PDA

View Full Version : speed and size

bdpowerman
06-23-2009, 10:27 PM
hey, ive always been a fast athlete, 4.3 in the 40and 10.7 in the 100 but ive never been big. im tryingto combine size strength training and speed workouts but im a little concerned about it can anyone recommend a prgram that can give me speed and size

slashkills
06-25-2009, 10:24 AM
4.3 40yard! holy cow your fast. Gaining mass/weight will most likely make you slower. If your looking to get stronger and bigger joe defranco's westside for skinny bastards is a great program. It is a strength training routine with speed and plyometrics worked in on off days. I think that is your best bet.

Tom Mutaffis
06-25-2009, 11:25 AM
What is your current height / weight?

A lot of olympic sprinters would be considered relatively "big" - it is all about putting on quality size though and continuing your running and conditioning in conjunction with weight training.

bdpowerman
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
right now im 5'8" and 154 pounds ive always been fairly strong, i have a 400+ squat and a 290 bench im hoping to get around 165 and add some size to my arms mostly but overall mass would be my main goal

Travis Bell
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Is this for a sport?

What level?

Tom Mutaffis
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Here are some statistics on famous sprinters:

Michael Johnson 6'1 170 lbs - Multiple Olympic Gold Medal Winner in 200M and 400M
Usain Bolt 6'5 190 lbs - Olympic 100M Champion 2008
Walter Dix 5'9 190 lbs - Olympic 100M & 200M Bronz 2008
Donovan Baily 6'0 180 lbs - Olympic 100M Champion 1996
Maurice Green 5'9 1/2 170 lbs - Olympic 100M Champion 2000
Justin Gatlin 6'1 183 lbs - Olympic 100M Champion 2004

As you will see all of the olympic sprinters are from 170-190 lbs, though most are taller than 5'8.

I think that if you can work your way up to a lean 165 lbs if anything you would be faster than you are at your current size.

bdpowerman
06-25-2009, 10:14 PM
football ad track mostly, im at a D3 college
you guys have any workouts or tips to get me bigger/leaner/faster?

WillNoble
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/default.asp

bdpowerman
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
should i be supplementing with a creatine or mass gainer? ive been using just whey protein after my workouts

Tom Mutaffis
06-26-2009, 12:06 PM
should i be supplementing with a creatine or mass gainer? ive been using just whey protein after my workouts

Creatine is a safe, effective supplement. I would purchase "creapure" creatine to make sure that you are getting a good product. You can pick up a 3 month supply for under $15 here -> Creatine 500 (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=3)

Wether or not to use the mass gainer really depends on your diet. Drinking a shake everyday is not going to help you to gain weight unless it is making up for deficiencies. Someone who is 150 lbs only needs about 135-175 grams of protein per day. Along with this you will likely need between 2,500 - 3,500 calories in order to put on size. A good quality weight gainer is a great way to boost your overall daily intake of calories / protein, but a poor weight gainer will just cause you to put on fat.

Another alternative is to simply make a "weight gain" shake by combining oats, egg whites / eggs, skim milk, whey protein, and perhaps some fruit into a blender. There are some good quality gainers on the market as well if you would like something that is convenient. Lookg for a product that is low in fat, low in sugar, high in protein, preferably high in fiber, and if it has a blend of proteins that is best (not just whey).

One tip that really helped me when I was trying to gain weight was to eat a lean protein meal every night before bed. This would generally be either cottage cheese, a can of tuna fish, or sometimes just a grilled chicken breast. The added protein helps fuel your muscles and also keeps your body from getting into a catabolic state while you are sleeping.

Your diet should be focused on whole foods such as:
- Lean meats
- Eggs
- Skim Milk
- Sweet potatoes, brown rice, vegetables
- Protein Shakes
- Whole grain or whole wheat products
- Occasional fruits

Also make sure to drink plenty of water when you are eating a high protein diet and supplementing with creatine. Your goal should be (1) gallon per day along with added water when training outdoors.

Stay away from high fructose corn syrup like gatorade, if you want a sports drink you can purchase powdered gatorade which is dextrose.

Also be patient and set a goal of gaining about 3/4 lbs per week if you are looking to do so with minimal fat gain. Weighing yourself in the morning on an empty stomach is the most consistent time.

Hope this helps - feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss training or additional diet specifics (or simply reply to this message).

bdpowerman
06-26-2009, 09:07 PM
thanks forthe tips, i wat to move to a 3 day split so i have that recovery time a mon wed fri lift and tue th plyo and speed training, the plyos and speed i have alot of possible workouts but i cant find a 3 day split thati like and that will give me the pump and size/speed i want...any help on that

slashkills
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
You could do the westside for skinny bastards minus the DE lower day, you could replace it with running/plyo work. Will posted the link a couple posts up.

Travis Bell
06-26-2009, 10:34 PM
thanks forthe tips, i wat to move to a 3 day split so i have that recovery time a mon wed fri lift and tue th plyo and speed training, the plyos and speed i have alot of possible workouts but i cant find a 3 day split thati like and that will give me the pump and size/speed i want...any help on that

do your plyo and speed work on your dynamic effort day

fpr
06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Tom, what type of speed work do you do? I'd imagine you must have to be pretty fast for strongman.

Brendonia12
10-28-2009, 11:32 AM
damn, that's riddiculous. 4.3 40 metre dash AND 400+ squat at 154 pounds?

jed
11-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't doubt him, look at his profile picture thing. Our school had a 5'10" 194 lb sprinter that ran a 4.41 (at a combine, so it's legit) and a 10.89 100 at the state track meet. He squatted 445 and benched 345, which I have witnessed.

Bmxstrong
11-07-2009, 01:57 PM
doing your speed work on your dynamic day or before your max effort would be optimal...

that would nt hinder growth and you would lose that sick explosive power