PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting frequency

blownby
06-23-2009, 10:54 AM
What school do you follow or come from? Lately (last yr) I have been doing some form of pull every week whether: conventional, partials, defecits, or sumo speed work , i have been pulling every week. I used to pull about once to twice a month.

Reko
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Has it been working?

blownby
06-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Well, deadlifting once to twice a month & training more like a BB got me to mid, 500's. Deadlifting weekly & more like a PL got me to about 600.

Been stuck now for about a year.....I hope to break this plateau soon.

MarcusWild
06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I do a deadlift variation 1-2 times a week (every ME and DE day). If I don't deadlift on a ME or DE day, then I do GMs.

blownby
06-23-2009, 11:23 AM
I do a deadlift variation 1-2 times a week (every ME and DE day). If I don't deadlift on a ME or DE day, then I do GMs.

Do you do legs on a totally separate day than deadlift? Or do you mix your DE deads with ME squat?

I quess this should have been part two of this question.

Lones Green
06-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I'd say do what has been working for you so far, until it stops working!

blownby
06-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Thats just it, ive plateau'd for the last yr. My lower weight for reps is still the same as is my max of about 12-16 mos ago.

The only thing ive seen or felt increased is my lockout strength. So i have been putting a bit more effort into the start.

MarcusWild
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I train squat and deadlift together. Bigger picture it looks like:

Week 1:
ME deficit deadlift and SSB GM 3 x 5
DE squat with chains and sumo SLDL speed pulls

Week 2:
ME GM and deficit SLDL with chains to a heavy set of 5
DE squat vs. bands and zerchers to a heavy set of 5

Week 3:
ME deads on 6" box and one legged SLDL
DE squats with reverse bands and sumo speed pulls vs. bands

Week 4:
Deload which is raw and mostly rep work.

Over 3 weeks I did a deadlift variation in all six ME/DE lower workouts (if you count zerchers as a deadlift variation). I also never did the same deadlift variation twice. I also try to rotate the type and/or amount of accommodation for squats on each DE lower workout. I don't repeat exact ME movements very often either.

blownby
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Marcuswild

BrockO'Bummer
07-06-2009, 02:04 AM
What school do you follow or come from? Lately (last yr) I have been doing some form of pull every week whether: conventional, partials, defecits, or sumo speed work , i have been pulling every week. I used to pull about once to twice a month.

I pull with max weights 5 days a week... And no, I'm not kidding...

robchris
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Blownby,

I'm like Dave Tate when it comes to DL frequency... I pull every week but everyone is different and it depends largely on your build. (ie long arms, short torso)Me.

However, if you're not built for DLing' it can be very taxing on your recovery... I have training partners who DL once per month and make good gains. But b/c of thier build any more often than that and thier strength seems to regress and they plateau very quickly.

Just my 2-cents
RC

UncleAl
07-08-2009, 03:38 PM
My mantra is "Everything works; nothing works forever". I find this especially appropriate for deadlifts. I've had success with Brad Gillingham's routine, where you alternate weeks off the floor with pulling off a power rack; however, I also had a great cycle last year using a deadlifting wave routine. I will say that when I pull off the floor every week, my CNS gets toasted pretty quickly (even with a wave) if I don't do a major deload every fourth week, but that might be because I'm old.

Ryan Bracewell
07-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I do some kind of DL from the floor once a week. Some time its heavy weight, and some time its light with bands.

evilxxx
07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I pull every week at least 2wice a week.

Pete22
07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I'll usually pull a heavy deadlift or deadlift variation once a week, and then speed pulls on DE day.