PDA

View Full Version : Big 2 part question (sorry)

Andre518
06-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Ok today was my heavy day for squats. I am currently doing Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 and really like the program. My 2 questions about flexibility and using belts/wraps.

1) I was wondering what are some good ways to increase the flexibility in my shoulders. When ever I start to squat it kills my shoulders to grab the bar and allow it set in the correct place on my back. Its not until my 2nd or 3rd work set it starts to stretch out some but even then it still bothers. I like to go the collars for my grip but the rack at my gym is not set up for me to do so on the lift off and once I try to do that once it hard for me to roll it down plus it really pulls on shoulder and bothers them. So I thought if I start a good stretching regiment for them it will help me progress.

2) Squats are my worst lift (I have been busting my ass to improve them lately.) today for my last work set I had 350lbs x 1 or more I did it only for two totally RAW. I was pissed so I tried it again with a belt and knee wraps and it went up easier and I got it for another 3. My question is Im training for a meet in Nov. that is a RAW meet and does not allow to use knee wraps I have been training without them. Would there be any advantages to training with them on or doing what I did today and do as many as I can without then some extra reps with them?
I was gonna do some videos today but I was running late and for got my camera.

I know this was a lot but any input will be greatly appreciated.

Ben Moore
06-26-2009, 10:24 AM
For the shoulder google or search on here for band dislocates. We usually do 2-4 sets of 10 before we bench or squat.

As for the use of wraps. Don't do anything you can't do on meet day. Train like you'll compete.

MPB
06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
http://squatrx.blogspot.com/2009/04/daily-stretches-for-health-strength.html

I especially recommend shoulder discolates. Gradually narrow the grip as you get better at it. Instead of two, I find doing one arm at a time to be pretty effective as well.

MarcusWild
06-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I do shoulder dislocates, pec stretching, light face pulls, and light lat pulldowns before I squat. It seems to get everything in order.

I agree with not wearing knee wraps if you can't in a meet. I do think you should wear your belt on your heaviest sets. I think belts are over used (eg, wearing it on all warmup sets), but definitely wear it on the heavy ones.

jbrin0tk
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I agree with Marcus on both his points. I really believe that band dislocates did a lot for my shoulders. In addition, one that made my shoulders not feel so tight is the "sleeper stretch." I'm sure youtube has some videos of it. Really made my shoulders loosen up and feel good when getting under the bar.

Barbaccio
06-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Besides the stretches listed above, are you doing the pinky under grip on the bar? Put your first 3 fingers over the bar, your pinky under. This helps get you a little better rotation on your shoulders to help with the pain.