PDA

View Full Version : How much Protein is beneficial at one time?

JinNC
06-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I did the protein calculator over at Bodybuilding.com and got how much protein I need daily. I entered my 'goal weight' of 195lbs when my diet is done (I'm only 7 lbs away!). It came up with 292 grams per day.

My question is: how much can I injest at one time without overkill? In other words, is it possible to take in too much at one setting and it just not help? Hope I'm making sense with this question. :read:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Is your goal weight 7 pounds MORE or 7 pounds LESS than what you are now? I don't know how they came up with 292, not exactly sure what their calculator is calculating.

Anyway, to answer your question... no. There is no set amount. You can eat however much you are comfortable with. I spread mine out over the day though because if I eat too much protein in one meal my stomach starts bitching at me.

depotman
06-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Read the stick on Protein from this site. 250+ seems like a lot.

I usually ingest around 110+.

JinNC
06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
My goal weight is 195 (down from a fat 260). I tried to link the protein calculator, but I an 'too new' to this forum to do so. It's at Bodybuilding.com and the 292 is what I get when I enter 195 lbs. Maybe I'm not understanding how the calculator works.

Let's start from scratch: How much protein should I be injesting daily to maintain good muscle tone, etc...?

Optimum08
06-29-2009, 01:14 PM
http://wannabebig.com/forums/search.php

evilxxx
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
My goal weight is 195 (down from a fat 260). I tried to link the protein calculator, but I an 'too new' to this forum to do so. It's at Bodybuilding.com and the 292 is what I get when I enter 195 lbs. Maybe I'm not understanding how the calculator works.

Let's start from scratch: How much protein should I be injesting daily to maintain good muscle tone, etc...?

I only ingest arround 1g/1lb (190-210g daily) and I've been getting stronger and maintaining my muscle mass with no problem. My body is already used to take 50-60g at a time ..over time your digestive systems adapts to more or less.

Mercuryblade
06-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I did the protein calculator over at Bodybuilding.com and got how much protein I need daily. I entered my 'goal weight' of 195lbs when my diet is done (I'm only 7 lbs away!). It came up with 292 grams per day.

My question is: how much can I injest at one time without overkill? In other words, is it possible to take in too much at one setting and it just not help? Hope I'm making sense with this question. :read:

I've done 100g at a time before, back when I was skinnier and my metabolism was a little faster it was easier, now I like to spread my shakes out throughout the day and ingest them as snacks, 25g of protein at a time., and a 50g shake PWO. There is no hard number for what the maximum amount of protein one can digest at time, it has to do with too many complex variables.

SMK41
06-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I've done 100g at a time before, back when I was skinnier and my metabolism was a little faster it was easier, now I like to spread my shakes out throughout the day and ingest them as snacks, 25g of protein at a time., and a 50g shake PWO. There is no hard number for what the maximum amount of protein one can digest at time, it has to do with too many complex variables.

This definitely varies from person to person, but your best bet is to just try to spread your protein out throughout the day. I try not to do more than around 50g or so at once. I don't think its an issue of whether or not your digestive system can handle it (like will you feel sick afterwards). Its more about how much can your body process and make use of at one time (just b/c you can eat 100g of protein at once and not feel sick doesn't mean your body is using all 100g effectively). Just try to make sure you get some protein with every meal or snack you have throughout the day (at least 10-30g per meal). Then throw in maybe 2 big doses (like 50g or so) of protein per day (ie. PWO Shake and whatever your biggest meal of the day is). If you have a diet which consists of 3 meals, 2 snacks, and 1 shake per day, that will put you at around 200g per day. You can then tweak the amount per meal/snack/shake up or down a little depending on your weight and if you really need to get up over 250g per day throw in a 3rd snack. The most important thing is that doing it this way you spread out your protein throughout the day instead of trying to cram it all into a giant 100g shake.

vdizenzo
06-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I have done 150 grams in a meal. Sometimes I will have 50 grams in a shake and 100 in a meal. I am 300+lbs and shoot for 400 grams of protein a day.

AKMass
06-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Their calculator is telling you to eat 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight. It's a reasonable estimate, but honestly I don't think anyone can answer your question at this point in time. Personally, I think 1.5 grams per lb of weight is a bit on the high end, I like the 1g per lb of weight rule, but I often go over. I've never worried about eating too much protein in one sitting, and I've made good progress. So take that for what it's worth...

Skalami
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
ive seen a ton of articles mention that your body can only readily use about 30grams of protein in meal for muscle building purposes the rest just gets burnt up as calories. And another study where any more then 20grams post workout wasnt that beneficial:

http://www.ergo-log.com/20grams.html

not sure what to believe but im starting to think if you eat healthy, try to consciously get protein rich meals eggs/greek yogurt for breakfast,protein shake or two during the day, ham/turkey sandwich and a meat for dinner you'll be fine for protein intake.

snikez
06-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Just try going for a gram per lb of bodyweight. For example, if you are 200 pounds just go for around 200 grams. Some people believe you should have 2 grams per pound of bodyweight and no one's really sure what the correct amount is, but you should be fine with 1 gram per lb.

Cirino83
06-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Read the stick on Protein from this site. 250+ seems like a lot.

I usually ingest around 110+.

that's about right if you weigh roughly 90 pounds... :hello:

Big Jay
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
lmao

aormz
06-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Arnie says that your body can digest up to 65g's of protein / day. If you get a good 5 meals in like that it's 325gs I'd suggest 40-50 like the others. Also it depends on how you are getting your protein. When you protein sparr, alot of the protein doesnt even develop until after you've digested: take legumes and beans for instance. you could have a meal say around 600 calories, 85 carbs / 35 protein / 20 fat, after your body breaks down the aminos in the legumes and the beans they combine to add another close to 40% So your 600 calorie meal just basically gave you another 10 - 15 grams.

When you eat meat, it's all absorbed after being broke. it's not the same

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah, no kidding.

Adam
06-30-2009, 11:25 PM
as said, everyone's maximum is different, different biology, different weight, activity level prior to meal......its endless.

That being said, my PERSONAL preference is between 40-80 grams per feeding, my BW 180 lbs. Typical day ~300 grams.

From years of experience changing my amounts I've seen best results from 1.5g/lbs+

To each his own!

KarlMarx
07-01-2009, 02:52 PM
ive seen a ton of articles mention that your body can only readily use about 30grams of protein in meal for muscle building purposes the rest just gets burnt up as calories. And another study where any more then 20grams post workout wasnt that beneficial:

not sure what to believe but im starting to think if you eat healthy, try to consciously get protein rich meals eggs/greek yogurt for breakfast,protein shake or two during the day, ham/turkey sandwich and a meat for dinner you'll be fine for protein intake.

I've read similar studies that have cited 40g as a max. It was unclear though if you eat something like casein which digests more slowly, if you could eat more.

Big Jay
07-01-2009, 05:22 PM
anyone who believes crap that tells you an exact number of protein your body can use in 1 sitting e.g. 20, 30, 40 grams etc.... needs to start using their brain.
There can't be a set number for us all because we're all so different.

A skinny 15 year old kid who weighs 115lbs, does nothing all day but plays xbox... his body will use up to 40 grams of protein at dinner.
A powerlifter who weighs over 300lbs, with 4 times more muscle mass than the skinny kid, sits down to dinner after heavy squats and his body can only use 40 grams of protein.
This sounds stupid.

:whip:

Optimum08
07-02-2009, 10:06 AM
The widespread rule of thumb (as a minimum) is 1g protein/lb. of bodyweight. Usually people try to shoot for 1.5g protein/lb.+

vdizenzo
07-02-2009, 10:18 AM
The widespread rule of thumb (as a minimum) is 1g protein/lb. of bodyweight. Usually people try to shoot for 1.5g protein/lb.+

What people usually shoot for 1.5?

Clifford Gillmore
07-02-2009, 11:05 AM
What people usually shoot for 1.5?

SOMEWHERE along the line someone decided it was 1g per lb of BW instead of 1g per lean body mass, so everyone thought they would try for 1.5g per LBM to get to 1g of BW. So now its 1.5g per lb, just another **** up of the internet and all of these experts running around without even opening a text book.

vdizenzo
07-02-2009, 01:26 PM
SOMEWHERE along the line someone decided it was 1g per lb of BW instead of 1g per lean body mass, so everyone thought they would try for 1.5g per LBM to get to 1g of BW. So now its 1.5g per lb, just another **** up of the internet and all of these experts running around without even opening a text book.

That clears it up for me. Now I know who all those people are. There are many sources with various recommendations. I don't know how anyone could say once source is more correct than another. I shoot for a gram a day, that has worked for me. If I get extra in, that's great, but at least 1 gram per lb is a good jumping off point imho.

Sidior
07-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Everyone is different. I would rather get too much then not enough, so I have always aimed on the higher side. Usually 350-400 while cutting and over 450 when bulking and I have extra calories.

TrainHardOrDie
07-03-2009, 07:19 AM
This is a question we've probably all struggled with ourselves as some point.

After years of trying different amounts of protein, I've pretty much settled on about 1.5g/lb of bodyweight as a good number that keeps my hunger satisfied and allows me to hold a lot of muscle on my frame.

It really depends upon how much carb and fat you also eat. I eat low carb year round and my fat is on the lower side too so I really need to keep my protein higher.

Clearly we can use a lot of protein at one sitting, as if you eat nothing but protein, you will be able to survive for quite a while, even if the amounts of protein you eat per sitting are huge.

Interestingly, I have found that if I begin to approach 2g/lb of protein, my hunger shuts completely down and it's been the same for some other people I've trained with who tried it too.

Whenever I'm dieting and want to really keep the hunger at bay without adding any fat, I just take my protein that high for a day or two and it really kills the appetite.

Skalami
07-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Again i have to go back to my fast gains days, i only had one scoop of protein powder a day it was in a gym made protein shake immediatly post workout. I carried a chicken breast with me to work and ate that an hour after my workout. Then lunch subway footlong with double meat. A few dunkin donuts large iced lattes which have about 1 1/2 - 2 cups milk. Then usually chicken strips at dinner which have a lot less protein then i originally thought so thats roughly 1-130grams of protein for a 5'7 16-170lb guy.

Anyways if youre getting enough carbs/fat that will get used as your energy source and the protein will be reserved for muscle building/rebuilding and unless youre on roids or building muscle much faster then the average lifter some other way i dont think you need a ridiculously high amount it just gets used as an inefficient/expensive energy source. Also i think that when your body gets used to excess protein it doesnt necessarily become more anabolic it just gets efficient at burning protein as energy this is just a personal probably wrong opinion of mine.

Their are lots of studies that look at lifters and how much protein they ingest and how much gets excreted and not used, theirs different ways they do these tests and ive never seen one that points to high 60gram meals being used to build more muscle for people vs 30grams.

Youre right everyone's different to each their own (as Arnold said bodybuilding is a personal experiment we do on own our bodies dont do something because its the popular thing to do) ive eased up myself on protein intake and i dont think its holding me back at all. If anything you can put those calories to testosterone raising fat and nutrient rich foods which i think would help you even more then having a 200+gram protein intake. I personally think you shoot for 1gram per lb knowing that you can go a bit less as you eat your meals throughout the day.

KarlMarx
07-03-2009, 08:55 AM
anyone who believes crap that tells you an exact number of protein your body can use in 1 sitting e.g. 20, 30, 40 grams etc.... needs to start using their brain.
There can't be a set number for us all because we're all so different.

A skinny 15 year old kid who weighs 115lbs, does nothing all day but plays xbox... his body will use up to 40 grams of protein at dinner.
A powerlifter who weighs over 300lbs, with 4 times more muscle mass than the skinny kid, sits down to dinner after heavy squats and his body can only use 40 grams of protein.
This sounds stupid.

:whip:

Certainly this is right. But the limiting factor is not your body's ability to use protein before it is turned to fat but the ability of your intestines to digest it. So, although you could use X amount if it were in your bloodstream, your intestines may not be able to get it to you. And, as far as I know, lifting does not increase the size or length of your intestines; it may have an effect on its efficacy though...

KarlMarx
07-03-2009, 09:03 AM
By Will Brink

Many people think you eat some protein, it mixes with some acid or something, gets broken down into amino acids, gets taken up into the body, and everyone is happy.

I wish it were that simple. As with all foods, the breakdown of protein starts in the mouth with the simple chewing of food and the exposer to certain enzymes. In the stomach, food mixes with enzymes and other factors such as lipase, pepsin, intrinsic factor, and of course HCL (stomach acid).

It moves onto the small intestine and then the large intestine.The small intestine is considered the major anatomical site of food digestion and nutrient absorption and is made up of section such as the duodenum, jejunum, and the ileum. Pancreatic enzymes (chymotrypsin, trypsin, etc.), bile salts, gastrin, cholecystokinin, pepidases, as well as many others factors are released here.

The large intestine is composed of the ascending colon, transverse colon, descending colon, and the sigmoid colon, which all play a part in absorbing the nutrients we eat. Sound complicated? It is. Believe me, I am leaving out a great deal of information so you wont fall asleep reading my little column! Suffice it to say, digestion is a very complicated thing and there are many places along the chain of digestion that can both enhance and degrade a persons ability to absorb the foods we eat.

There is no reason to think that among this complicated process that there are not wide individual differences in a persons ability to digest and absorb protein. For some person who is inactive, elderly, and for what ever reason lives with compromised digestion, 30 grams of protein at one sitting might very well be too much for them to handle.
By the same token, assuming a 220lbs healthy athlete is unable to exceed 30 grams of protein in one sitting is neither proven by medical science or even logical in my view.

So what if the 30 gram rule turns out to be true? If we examine some of the more recent studies on the protein requirements of athletes done by researchers from both the United Sates and Canada, we come to some recommended protein intakes that far exceed the RDAs, some times by as much as 225%!

These researchers came to the conclusion that protein intakes for athletes should range from approximately 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight for endurance athletes and up to 1.8g of protein per kg for strength training athletes. For a 200 pound bodybuilder-a strength training athlete-that would be approximately 164 grams of protein per day (most bodybuilders I know eat considerably more protein per day, but that's for another fight and another article...).

Assuming that 30 grams of protein is the most anyone can digest, absorb, and utilize, this person would have to split his intake into about five meals (164 divided by 30 = 5.47). So, given the advice by many people that 30 grams is all anyone can digest at a single sitting, it appears a person can achieve the goal of 30 grams of protein per meal even with the higher intakes recommended in the modern research (assuming they are willing or able to eat five meals per day).

However, if you happen to eat more than that per meal as a healthy athlete I don't think you have anything to worry about. I won't tell anyone. Me, I would suggest you stick to the one gram per pound of bodyweight rule, which often exceeds the research mentioned above.

KarlMarx
07-03-2009, 09:05 AM
This holds some truth for me...past a certain point more protein just = more farts. I certainly do better the more I spread out my protein intake as well. A constant small intake is better for me than huge bombs of double protein shakes. It would be interesting if it were possible to find out how much I could effectively digest at one time.

Skalami
07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
A lb of muscle is roughly equal to 600calories of protein thats about 150 grams of protein. Thats not what it takes to put that much muscle on but if you were to cut off a lb of muscle from someone thats the caloric value of it. Most people can put on 1lb of muscle in a month unless youre new to the game or on roids. So 150grams of protein in extra muscle a month. Theirs a lot more involved in the process of building that muscle but i think eating a 160lb person eating 300+ grams of protein is a tad excessive. I dont think if this person was working out hard and just eating 150grams of protein it would affect his gains at all vs a higher protein intake.

hankey
07-11-2009, 07:37 AM
ok.........

Davey
07-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I would say 20-30g of protein per sitting. I read one poster on here saying he eats 150g protein at once. :omg: Protein is so expensive that 150g protein would probably cost like $15, I would much rather not take any chances and eat 25g at one sitting then eat 150g at once.

VikingWarlord
07-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I would say 20-30g of protein per sitting. I read one poster on here saying he eats 150g protein at once. :omg: Protein is so expensive that 150g protein would probably cost like $15, I would much rather not take any chances and eat 25g at one sitting then eat 150g at once.

You make it seem like all of that is protein powder. I'm sure it's mostly real food. 3 good sized chicken breasts is pretty close to 150g.

Also, "per sitting" is a meaningless, bull**** designation.