PDA

View Full Version : Push/Pull meet in about a month, and

BigTallOx
06-25-2009, 08:12 PM
I have a push/pull meet coming up in about a month, and lately I feel like I'm overtraining. Probably what put me other the top was 4 weeks ago I added in training strongman events but kept my powerlifting routine unchanged. I've fixed that now, but my question is should I just continue training like I am for the next few weeks and take a week of prior to the meet or should I back off a little now so I don't feel like I'm overtraining for the next few weeks. I guess what I'm wondering is if a week of rest before the meet will be enough. I really love the strongman training so I'd rather not stop that before the meet.

robchris
06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Ox,
IMHO, if you take a week off completly, meaning on PL or SM training then yes, it should be suffice.(depending on your individual recovery)
I'm your age, and I gotta say, I love strongman training too but its real hard to focus on both at the same time.

When I have a meet coming up, I drop all SM training about (2-3) months out. Too much shoulder involvement considering you're benching and log-pressing heavy weights weekly. Not to mention all the lower back stuff!!! I know I couldnt handle both anyway, and put up big numbers together. I think they both require your undivided attention/efforts...

Just my 2-cents... Good luck bro.