not an efficient way to ingest them since the proteins/nutrients in the eggs only become efficiently bio-available after de-nature (i.e. after cooking them). I don't know if this applies to egg beaters (since they are pasteurized)

YoungNoble
06-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Egg whites are probably you're best bet. Egg protein is of very high quality and adding it to shakes is not a bad idea whatsoever. Drop the egg beaters and eat your eggs whole (yolk and all). Plenty of good nutrition in em.

I've also been considering those little cartons of egg white beaters as a quick protein fix. They don't taste bad alone but it wouldn't hurt to throw some good flavored protein powdered into the mix.

Optimum08
06-23-2009, 02:06 PM
The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 0.8 and 51.3 9.8%, respectively.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

I never said adding a raw egg product to a shake was detrimental, but would not be nearly as efficient as cooking the egg and eating it seperately with regards to protein bioavailability.

Like i said before, just add another scoop of protein to your shake if you want to up the protein.

Unreal
06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Egg whites are probably you're best bet. Egg protein is of very high quality and adding it to shakes is not a bad idea whatsoever. Drop the egg beaters and eat your eggs whole (yolk and all). Plenty of good nutrition in em.

I've also been considering those little cartons of egg white beaters as a quick protein fix. They don't taste bad alone but it wouldn't hurt to throw some good flavored protein powdered into the mix.

Egg beaters are just egg whites that are flavored and colored.

YoungNoble
06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Egg beaters are just egg whites that are flavored and colored.
If I remember correctly, the consistency is also a bit different. I recall the consistency of egg beaters being a bit thicker than the whites. It also might give the shake a bit of an odd color if you mix it egg beaters. To each his own I suppose but I think most would prefer the egg whites.

You can also buy some pretty big amounts of egg whites on-line for those who are interested in purchasing egg whites.

Clone
06-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys.

I eat plenty of hard boiled eggs every week.

Just thought it might not be a bad idea to add to a shake. Didn't really consider the cost, as I haven't bought Egg Beaters in years.

rainersullivan
06-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Oh I thought you were doing this because you're having gym classes. because this is one of the many diets and advice my gym instructor gave me, if I wanted to make my body bigger!

Skalami
06-26-2009, 07:41 AM
would mixing hard/soft boiled eggs in a shake be digusting? nix the yolk obviously.