PDA

View Full Version : weight gain during football

wwe9112
06-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Hello - I have a questions: is it usual to gain weight when training for football? We haven't been doing no running just lifting and flex drills(like high knees and walking lunges and stuff like that) I mean have ben eating late but its 9x out of 10 a bowl of raisin brand... Anyhow is this usual? How do I stop gaining it I doubt eating a bowel of cereal 1-2 hours b4 bed will make me gain 10ib in about 4 weeks...?

edit: one last thing... why did out coach say he dont want us doing any protein drinks, createin etc...?

slashkills
06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
First, why are you not running?!?! start running. Short sprints, mix it up between 10-50 yards. Do it by your self outside of practice if you have to.

I doubt all your weight is from fat. Have you worked out before this? If not then its possible a couple of those lbs are muscle.

Fix your diet. Eating raisin brand 90% of the time isn't going to get you stronger. What do you weigh? how about height? Eating before bed is OK if you are working hard during football camp. Protein shakes are important especially if your not getting enough. Based on what you said i guarantee you aren't. protein shakes are fine, ive been taking them for about a year now. If anything ive only gotten stronger from them.

Creatine and other sports enhancement supplements aren't necessary but couldn't hurt. But those supplements wont help if your training and diet aren't in order.

To sum it up

#1) short sprints 10-50yards 2-3x a week. It will keep you from gaining weight and get you in football shape.
#2) look in the diet section of this forum. You should be getting a ton of calories, protein, carbs, and fats. A general guideline is 1gram of protein per body pound.
#3)protein is fine and i recommend it to you because of you current diet.
#4)Creatine and other supps help but aren't going to help you right now.

wwe9112
06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Yea I been lifting almost a year I went from 278-280 down to 235-238 - now I weighed in today at the gym at 245 and yesterday(Tuesday) at the doctors I was 248... I'm short I'm like 5'6ish below is a pic of just took of me I'm not sure if I look what i weigh or not idk... but camp has been going on like a month(firday will finish the 4th week) I'm going to be a tackle btw...

Travis Bell
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
If you're going for tackle, get on those sprints. You absolutely need some speed.

Your coach is stupid on the protein shakes. I have no clue as to why he'd tell you not to drink them. They are good for you!

Work on some box jumps and other explosive activities as well to increase your speed and explosivness.

Really push yourself on the sprints though. That will slow down the weight gain.

Some of the weight your gaining will be from muscle mass, but you may be eating more on your main meals as well as just holding more water for whatever reason.

wwe9112
06-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks you guys - I had talked to coach and he said i can still take the protein drinks but he ws upset that he found out one of the varsity guys(10th-12th grade) had got cought takin steriods... he said so thats why he came up with the rule - he said that a docter must sign a papersaying he knows what im taking and my parents as well and he want sto see when i take it i guess that makes sense :p...

and today i went on the cross trainer with a trashbag and a hoodie and a shirt tomorrow ill weigh and see how much i wegh i wanted to do it today but they where closing and i had to get dressed and what not...

slashkills
06-26-2009, 03:15 PM
That still seems excesive but what ever, as long as your taking them.

wwe9112
06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
That still seems excesive but what ever, as long as your taking them.

taking what?
i dont do roids though if i had the money i would to atleat get rid of the fat i always been over weight and am trying to change it im tired of rejection cause im not a beef cake and not so easy on the eyes so im doing all i can do to get to about 170ish... but im not going to complain: Is createin good? One of my buddies took it and he got really ripped but he was a smaller guy whats good but not expensive as i have to buy all this stuff myself what will help the weight loss or at least fat loss any excersizes or remedy's like trash bagging'it?

slashkills
06-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I was referring to the protein shakes.

Creatine is good, it wont directly help with weight loss though. Creatine improves muscular endurance. So if your trying to lose weight, doing a few extra reps or sets in the weight room will help with that. Atlarge nutrition has a cheap good quality creatine here http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=3
Also here is their protein
http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=16

Sprints are a great way to lose weight and will make you faster. Look into high intensity cardio. Thats your best bet if your doing football because doing things like long jogs/runs on a treadmill or stationary bike will actually make you slower over time. It has to do with The different muscle fiber types.

Losing weight is all about your diet. If you want to lose weight you have to cut back on your overall calorie consumption. Get an account on fitday.com its free. Track all your foods, sweets, and drinks for a week. Average them together and thats your maintenance calories. Once you have that, subtract 20%. Thats what you should be eating every day to lose weight. There is a ton of info in the diet section here. I would really check it out.

Im not sure what trash bagging it is but im guessing its just like wearing a sweat suit. If it is, dont do it. All that will do is make you lose water weight that you gain right back. It will definitely hurt you on the field.