PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Diet + Supplements

McLaughlin
06-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone, I've been doing some reading on here through the search feature and this Warrior Diet sounds really good to me.

I just wanted to get some feedback or input from anyone that might be on it currently or that has been on it in the past with good (or bad) results.

I also wanted to clarify a few things.

1. They say you have an 8 hour "feeding time" Does that mean you can eat multiple times durring that? or is the idea that you have 8 hours in which to eat your 1 big meal of the day?

Example: Feeding period = 4pm-12am, would you maybe eat 2-3 meals durring that time, or would you workout at such a time that you eat one big post workout meal durring that time and call yourself good to go until the next day?

2. What type of supplements would you (or have you) used for or durring this type of diet? Would a fat loss stack be a good "combination" since this diet is supposed to promote fat loss, or would it not even matter since you'd be losing fat/weight anyway, that you could maybe just go with any stack or supplement type.

3. Do you eat less on rest days? Like if I worked out M W F (which is essentially what I do, except for me it's T, Sa, M) would you eat less on the other days of the week? Example: if I eat 3500 calories on my workout days, then maybe I'd only eat like 2000 or 2500 on non-workout days? Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. Like I said I searched around and read a bit but just wanted to clarify a few things before I actually gave it a shot.

Tom Mutaffis
06-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Can you post up a link to the diet or some additional information? I am not familiar with the "Warrior Diet"...

Auburn
06-25-2009, 07:55 AM
Did Ori open his eating window to 8 hours in the latest version of the book? It used to be four hours. Either way, you can eat however many times you please within that period.

McLaughlin
06-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Can you post up a link to the diet or some additional information? I am not familiar with the "Warrior Diet"...

You can google search warrior diet and find the site for it, otherwise check out the book "The Warrior Diet" by Ori Hofmekler

(sorry don't have any links at the moment)

Did Ori open his eating window to 8 hours in the latest version of the book? It used to be four hours. Either way, you can eat however many times you please within that period.

Still learning/reading about it, not 100% if it's 8 or 4 yet. (Just got the book last night).

Thanks for the info about # of times to eat, that's kind of what I was hoping would be the case.

cphafner
06-25-2009, 11:26 AM
You can google search warrior diet and find the site for it, otherwise check out the book "The Warrior Diet" by Ori Hofmekler

(sorry don't have any links at the moment)

People are willing to help (and Tom is a great resource), but you can't expect people to jump through hoops to help. I suggest finding a link and posting it up.

Auburn
06-25-2009, 11:33 AM
The Warrior diet is terribly simplistic: 4 hour eating window per day. He allows for "live" food (fruit, some vegetables) during the other 20 hours if you have to have it.

It's a simple way to get most people to eat less, just don't binge during the eating window. Follow his eating principles: vegetables first, meat next, starches last. Dessert once in a while. Simple.

Several intermittent fasting protocols have popped up lately (Fast 5, Eat Stop Eat, Lean Gains), but Ori was first.

VikingWarlord
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
I've actually been on it for a couple months and have been enjoying it.

You don't have an 8 hour feeding time, you have a 16 hour fast. This is NOT the same thing. After you're done eating, you're digesting. Once everything clears your system, the fast begins. It's definitely possible that the amount of food you'll eat can last between 4-6 hours in your system. The book doesn't actually give you a set window for eating but I call it between 2-3 hours.

During the day I will have strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, almonds, fresh pineapple, or apples and a metric **** ton of water.

Don't track your intake. I know, it's blasphemy, but it's also unnecessary. Here's the way I've managed to make things work for me so far.

I start my meal around 6PM with a huge salad. Spinach/romaine/leaf lettuce, tomato, onion, baby carrots, cucumber, green bell pepper, and some lighter dressing, usually a vinaigrette or light Italian. After finishing that, wait 20 minutes. Move to cooked vegetables, usually either steamed broccoli or roasted mixed veggies, then lean protein. I only really eat carbs on workout days and it'll be either quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat semolina couscous. I'll usually have a big glass of milk and wait. If I'm still hungry 20 minutes later, I'll move to my dessert which is usually some mixed berries/tropical fruits, cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, and a little honey, sometimes also with raw almonds.

Eat to satisfaction, NOT until you're stuffed.

As for supplements, I only take a multivitamin and fish oil, haven't bothered with the other stuff in the book.

McLaughlin
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
People are willing to help (and Tom is a great resource), but you can't expect people to jump through hoops to help. I suggest finding a link and posting it up.

I understand.

Here's the link: www.warriordiet.com , for whatever reason it won't load here at work, so I haven't had a chance to look at it.

Sorry about that.

The Warrior diet is terribly simplistic: 4 hour eating window per day. He allows for "live" food (fruit, some vegetables) during the other 20 hours if you have to have it.

It's a simple way to get most people to eat less, just don't binge during the eating window. Follow his eating principles: vegetables first, meat next, starches last. Dessert once in a while. Simple.

Several intermittent fasting protocols have popped up lately (Fast 5, Eat Stop Eat, Lean Gains), but Ori was first.

Sounds good. I like the idea that the one I found/picked came first. Have you tried it yourself?

You don't have an 8 hour feeding time, you have a 16 hour fast. This is NOT the same thing. After you're done eating, you're digesting. Once everything clears your system, the fast begins. It's definitely possible that the amount of food you'll eat can last between 4-6 hours in your system. The book doesn't actually give you a set window for eating but I call it between 2-3 hours.

During the day I will have strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, almonds, fresh pineapple, or apples and a metric **** ton of water.

Don't track your intake. I know, it's blasphemy, but it's also unnecessary. Here's the way I've managed to make things work for me so far.

I start my meal around 6PM with a huge salad. Spinach/romaine/leaf lettuce, tomato, onion, baby carrots, cucumber, green bell pepper, and some lighter dressing, usually a vinaigrette or light Italian. After finishing that, wait 20 minutes. Move to cooked vegetables, usually either steamed broccoli or roasted mixed veggies, then lean protein. I only really eat carbs on workout days and it'll be either quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat semolina couscous. I'll usually have a big glass of milk and wait. If I'm still hungry 20 minutes later, I'll move to my dessert which is usually some mixed berries/tropical fruits, cottage cheese, natural peanut butter, and a little honey, sometimes also with raw almonds.

As for supplements, I only take a multivitamin and fish oil, haven't bothered with the other stuff in the book.

I was hoping you might post, in my searches you had posted in some of the threads I found.

So the idea then is you have 4 hours for eating and 4 hours for digestion, 16 hours of fasting. I think that'll be doable. Is there any special reason you start with all the vegetables before the meat?

You said it's been a few months, have you noticed this fat loss etc that they talk about? Also have you noticed loss in muscle mass? What about overall strength levels?

~~

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's great to get feedback on this. I'm excited to try it out.

PowerBuilder
06-25-2009, 01:27 PM

Unless you are trying to lose muscle mass a 16 hour fast is completely ******ed, constant flow of protein is both muscle sparing and muscle building even if you are on a negative calorie diet (which i assume this is since it recommends starving yourself for 16 hours a day).

Every time i turn my back some new nutter comes up with another weird-arse diet and people buy it.

Auburn
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
The whole premise behind intermittent fasting is that it's not new, and is the best way to health via optimized gene expression. That doesn't mean it's the best road to the jack. It may or may not be true, and as always, there is debate over ancestral diets and availability of food. Bottom line: it doesn't matter. If you like it, do it. If not, do something else.

That said, there is some research looking into AA utilization when taken in a bolus as opposed to steady levels. Most things in the body work like switches with threshold limits. So, it's not necessarily a bad idea just because it goes against Men's Health.

McLaughlin - I've done intermittent fasting of some fashion on and off for years. My overall diet seems to dictate how long I'll stay on it. I have to stay away from breads during the eating period, or I'm screwed. I use it the same way as I do periodic ketosis, sort of a reset button from the modern lifestyle. So, I probably prefer the mental/psychological effects more than anything I see in the mirror.

Edit: Just because I may defend the intermittent eating pattern doesn't mean I can defend Ori. He is very much the 'nutter' of this group of people and is pure bat**** crazy some of the time.

McLaughlin
06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
...McLaughlin - I've done intermittent fasting of some fashion on and off for years. My overall diet seems to dictate how long I'll stay on it. I have to stay away from breads during the eating period, or I'm screwed. I use it the same way as I do periodic ketosis, sort of a reset button from the modern lifestyle. So, I probably prefer the mental/psychological effects more than anything I see in the mirror.

Edit: Just because I may defend the intermittent eating pattern doesn't mean I can defend Ori. He is very much the 'nutter' of this group of people and is pure bat**** crazy some of the time.

Yea not sure how I'd like it for long term, but I'm interested enough to try it for a couple months I think, although if my strength gains suffer I think I may have to figure something else out.

I laughed about that bit about Ori, I agree he's HEAVILY into the spiritual side of it, which comes off as pretty damn crazy. But it's interesting none-the-less... makes for an entertaining read through the book.

Auburn
06-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Fasting/ketosis does modulate the metabolism of some neurotransmitters, so a change in perception or mood is understandable. But, yeah, Ori has a little bit of the Warrior Crazy. He also doesn't like pork, apparently the estrogens in it will turn you gay.

McLaughlin
06-25-2009, 05:26 PM
...apparently the estrogens in it will turn you gay.

I laughed hard when I read this.

KingWilder
06-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Unless you are trying to lose muscle mass a 16 hour fast is completely ******ed, constant flow of protein is both muscle sparing and muscle building even if you are on a negative calorie diet (which i assume this is since it recommends starving yourself for 16 hours a day).

Every time i turn my back some new nutter comes up with another weird-arse diet and people buy it.

A 16 hour fast is not going to magically put you into a catabolic state.

McLaughlin
06-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Tried it today (the fasting) and it worked out.

Eating between 6:30 and 10:30 (today at least) and then going to bed.

Actually on my way to work out right now though so hopefully that goes well.

Thanks for all the various input, thoughts, opinions, etc etc.

VikingWarlord
06-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I was hoping you might post, in my searches you had posted in some of the threads I found.

So the idea then is you have 4 hours for eating and 4 hours for digestion, 16 hours of fasting. I think that'll be doable. Is there any special reason you start with all the vegetables before the meat?

It's all in the book. Don't do the diet until you've read the book cover to cover AT LEAST twice. If you have to ask that question, you obviously haven't read it once, and if you have, not carefully enough.

You said it's been a few months, have you noticed this fat loss etc that they talk about? Also have you noticed loss in muscle mass? What about overall strength levels?

I've noticed a definite composition shift toward fat loss and this is based exclusively on the fit of my clothes and sets of tape measurements. I don't train like most people here in that I work almost exclusively with kettlebells as my main training method and lead a fairly active lifestyle doing something involving at least light cardio a minimum of 5x weekly.

I have not experienced a decline in my training since starting the diet and have continued to make strength and stamina gains.

I have actually experienced all of the benefits spoken of in the book including increased energy and focus. While there is a lot of marketing gimmick in the book, much of the non-scientific logic makes sense. Comparing human hunger to wild animal hunger makes a lot of sense. A hungry animal is going to have its senses raised and be more alert because it's on the hunt. A starving animal is going to be too weak to be of any use. Finding the balance serves a purpose.

Something else I'll add (it's touched on in the book) is that the fasting window includes the time you're asleep, or at least part of it. The book suggests finishing the meal 2 hours before you go to sleep but I've found it's a comfort thing above all. Because of my lifestyle (job has me out most of the night 2-3 times per week), I just keep my eating schedule within about an hour of the same daily and my sleep schedule is what moves around.

I'll have to relay this message to my muscles since they obviously didn't get the memo and are hanging around after almost 3 months of dieting and training this way.

I realize that this tardass is banned, but for anyone else that shares similar viewpoints, the whole thing is about natural hormone manipulation. It's not about starvation, it's controlled fasting. If you're having a particularly rough day, eat an apple or a handful of nuts and a glass of water. It's just enough to take the edge off but not to end the fast.

WorkOutFreak
06-26-2009, 12:28 AM
This is the way I was taught that your body works.

When u are fasting the body goes into survival mode and stops burning fat and stores as a result it and begins burning muscle for energy.

So why would you want to fast unless u are trying to loose weight ?

Can u actually build muscle and keep it on while fasting for so long during the day ?

Im kinda new to this so please help me under stand better.

KingWilder
06-26-2009, 04:05 AM
This is the way I was taught that your body works.

When u are fasting the body goes into survival mode and stops burning fat and stores as a result it and begins burning muscle for energy.

So why would you want to fast unless u are trying to loose weight ?

Can u actually build muscle and keep it on while fasting for so long during the day ?

Im kinda new to this so please help me under stand better.

Did you read the prior post? This is a method of controlled fasting. It takes much longer than 16 hours to put your body into a catabolic state or even starvation mode. We're talking like 32+ hours of fasting.

Many people have built muscle using this method, it's not a new concept.

Check out some of the results/testimonials on the LeanGains (http://www.leangains.com) site (SFW - some shirtless before and afters)...I've worked with the creator/owner who uses Intermittent Fasting for most of his clients.

VikingWarlord
06-26-2009, 07:52 AM
The only thing I like about the phrase "survival mode" is that it lets me know that anyone using it isn't worth listening to.

McLaughlin
06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
It's all in the book. Don't do the diet until you've read the book cover to cover AT LEAST twice. If you have to ask that question, you obviously haven't read it once, and if you have, not carefully enough.

I've noticed a definite composition shift toward fat loss and this is based exclusively on the fit of my clothes and sets of tape measurements. I don't train like most people here in that I work almost exclusively with kettlebells as my main training method and lead a fairly active lifestyle doing something involving at least light cardio a minimum of 5x weekly.

I have not experienced a decline in my training since starting the diet and have continued to make strength and stamina gains.

I have actually experienced all of the benefits spoken of in the book including increased energy and focus. While there is a lot of marketing gimmick in the book, much of the non-scientific logic makes sense. Comparing human hunger to wild animal hunger makes a lot of sense. A hungry animal is going to have its senses raised and be more alert because it's on the hunt. A starving animal is going to be too weak to be of any use. Finding the balance serves a purpose.

Something else I'll add (it's touched on in the book) is that the fasting window includes the time you're asleep, or at least part of it. The book suggests finishing the meal 2 hours before you go to sleep but I've found it's a comfort thing above all. Because of my lifestyle (job has me out most of the night 2-3 times per week), I just keep my eating schedule within about an hour of the same daily and my sleep schedule is what moves around....

Thanks for the advice. I've only read 2-3 chapters in the book thus-far, so I will take your advice and eat like normal until I've read it through and understand it better. Glad to hear that your workouts haven't suffered. I'm looking forward to trying this.

VikingWarlord
06-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Remember that, while it's easy to get amped up about something, don't ever start doing it without getting all the information. It's like people that try to PSMF without reading the book and then wonder why their lives suck.

McLaughlin
06-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Remember that, while it's easy to get amped up about something, don't ever start doing it without getting all the information. It's like people that try to PSMF without reading the book and then wonder why their lives suck.

That's good advice, for more than just dieting. Thanks.

Also... what's PSMF?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
The only thing I like about the phrase "survival mode" is that it lets me know that anyone using it isn't worth listening to.
It really only applies to emo anorexic girls anyway. I doubt anyone here is starving themselves to death to lose weight... or at least I hope not. :clown:

Also... what's PSMF?
Protein Sparing Modified Fast. It's a type of diet. I'm not too familiar with it, but I'm sure you could search around and find something about it.