PDA

View Full Version : Got a humiliating question to ask ...

Iron Disciple
06-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Yesterday, I was doing some Deadlifts. On my last rep ( I was doing this particular set without a belt on, if that means anything ), I felt a slight " twinge " in my lower back on the left side. I didn't think very much of it ( how very stupid of me ) at the time so I cranked up the weight 60 lbs or so, so I could finish my last set. Well, I finished that set ( with a belt on ... and the weight felt very light as well, I should add ) and went home. That whole evening I had very mild discomfort ... I was walking around normally as I always do, however, when I woke up at 3am this morning I could barely walk. I had to get my gf to help me to the toilet. She told me to get down on my back and try to touch my chest with my knees ( which I did with ease ). I got back up and could walk upright again ( with some pain, obviously, in my lower back ). Today I've been fine walking-wise, however, I still have this severe pain in my back. I can bend over and touch my toes ... bending to the side hurts a bit ... a bending over halfway tends to hurt quite a bit. Now I know you guys aren't doctors ( and I know I should see one, however, I don't have any health insurance ) but I could sure use some help ! Right now, I'm taking pain relievers and ice treatments for my lower back. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks, guys !

isaku900
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
sounds like you tweaked it and/or are really really sore.

i feel pretty much the same after an ME Deadlift day, or a meet. it usually takes like 72 hours to start feeling better. if its still bad after three days (when ice starts to become ineffective), you should consider going to a chiro or a PT or a doctor.

slashkills
06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
If touching your knees to your chest helped some it could be from lack of flexibility. Try doing some light hamstring and back stretches. If it hurts stop. And yes you should see a doctor if possible.

SMK41
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I've tweaked my back doing DLs before and I just avoided doing any exercises that would strain that part of my back for a week or 2 and then started back with a lighter weight and built back up to what I was previously lifting. It probably set me back about 4-6 weeks total between recovery and then gradually building the weight back up.

You need to be really careful with deadlifts though. I've hurt myself 2 maybe 3 times doing them in the past and everytime it wasn't on my max set. I'd be doing one of my heavier warm up sets while ramping up to my working sets and I get so anxious to get to the heavier weight that I'll get a little careless with my form and hurt something.

=Travis=
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I've tweaked my back doing DLs before and I just avoided doing any exercises that would strain that part of my back for a week or 2 and then started back with a lighter weight and built back up to what I was previously lifting. It probably set me back about 4-6 weeks total between recovery and then gradually building the weight back up.

You need to be really careful with deadlifts though. I've hurt myself 2 maybe 3 times doing them in the past and everytime it wasn't on my max set. I'd be doing one of my heavier warm up sets while ramping up to my working sets and I get so anxious to get to the heavier weight that I'll get a little careless with my form and hurt something.

I agree.

I've done it. Take some time to rest and come back slowly and with good form. Work on your form. I had a doc tell my it was from tucking tail in the squat and finally the back has just had enough.

Sensei
06-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Don't do anything that is going to cause back flexion for a while. Ice. Rest.

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2008/07/squats-lower-back-pain-part-ii.html

Iron Disciple
06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the advice guys ! I certainly appreciate it ! I'm worried though because next month's my first Powerlifting meet ... I guess we'll see how things go though. :(

chris taylor
06-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey man you prolly popped your Sacroilliac joint out due to tight hip flexors.
Stretch out your hips and hams as well as the double knne to chest you spoke about hold each position for a 15 count and repeat 4 times each If you dont know any of the above stretches go to you tube and search....

C T

Iron Disciple
06-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey guys ! Thought I'd throw out an update. I woke up this morning feeling the same exact way I did the previous morning ! I could barely walk ! I did some light stretching ( just so I could get to fridge for some Milk ! LOL ! ) and was good to go again. Funny thing is this ... all afternoon and evening yesterday I was able to bend to the side ( something I could NOT do without pain that morning ) and jog a bit. It seemed as if I was getting better throughout the day ... kind of like today as well ... it's just those mornings that kill me ... granted, it hasn't even been a full two days of recovery yet. With that being said, I feel a bit better ... I still have tightness ( extreme at times ) in my lower back as well as pain ... but nothing compared to what it feels like in the morning. I will be seeing a Chiro and/or Doctor is this persists. Thanks again for the help, guys ! I really appreciate it !

God, I hate being a newbie ! I've got so much to learn in Powerlifting ! LOL !

slashkills
06-25-2009, 10:28 AM
If you bend over could you touch your toes? Dont do it now if your hurting but when your feeling up to it, try it. If you cant your hamstrings are tight and that can cause back pain. I had real bad back pain similiar to yours last year. My hamstrings were so tight that they were pulling on my hips and back muscles causing my pain.

Iron Disciple
06-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Back Update :

Went to the Doc's. Told me I had " Acute Lumbar Strain " and prescribed me Valium and Vicodin ... which seems to help me out. My back is still a bit painful but I am able to walk around ... finally ( considering I was bedridden all day yesterday ) !!! Looks like I might be skipping my speed week this coming week, however. Other than that, I'm looking forward ( keeping a close eye of my back, of course ) to training again ! God, I miss lifting weights and it's only been 3 days !!! :( :( I just have it in my mind that I'm going to compete next month regardless ! I WILL be at that show ! At least that's my objective and the only thing that's driving me right now. Thanks again guys for your help !

- Iron Disciple

Brad08
06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Back Update :

Went to the Doc's. Told me I had " Acute Lumbar Strain " and prescribed me Valium and Vicodin ... which seems to help me out.

Geesh. This is a bit of a rant, but this is a BIG problem with going to see a 'doctor.' You need to go see someone who can diagnose your lifting mechanics and motor patterns, imbalances, inflexibilities, etc. Not simply say "you hurt your back, take some drugs." That won't prevent the problem from recurring. A good therapist CAN.

WHAT CAUSED YOUR PAIN AND WHAT CAN YOU DO TO AVOID IT??? A good 'doctor' should be able to help you, not simply numb the pain through prescription drugs.

Iron Disciple
06-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Geesh. This is a bit of a rant, but this is a BIG problem with going to see a 'doctor.' You need to go see someone who can diagnose your lifting mechanics and motor patterns, imbalances, inflexibilities, etc. Not simply say "you hurt your back, take some drugs." That won't prevent the problem from recurring. A good therapist CAN.

WHAT CAUSED YOUR PAIN AND WHAT CAN YOU DO TO AVOID IT??? A good 'doctor' should be able to help you, not simply numb the pain through prescription drugs.

Much agreed ! And a great post at that !

It feels good to be able to walk around again ( knock on wood ) ! And my lower back is feeling quite a bit stronger ( again, knock on wood ) ... I think I'm going to head to the gym tomorrow ( seeing as how this is my deload week ) and give her a shot ... obviously, play it smart though. I'm definitely going to look into seeing a therapist though. Thanks again guys !

=Travis=
06-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't rush into weight when you get to the gym this week. Take it slow and work on technique using light weight to rehab.

rbtrout
06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm lucky on the doc front, a good friend of mine (and fellow lifter) is my chiro. He knows how I train and asks questions accordingly.

Take it slow, the last time I had that happen, light lifting and lots of stretching (and time) took care of the problem.

robchris
06-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Iron,

Lower back injuries are no joke man... They also take longer to recover/ heal. Take at least 2-weeks off DL's and just go light w/ all other training. Your body will let you know when you're ready. Like brad said, have an experinced guy check your form so you can correct potenial form/ mechanics problems to lesson the chance of re-injury!

BTW, there's alot of good videos and instruction on-line if you dont have a PL'er to personally advise you... Or better yet post a video!

Good luck bro!

Iron Disciple
07-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey, I appreciate it all the feedback guys ! Really, I do ! Hell, I didn't even think you guys were still reading this thread ! LOL ! At any rate, I can still bench ... that's no problem at all. I can even still do the assistance exercises. I tried squatting yesterday ... and that's where I encountered some issues. I was supposed to work up to 370 lbs for my speed sets, however, I couldn't get past 225 lbs ... only because when I went to lock it out and walk it out the strain on my lower back ( left side ) was just too much to handle ... unfortunately, I had to put it back. I did do some back raises though and light stretching. Currently, the Doc has me on Demeral ( sp. ? ) and Naproxen ( sp. ? ) ... it does seem that more and more each day I'm able to walk for longer periods of time without as much pain as the previous day ... I just still have tightness in my lower back from time to time ( especially in the mornings ). At any rate, I'm still staying positive and remaining focused. I told the nurse that I'm working hard to compete next month ... and her reply ( sarcastically, of course ) was, " Good luck ! ". And to tell you the truth, I don't know whether or not I'll be able to compete next month ... but I'm sure as hell going to try. What sucks most ( and I'm not trying to be egotistical in anyway ) is the raw records in my class ( 275 lb )for my state are weights that I usually warm-up with ... that's the real bummer ! As a pretty spiritual person, I'm trying to understand the lesson in this ... but I can't quite comprehend it ... and it's pretty depressing at times. At any rate, thanks for the support fellas and I appreciate your replies !

God, I miss lifting heavy weight ! :(:(:(

Sensei
07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Please take this in a constructive manner but you are an idiot if you are trying to do training of any consequence while taking muscle relaxants.

If you have a lower back issue that is throwing you off, even slightly, it can mean big problems down the road to your hamstrings, knees, shoulders (and of course your lower back) if you don't give it time to heal.

I've posted links about lower back issues so often that I'm getting blue in the face... Please do some searching.

Injuries can be the worst for training motivation... They can also be the best believe it or not. With discipline and patience, you can come back better than ever from the experience.

=Travis=
07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
When I meant take it slow, I meant real slow. As in try squatting with 135, then maybe 185 for a lot of reps. I dont know what your max squat is but you need to be taking it much slower. I'm talking like 25% max type stuff. I had a good calf injury and took like 6 weeks off. When I came back I do not think I squatted past 135. I'd do sets of 20. Next week sets of 20 with 135, then sets of 20 with 185. It took quite some time to come back, months. It took me 6 months before I squatted over 500 again.

And do not lift while taking any of the drugs you've mentioned, demeral, vicodin, valuim.

Iron Disciple
07-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. It just sucks being sidelined. This, more than likely, will be my last post in this thread. Not because I'm taking offense to anything that's being said, but because I'm afraid my ego is doing most of the typing. I've learned a valuable lesson in this injury ... I just wish It wouldn't have come at this time in my life. Oh, well. Take care, fellas and I will definitely take your ( everyone that has offered ) advice. Thank you.

Ryan Bracewell
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Yesterday, I was doing some Deadlifts. On my last rep ( I was doing this particular set without a belt on, if that means anything ), I felt a slight " twinge " in my lower back on the left side. I didn't think very much of it ( how very stupid of me ) at the time so I cranked up the weight 60 lbs or so, so I could finish my last set. Well, I finished that set ( with a belt on ... and the weight felt very light as well, I should add ) and went home. That whole evening I had very mild discomfort ... I was walking around normally as I always do, however, when I woke up at 3am this morning I could barely walk. I had to get my gf to help me to the toilet. She told me to get down on my back and try to touch my chest with my knees ( which I did with ease ). I got back up and could walk upright again ( with some pain, obviously, in my lower back ). Today I've been fine walking-wise, however, I still have this severe pain in my back. I can bend over and touch my toes ... bending to the side hurts a bit ... a bending over halfway tends to hurt quite a bit. Now I know you guys aren't doctors ( and I know I should see one, however, I don't have any health insurance ) but I could sure use some help ! Right now, I'm taking pain relievers and ice treatments for my lower back. Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks, guys !

I know some may disagree with me, but if doing DL disables you to the point that you can barely walk then you are doing something wrong. If it was just bad muscle soreness then it could just be bad DOMS, but that is not what it sounds like. I have done many different thinks to train my DL including maxing 3 weeks a months, max reps with 80 & 90% of max, and everything in between and have never experienced what you did from DL. Now I have experienced similar situations, and they were all caused by losing form during an exercise.

robchris
07-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. It just sucks being sidelined. This, more than likely, will be my last post in this thread. Not because I'm taking offense to anything that's being said, but because I'm afraid my ego is doing most of the typing. I've learned a valuable lesson in this injury ... I just wish It wouldn't have come at this time in my life. Oh, well. Take care, fellas and I will definitely take your ( everyone that has offered ) advice. Thank you.

Iron,

Thats a good attitude brother... I got injured before a raw bench meet & had to drop out after 3-months of prep. Talk about PO!!!

Get rest and recover... You will come back stronger!

RC

Iron Disciple
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
I know some may disagree with me, but if doing DL disables you to the point that you can barely walk then you are doing something wrong. If it was just bad muscle soreness then it could just be bad DOMS, but that is not what it sounds like. I have done many different thinks to train my DL including maxing 3 weeks a months, max reps with 80 & 90% of max, and everything in between and have never experienced what you did from DL. Now I have experienced similar situations, and they were all caused by losing form during an exercise.

That's what happened, my friend. I was warming up with 495 when I got out of groove ... I hyperextended too far back at the lockout ... felt something on my left side compress ... I should've been wearing a belt, too ... but I never had in the past .... * sigh * Hell, I was in so much of a hurry to get to my final set that I lost focus. Oh, well ... I've certainly learned a very valuable lesson ... a very painful one at that, too.

Iron Disciple
07-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Iron,

Thats a good attitude brother... I got injured before a raw bench meet & had to drop out after 3-months of prep. Talk about PO!!!

Get rest and recover... You will come back stronger!

RC

I feel ya, brother ! And it's good to know ( and I certainly mean NO disrespect ) that someone else's been in my situation, too. At any rate, I'm going to keep my head up, play smart, and keep training ... using my head a little more this time, obviously. :)

Sensei
07-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Iron,
We've all been there. Be patient.