PDA

View Full Version : Bench form

BFGUITAR
06-24-2009, 07:23 PM
No matter how hard I try this seems to be the hardest thing to master. Squatting and deadlifting feels very natural... but bench is probably the most unnatural lift I have ever done. Today I worked on form and getting the arch, leg drive, bar placement... just holding the position taxes me.

My issue is simply finding my groove. When I do find my groove im good for a few reps then I lose it and bring the bar down too high or too low... What are some things I can do mentally to keep the bar in the right place? What has helped you keep that groove going? It's incredibly frustrating.

Clifford Gillmore
06-24-2009, 07:26 PM
You can lift your head off the bench and watch where the bar is going when it touches. Benching is supposed to be uncomforatble.

BFGUITAR
06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
You can lift your head off the bench and watch where the bar is going when it touches. Benching is supposed to be uncomforatble.

Is this allowed in the IPF?
Ok good so it's uncomfortable for many lol.

Lones Green
06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Its uncomfortable to just about everyone.

When you get your form down and think everything is right, someone will notice something else. Its pretty much a constantly evolving process.

Jesse Hernandez
06-24-2009, 07:29 PM

No, it is not.

Clifford Gillmore
06-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Not in IPF, but its not to late to jump ships ;)

Jesse Hernandez
06-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Not in IPF, but its not to late to jump ships ;)

OR sink yours.:ninja::outnumber:

Clifford Gillmore
06-24-2009, 07:59 PM
OR sink yours.:ninja::outnumber:

Hahaha! Very classy :)

Jesse Hernandez
06-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Hahaha! Very classy :)

I try.:hello:

robchris
06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
BF,
If its uncomfortable then you're doin something right!

BTW, are you raw or geared? you didnt mention... There's a big difference in the set-up. I just started using a shirt about 2-month's ago & I'm still a work in progress.

BFGUITAR
06-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Right now raw, but I plan on being geared.

MarcusWild
06-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Think about benching. The idea is you want to quickly lower multiple times your body weight to your chest. How is that going to feel natural? Your body is going to want to prevent you from getting crushed.

Xellarz
06-25-2009, 01:36 AM
I'd like to help, but I'm usually very consistent in my bar placement. You're talking where you touch the bar, right? Or are you talking the entire groove? Either way, I'm also curious where you touch the bar.

Brian C
06-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Lift your head in training until your comfortable wth your groove, then train head down

drew
06-26-2009, 05:52 AM
If you're going to compete with your head down, train that way. Get good training partners who know what bench form should look like and they can tel you what to do and what to fix.

mikesbench
06-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Generally if you have difficulty with bar placement (either contorolling it, or maintaining it) it can be improved by training your upper back, lats , and rear delts; unless the problem is just maintainingfocus throughout a set; which seems unlikely.