PDA

View Full Version : The Pit - MMA Training DVD

KoSh
06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I've been wanting to begin to train MMA, but money is an obstacle.

I'd like to be able to do the MMA training at home, (so not the actually fighting part, just the techniques and conditioning aspects), but I don't want it to conflict with my weight training too much. (I know it will a bit)

Someone recommended "The Pit" DVDs to me. Does anyone have any experience with these? I have no equipment... So I'd have to stick to the BW stuff...

Any recommendations?

Y2A
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey man,
I've been training in BJJ and Muay Thai for about 6 months. Would you be training with a partner? If so, I'm sure a DVD with techniques (I'm not sure which ones are good or about "the pit") could teach you quite a bit. All you would need for equipment is really just gloves and a mouthpiece to practice stand-up, just a mouthpiece to grapple. If you don't have someone to train with, I really don't know how you'd be able to learn much. I'm not saying it can't be done though.

fitnhealthydad
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
If you don't have someone to train with, I really don't know how you'd be able to learn much.

^^THIS.

Do you have any experience at all with training in any type of martial style? If you're serious about doing it, you need a trainer. Even if it's just someone there to critique your form in the beginning rather than a full-on, expensive trainer.

Throwing punches sounds like a pretty simple thing and maybe it is for street-fighting but, if you really want to learn how to use your body properly and to maximum benefit (a la MMA), you need to work with a human being. Jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts, rear-hand strikes, entry strikes, front-leg kicks, stances...the list goes on....All of these moves need to be developed over time not just as individual strikes, but as components of your overall arsenal that can be called upon in a split-second's notice without hesitation and without sacrificing effectiveness due to bad form/delivery.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Y2A about only needing gloves and a mouthpiece to train. Speed-bags, heavy-bags, focus-mitts, makiwara boards...these tools are vital to developing striking skills as they're the only way your body can learn how to react to the mechanics of landing a blow. I can't tell you how many guys I've seen over the years fracture their wrists on a heavy-bag because they shadow-boxed a lot and thought they knew what landing a punch was all about...until they actually hit something!

Now, if you're just looking to be a better overall brawler, then you can probably learn all you need from a DVD (and, yes, the PIT series is actually a good place to start) but, again, if you really want to develop your body and your skills as a fighter, then I would definitely recommend working with someone.

KoSh
06-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys.

I would be more concerned with my actual fighting skills if I didn't live in NYS. MMA fighting is illegal up here.

So for now, brawler would suffice.

Awesome replies... Thanks for all of the information... If MMA is ever legalized here I may have to actually start training for it.

Y2A
06-24-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree with Y2A about only needing gloves and a mouthpiece to train. Speed-bags, heavy-bags, focus-mitts, makiwara boards...these tools are vital to developing striking skills as they're the only way your body can learn how to react to the mechanics of landing a blow. I can't tell you how many guys I've seen over the years fracture their wrists on a heavy-bag because they shadow-boxed a lot and thought they knew what landing a punch was all about...until they actually hit something!

Good point, I was thinking that with gloves he could spar with someone for the striking, but the heavy bag would be especially helpful since you could hit it with a lot more power than you would normally use in sparring.

To the OP - More than likely someone you know would be willing to train with you. If I had someone ask me to train before I started taking classes, I would have been all over it. MMA is a lot of fun, enjoy it :hello:

bassboy
07-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys.

I would be more concerned with my actual fighting skills if I didn't live in NYS. MMA fighting is illegal up here.

So for now, brawler would suffice.

Awesome replies... Thanks for all of the information... If MMA is ever legalized here I may have to actually start training for it.

Not for long. MMA will most likely be legalized very soon. The Indian reservations always have fights, plus you can fight in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Its tough to learn solely from a dvd. I'm sure the dvd's are useful for someone to supplement their training, but in the end you need people to train with. Sparring and rolling are very important.