PDA

View Full Version : Injury question

MarcusWild
06-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I went to the DR for my shoulder. He said I strained my delt tie in on the front side, and I probably partially tore the tendon that makes that connection. He said I should ice, keep it mobile, take Aleve, and in a week or two start back lifting at 25% of my max. USPF nationals is next weekend though... Has anyone done something like this before? My main thing is I don't want to risk fully tearing the tendon. I may just take a token bench and still squat and deadlift.

slashkills
06-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Wouldnt the deadlift still put a ton of pressure on your shoulder? Ive got a slightly torn rotator cuff and deadlifting hurts.

Travis Bell
06-26-2009, 07:13 PM
You could still tear that squatting or deadlifting.

Kenny Powers
06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
that sounds like a really bad idea to compete with that type of injury. any tweak to your shoulder, easily done by squat or deadlift, will set you back much longer than taking the meet off and coming back stronger next year

Sean S
06-26-2009, 07:46 PM
I probably wouldn't risk it either. You are young and have plenty of more meets ahead of you. No point in risking something that could turn into a chronic injury if you make it worse. It train with a mid-40's lifter who is pretty beat up at times. Some of this, but certainly not all, could have been avoided had he taken more time to recover from injuries in the past.

MarcusWild
06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Well this sucks. This may mean no pro-am in August either. This started last week when I tweaked it while sleeping. I must have moved funny and strained it, because I woke up suddenly and in pain. Is the SSB and zercher harness my best bet to train around it then?

bencher8
06-26-2009, 08:49 PM
yeah , it sucks, but my advice is to not lift in the meet either.

At least I know that Im not the only one who gets hurt while sleeping...it happens to me all th etime lol

Rob Luyando
06-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Marcus, Sicne I don't usually agree with Bencher8 or Travis here is my advice. Continue to do ice massage as many times a day as possible. Also try to get a few deep tissue massages to rush the blood to the injured area. If you have access to eletric stimulation use that aas well. And last resort give Louie Simmons a call about using saline injections into the hurt area.

Travis Bell
06-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Well this sucks. This may mean no pro-am in August either. This started last week when I tweaked it while sleeping. I must have moved funny and strained it, because I woke up suddenly and in pain. Is the SSB and zercher harness my best bet to train around it then?

If they don't aggrivate it, yes those would be your best bet.

You may not be out of the pro am, but the meet next weekend would not be a good idea

JK1
06-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Marcus, Sicne I don't usually agree with Bencher8 or Travis here is my advice. Continue to do ice massage as many times a day as possible. Also try to get a few deep tissue massages to rush the blood to the injured area. If you have access to eletric stimulation use that aas well. And last resort give Louie Simmons a call about using saline injections into the hurt area.

I'd really like to find some more information on the Saline Injections I've been hearing about Louie advocating. Does anyone have any decent references (medical text is ideally what I'm looking for) or is just calling Louie the best bet on getting information?

MarcusWild
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Hmm, the only things on the Rob list I haven't been doing are the saline injections and electro stimulation. My chiropractor might be able to help with both. I'll give him a call Monday. I also do a lot of light/no weight movement just to get blood flow to the area. It'd be nice if I can still do the pro-am. Thanks guys!

I'll test out the SSB and zercher harness once the pain goes down some.

DrDudley-Robey
06-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Instead of a saline injection look into prolo-therapy, it has a higher succes rate. You need an Osteopath (D.O.) or a pain management M.D. - Chiro's are not allowed to do injections of any kind. Depending on the injury you may need time off. Call me if you need more information.

MarcusWild
06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks. I'll look into the prolo-therapy.

Rob Luyando
06-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Jessie - Louie is where I got the info on salien injections. I know several guys that have tried it and it worked for them. As far as reference materials on the subject your best bet would be to call Louie and ask him for guidence on where to find research materials on it.

JK1
06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Jessie - Louie is where I got the info on salien injections. I know several guys that have tried it and it worked for them. As far as reference materials on the subject your best bet would be to call Louie and ask him for guidence on where to find research materials on it.

Rob, just so you know.... I'm not Jessie Kellum. JK are my initials and a handle I've been using online for a while. It wasn't until a couple of months ago someone on Powerlifting Watch pointed out to me that Jessie and I were occasionally being mistaken for each other.

Thanks for the information.

Jack.

JK1
06-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Instead of a saline injection look into prolo-therapy, it has a higher succes rate. You need an Osteopath (D.O.) or a pain management M.D. - Chiro's are not allowed to do injections of any kind. Depending on the injury you may need time off. Call me if you need more information.

Looks like I need to do some more reading.

Thanks.