PDA

View Full Version : Did powercleans for the first time today

manboobz
06-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Ok so i tried powercleans for the first time today and found them easy. I pretty much reversed curled 135lbs for 10 easy reps and 3 sets. Without using much leg involvement at all, and im a tall skinny ecto. 6ft1 210lbs. I did them on "back day"

I am mainly doing them to improve deads.

My question is is there a fine line between them being easy and hard. How much noob gains can i expect with them? Because from seeing other's PRs it is a lot less than squats and deads. Will i be able to do the 225s pretty soon?

Auburn
06-24-2009, 07:07 AM
If you reverse curled them, that's not a power clean.

Xellarz
06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok so i tried powercleans for the first time today and found them easy. I pretty much reversed curled 135lbs for 10 easy reps and 3 sets.

How is any lift easy? Doesn't that mean you weren't using enough weight? And if you meant the form wasn't as hard as you expected - why did you do them incorrectly?

brihead301
06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
There's 3 main parts to the power clean:

1.) The deadlift off the floor
2.) The power shrug (I think it's also called the triple extension)
3.) The rack (where you catch it on the front of your shoulders)

A reverse curl has none of those. Learn to do them. Read SS for a good explanation, and watch videos. Also, record yourself doing them, and put them either on here or on Rippetoe's forum for critique. Form is KEY with power cleans.

isaku900
06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
There's 3 main parts to the power clean:

1.) The deadlift off the floor
2.) The power shrug (I think it's also called the triple extension)
3.) The rack (where you catch it on the front of your shoulders)

A reverse curl has none of those. Learn to do them. Read SS for a good explanation, and watch videos. Also, record yourself doing them, and put them either on here or on Rippetoe's forum for critique. Form is KEY with power cleans.

err...

1st pull
2nd pull
triple extension
rack

brihead301
06-24-2009, 02:03 PM
My bad. I always thought the 2nd pull was called the triple extension, but I guess the triple extension is the point where the bar moves from the mid-thigh to the rack position.

Auburn
06-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Triple Extension is just the finish of the 2nd pull.

manboobz
06-24-2009, 06:00 PM
LOL.... how long to the noob gains stop with powercleans? and is there a fine line between easy and hard weight?

Jesse Hernandez
06-24-2009, 06:07 PM
LOL.... how long to the noob gains stop with powercleans? and is there a fine line between easy and hard weight?

gains are different from person to person. I could give you a bull**** answer like 4 weeks, but who knows? Only you can figure that out.

Fine line? LOL wtf..... heres how I think of it.

Easy weight
Medium weight
Heavy Weight
HEAVY ****ING WEIGHT

Or you could think of them as hot sauce packets, like taco bell, the easier the weight, the least amount of heat in your packet. Either way, both are for you to decide. I mean... 250 on powerclean for me is medium weight, and for some its easy weight, so again.... its up to you.

Xellarz
06-24-2009, 07:15 PM

What the hell are you even asking?

How long noob gains last depends on how hard you push yourself and how quickly you learn technique and things like that.

A fine line between easy and hard? What the hell are you asking? You're never gonna have a "grinder" on cleans...

manboobz
06-24-2009, 08:40 PM
What the hell are you even asking?

How long noob gains last depends on how hard you push yourself and how quickly you learn technique and things like that.

A fine line between easy and hard? What the hell are you asking? You're never gonna have a "grinder" on cleans...

LOL you dickface...

have you been taking at large supplements again?

i mean i train with ripptoe sometimes and even he points this out

Jorge Sanchez
06-25-2009, 07:40 AM
If you get someone to teach you how to clean properly, you could improve your numbers very quickly through improved technique. That said you might not be able to clean 210 with proper form right off the bat.