PDA

View Full Version : Me & My PowerRack

mojo_
06-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Just bought a powerack, olympic barbell/ weights and bench.

Coming back from a month lay off lost tons of strength and muscle (****ty ecto genetics) hopefully that will come back fairly quick with good ol' muscle memory and then take my body into uncharted teritory.

I'm somewhat fat right now, so I'm gonna try bulk on less than 40 carbs a day and see how that goes....

mojo_
06-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I did my first workout today with my new setup.

It took alot longer than planned because I had no idea what height to set the pins and everything for each lift. I'm gonna use a perm marker and note which hole is used for what lift next workout. Also the bench is not quite the right height for me to have full ROM on some lifts and be safe at the bottom of the rep. So I need to take some measurments cut up some boards and place them under the bench.

I'm doing a simple full body routine 3x a week right now that basically looks like this....

Chin ups
DB Row
Military press
CG bench
Squat
Rack deadlifts

Will continue withe above untill progress stalls.

mojo_
06-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Hit the weights again today for another full body. Added weight to every lift which was kinda expected (muscle memory.) The workout took forever though, didnt help that I had to again fiddle about with pins and everything to find right height for everything... I took a perm marker with me though and labeled all the holes so I can adjust it all to where it needs to be instantly from now on, which will save a bunch of time. Going to time my next workout make sure its under the 1hr-mark.

Current food intake I have worked out to be ~4500kcal, I'm going to take measurements and weight tomorrow morning and make adjustments to diet based on what the measurements say the following week. I will also take some pictures tomorrow night (better lighting.) I need to get some some wooden boards to raise my bench to the correct height for benching, I'll sort that out tomorrow as well if i get time.

Time to go cook a big fat ribeye steak :thumbup:

teeroy
06-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I did my first workout today with my new setup.

It took alot longer than planned because I had no idea what height to set the pins and everything for each lift. I'm gonna use a perm marker and note which hole is used for what lift next workout. Also the bench is not quite the right height for me to have full ROM on some lifts and be safe at the bottom of the rep. So I need to take some measurments cut up some boards and place them under the bench.

I'm doing a simple full body routine 3x a week right now that basically looks like this....

Chin ups
DB Row
Military press
CG bench
Squat
Rack deadlifts

Will continue withe above untill progress stalls.

Work on getting your arch bigger and you should be able to arch above the pins on your bench. So if you fail then you can lay flat on the bench w/out the arch and slide out from under the bar laying on the pins.

mojo_
06-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Work on getting your arch bigger and you should be able to arch above the pins on your bench. So if you fail then you can lay flat on the bench w/out the arch and slide out from under the bar laying on the pins.

Well it's the Close grip decline bench that I'm haveing problems with ROM + saftey wise...and not sure your supposed to arch on that lift? I cut up a board today anyway which is the right height so should be ok regardless now. :)

mojo_
06-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Weekly Sunday Stats:

Weight: 207lbs
Waist: 39.5inches
Gunz: 15.5inches
Thigh:22.75inchs
Chest 43.5inchs
Forearms: 12inches
Neck: 15.5inches - wow wtf my necks the same as my flexed arm measurment lol!

So yea...... skinny fat right now :zipit:

Decided I'm gonna rest-pause some of my lifts during my next workouts because a) I'm a believer in intensity over volume and b) It will cut down my workout times, maybe even let me add some lifts that can bring up some of my weak points. - I think I look like SH1T in a t-shirt because my neck/trap area is under developed and so are my forearms. Going to add BB wrist curls at end of my workout's and maybe some dumbell shrugs/neck curls. Ive done the wrist curls before and saw some gains but I wasnt consitent for long enough. I think what happened was at the gym I was going to I did them dumbell style for a while, but ended up not being able to progress up the next dumbells without form going to ****... and with there only being 2 barbells at that gym I often lacked the patience to wait around to use one of those instead and it became something I'd do now and again. No problem with that now of course, since I workout from home I can curl or whatever in the powerack all I want haha. I usually avoid t shirts and stick to shirts and such but think doing what arnold supposedly did back in the day by haveing his under-developed calves constantly exposed (wearing shorts) it motives you alot more to bring up a weak point when your reminded about it constently.

Diet I'm going to keep at 4.5k for the next week and see how I do, only change Im going to make is eat more red meat, I allways feel stronger when I'm eating a decent amount of that stuff. I need to come up with some low carb ground beef dishes though, since I can't afford the luxery of steak every day. Could really do with a low carb fried egg recipe to since they are dirt cheap quality protein source as as well..

Will take some pictures tonight. Reminds me, need to charge my digi cam batterys.

teeroy
06-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Well it's the Close grip decline bench that I'm haveing problems with ROM + saftey wise...and not sure your supposed to arch on that lift? I cut up a board today anyway which is the right height so should be ok regardless now. :)

Oh, OK. I thought you meant regular bench. Haha.

mojo_
06-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Oh, OK. I thought you meant regular bench. Haha.

Nah, I can't actually do regular benching right now because the bench I got cannot tolerate heavy loads because the metal rod that you use to adjust from incline/flat etc is pathetically weak and I don't trust that sh1t at all with my bodyweight plus a loaded bar. Fortunately in the decline position the bench rests against the frame and doesnt use that rod so I can do decline CG. Sucks because my chest is without a doubt one of my most under-developed muscles and I'm broke right now and can't afford another bench for a few months. I guess I could do wide grip decline bench maybe.... or some how reinforce the bench so its safe when flat.

mojo_
06-28-2009, 12:39 PM
One more change to diet I forgot to note but wont actually be happening for another few weeks, will be changeing to a whey-eggwhite-cassein powder blend for my shakes between meals.

mojo_
06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
wow these tanita scales are absolute BS. I was curious how much my weight fluctuates through the day so hopped on them just now and it said 205lbs....i thought to myself no way have i lost 2lbs today, jumped on again 208lbs....then 206..... it seems if u stand at a different angle it gives you different readings. Pretty sh1tty gonna have to buy some new ones....

Edit: Just tried it again and figured out how to get a consistent reading (same reading 4x in a row) stand on 1 foot like your about to hop sideways across the scales lol..........

RonnyB
06-28-2009, 08:42 PM
wow these tanita scales are absolute BS. I was curious how much my weight fluctuates through the day so hopped on them just now and it said 205lbs....i thought to myself no way have i lost 2lbs today, jumped on again 208lbs....then 206..... it seems if u stand at a different angle it gives you different readings. Pretty sh1tty gonna have to buy some new ones....

Edit: Just tried it again and figured out how to get a consistent reading (same reading 4x in a row) stand on 1 foot like your about to hop sideways across the scales lol..........

My tanita is balls on every time same exact reading, the key is you have to find a level spot in your house and NEVER move it, i got a physical at the doctors and went straight home and found a spot where i weighed exactly the same, the scale has been there for 2 years now. Anyhow, VERY impressive that you can keep your carb limit to 40 and STILL get 4500kcals

mojo_
06-29-2009, 03:29 AM
My tanita is balls on every time same exact reading, the key is you have to find a level spot in your house and NEVER move it, i got a physical at the doctors and went straight home and found a spot where i weighed exactly the same, the scale has been there for 2 years now. Anyhow, VERY impressive that you can keep your carb limit to 40 and STILL get 4500kcals

Hmm I'm not sure if where it's placed effects my reading, will have to check that, thanks. :)

I actually find it easier getting high cals low carbing, because of there being 9kcal per gram of fat vs 4kcal per gram of carb. Just have to abuse high fat meats,whole eggs,olive oil, heavy cream etc soon adds up. How effective this style of eating is for putting on muscle though I am still uncertain, never done it for long enough to guage progress. So far there seems to be some progress though without my belly blowing up like it usually does on high carb.

Off to do final workout for the week in a bit, looking forward to some high intensity rest-pause set ultra pumps! :thumbup:

mojo_
06-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok so todays workout absolutely Destroyed me. I nearly threw up... twice. To be fair though I was on the verge of hurling pre workout. I had a crappy nights sleep and that seems to ruin my appetite and so I really had to force feed down my pre workout meal. Still, I'm not sure that this kind of intensity for so many compound lifts in 1 workout is gonna work. So I may have to cut it in half and redesign my routine. I did manage to keep it just under an hour, but when you know you have a brutal set of squats waiting at the end of the workout you eitha hold back on the lifts prior or are so destroyed when it comes to squating you dont give it your all. I did however manage to add weight to everything again and worked my forearms good with some wrist curls which = progress. :) One slight concern is I have some pain in my left wrist that I think I got from dumbell wrist curls with sloppy form a while back and it refuses to heal.

I'm not sure how I'm going to lay out a different routine. I like hittng everything every 48 hours, I guess I could split the routine in half and do 6 days a week or 2 on 1 off hitting everything every 72 hours. Possibly even do ABAB MWF..... I have two days off now anyways, so Ill give it some thought. :idea:

mojo_
07-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Quick update because I'm real busy right now, weighed in at 208.6lbs waist is down half an inch, arm measuremnet is up quarter of an inch so it would apear I lost fat gained muscle. Calories are up to 5000 a day because I was feeling hungry at times. Changed my routine so that I deadlift and squat 2x a week and everthing else 3x, weights used in my lifts continue to rise.

mojo_
07-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Car died a couple of days ago and had to pay out a huge load of money which means I can't afford to eat enough this week. Sucks had a nice bit of momentum going aswell, oh well I will get back to it next week.

mojo_
07-13-2009, 09:42 AM
wooo, back in business after a week out. Hit the weights yesterday and strength was down some, had to reduce weights back to the workout before last.... which was kind of expected - allways happens to me when I take time off. Hopefully will be able to get a nice long consistent run of progress now.

One small change I am making is a shot of carb and protein during workout, In the form of Waxy maize and some whey.

Takeing some pictures later which I didnt get round to the other week.

mojo_
07-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Weights all went up again today for the same reps with good form. Finally making progress with my chin ups! I am thinking about moving squats to their own day just because i think they may be creating a demand nutrient wise that I cannot reach when they are done along with everything else on the same day hmm....

mojo_
07-15-2009, 05:04 AM
This is ****ed I actually look and feel SMALLER today :confused:

mojo_
07-15-2009, 05:32 AM
I'm changing my routine I dont think doing the whole body in 1 workout using high intensity techniques is a good idea at all. I think its sending my metabolism into overdrive and I can't hit a surplus of calories required to recover. I'm splitting the load into two workouts and alternating them 2 on 1 off and this may change to MWF depending on how I feel my recovery is going.

:strong::strong::strong::strong::strong::strong::strong::strong: