PDA

View Full Version : Very, very interesting presentation about carbs

dlew
06-25-2009, 01:31 AM
It's long, almost an hour but it's well worth it. Taubes (the speaker) claims to put the calories in/calories out, and other weight management beliefs to rest and says that high fructose syrup (non-fat) is the most effective mechanism for storing up fat. I'd love to hear his position on fruits like berries, which are scary high in anti-oxidents, but also high in sugar.

http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Stew
06-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Hard to really know exactly what to believe. I lean more towards the Lyle McDonald school of cals in/cals out. He does recommend low carb diets for some, and extreme carb load diets for others. And both work for their target audience. Lyle has posted on his forums about some of the very poor references Taubes uses at times, nutrition research from the 1900-1950 range, etc.

PowerBuilder
06-25-2009, 02:56 AM
It's long, almost an hour but it's well worth it. Taubes (the speaker) claims to put the calories in/calories out, and other weight management beliefs to rest and says that high fructose syrup (non-fat) is the most effective mechanism for storing up fat. I'd love to hear his position on fruits like berries, which are scary high in anti-oxidents, but also high in sugar.

http://www.dhslides.org/mgr/mgr060509f/f.htm

Well fructose is actually used to produce insulin resistance (Diabetes type-II levels of insulin resistance) in lab environments so it's a given that a lot of fructose won't be a good thing for anyone.

Don't worry about berries and fruit though, if you don't replace the majority of your diet with berries and fruits you won't have a problem with it, juices is another story since it's concentrated in them (as well as sodas but who asking questions on a BB forum drinks sodas anyway?).

There are also quite a few things that promote insulin sensitivity, most notably Omega-3 fatty acids and ALA along with Vitamin-D.

Funny thing about fructose is that it doesn't raise your insulin levels that much, it has some other pathway (that at least i don't know much about) to do what it does.