PDA

View Full Version : Immediately Post Workout

getting there
06-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I've searched on the forums here and have not really found the answer to my question so I will go ahead and just ask. Is natural peanut butter and jelly and a whole wheat english muffin a suitable meal to have immediately post workout? Or should I just stick with my protein shake?

-Joe

vdizenzo
06-26-2009, 07:02 AM
A shake will get into your system faster. Question for you, why would you have the carbs in a pbj after a workout, but not have any in a shake?

getting there
06-26-2009, 07:10 AM
That is a problem I have. My shakes usually are just straight protein. Is there something else I should add in with the protein? Like a something high in glucose/fructose? Diet has always been my achillies heel with my training. It just sucks.

Trainwreck
06-26-2009, 09:08 AM
If you're taking creatine then you could just use 50g of dextrose, that would spike your insulin so when you consume your protein shake PWO it will still have the accelerated absorption of a shake and the carbs of whatever else you wanted to eat instead.

VikingWarlord
06-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Protein + maltodextrin or dextrose. What you're proposing has very little protein in it (and what's there isn't the most bioavailable) and the fats from the peanut butter will slow down absorption.

getting there
06-26-2009, 09:27 AM
I remember reading somewhere, not sure where, but don't you want in the neighborhood of 40-60 grams of maltodextrin or dextrose mixed with protein?

Trainwreck
06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Yes, to spike your insulin. Like Viking said, consuming fats after spiking your insulin will slow down the absorption of the protein. Maltodextrin/Dextrose + Protein is your best bet.

Skalami
06-27-2009, 06:49 AM
mix in some apple juice with your protein shake its whats the shakes at Golds gym typically use. Also just for ****s and giggles, my father told me my uncle who was HUGE in high school got big on intense weight lifting and PB&J sandwiches post workout. Actually i could be wrong but they mightve just been peanut butter sandwiches. He said my uncle would put about 2 inches of peanut butter between the bread.

VikingWarlord
06-27-2009, 07:50 AM
And now that we have better science, we know why that isn't anywhere near the best option.

teeroy
06-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I like Opticen as my PWO. I has carbs in it already. It has vitamins and minerals to replenish those and provide anti oxidants to combat the free radicals that are released during a workout. Mix it with milk instead of water and you get an extra carb/protein boost. And, it is my favorite tasting protein drink.

DrDudley-Robey
06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Try a quart of low-fat choc milk! Cheap and works well!

VikingWarlord
06-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Try a quart of low-fat choc milk! Cheap and works well!

Works well for what, exactly?

vdizenzo
06-29-2009, 02:16 AM

Uh oh :lurk:

Clifford Gillmore
06-29-2009, 02:22 AM

Agreed. Why not a dextrose/protein mix, since that 30 minute window after training takes in a stupid large amount of CHO and the fat in the milk would essentially slow the absorbtion rate of everything else?

Optimum08
06-29-2009, 07:20 AM
dex/maltodextrin + protein PWO.

VikingWarlord
06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Agreed. Why not a dextrose/protein mix, since that 30 minute window after training takes in a stupid large amount of CHO and the fat in the milk would essentially slow the absorbtion rate of everything else?

I wouldn't imagine there's enough sugar in the milk to make much of a difference but if it's low fat and not skim, there's definitely that probability that what fat is there would slow down absorption.

Not to mention that, I believe, the whey/casein proteins in the milk will take longer to break down and be absorbed than they would if they'd already been separated into a powder. I'm not aware of any research that can back that up but it seems like that would be a distinct possibility.