PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss help...

cdavis50
06-29-2009, 04:12 PM
About 2 years ago I really let myself go..I meet some girl and I just got lazy I went from being about 185-190 to around maybe 260. I have made progress, currently I am 220. The first little bit was easy to lose but now it's starting to get tough. I'm looking to get back down around my old weight..My main goal is to get into the Air Force which the max weight I can be is 195. But anyways this is how I've been losing it so far. My diet-I haven't really been to strict on my diet, just mainly staying away from the obvious bad foods and drinks, not pigging out and not trying to eat to late. I've just been doing it by lifting and really throwing in the cardio, but like I said it's starting to get a little tough...any tips or info to help me out with this?

nockits
06-29-2009, 07:40 PM
eat healthier foods. instead of "haven't really been to strict on my diet", turn it into "I'm really strict on my diet!".
eat smaller portions.
push harder when you work out.

rainersullivan
06-30-2009, 01:49 AM
try this "Eat four times a day, but these four meals are of controlled amounts" the logic in this is that you do not become hungry too often. Eat this four meals with a 3-4 hour interval.

JinNC
06-30-2009, 03:07 AM
I have recently been 'dieting and exercising' to loose weight and get in shape. I began at a unhealthy 260 also and my goal is 195. I am currently at 203 and seem to be stuck there. The key to my weightloss has been a combination of the following:

1)- Eat better foods \ Eat more frequently \ Eat less in amount - Cut out the obvious bad things, drink lots of water. I've completely cut out added salt, all sweets, mayonaise, etc... I eat smaller amounts per meal and I eat atleast 5 times a day which includes what I call three main meals and a couple of healthy snacks. The key here is metabolism. Getting the metabolism in gear to use good food is the main thing with me. Eating healthy every 3 - 4 hours keeps it working all day. Do some reading on 'metabolism'. Also, I don't eat anything after 6 pm!

2) - Combine a balanced weightlifting program with cardio! - I am spending about 1 1\2 hours at the gym currently. I lift weights for about 1 hour and do cardio on the eliptical for 30 minutes following the lifting. When doing the lifting, I try not to rest too long between sets in which I do lighter weights and more reps to get the heart rate up some. I do 3 or 4 exercises per body part doing atleast 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps. Following that, I head over to the eliptical machine, set the workload on 20-25 and go 30 minutes. Many times I can drop 3 lbs of water during cardio (which I begin replacing immediately).

3) - Stay with it! - If I 'plateau' (which I think I have) or if I 'blow it' and eat something I shouldn't (which I have) I just get right back on track telling myself that "This is for Life!" I cannot go back to where I was!!! I want to live to see and enjoy my grandchildren!!!

cdavis50
06-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks jinNC for the info. I just think I have gotten a litte lazy lately but need to get back in gear to lose the rest. I had a temp job that slowed me down some but now I have free time and this is exaclty what I want to do with it is get back is shape. I did use to eat small but more meals throughout the day but I got out of the habit...I remember around lunch time I thought I was about to starve to death. But with my lifting/cardio routine...this is how i've been somewhat doin it but like eating I need to get a little bit more strict...I normally start out with the eliptical for 20 mins for a warm up, then do my workout which varys from day to day. Then after my workout i'll run two miles atleast...so I think really watchin the food and doing this 5 days a week should really knock it out fast.

VikingWarlord
06-30-2009, 09:08 AM
I have recently been 'dieting and exercising' to loose weight and get in shape. I began at a unhealthy 260 also and my goal is 195. I am currently at 203 and seem to be stuck there. The key to my weightloss has been a combination of the following:

1)- Eat better foods \ Eat more frequently \ Eat less in amount - Cut out the obvious bad things, drink lots of water. I've completely cut out added salt, all sweets, mayonaise, etc... I eat smaller amounts per meal and I eat atleast 5 times a day which includes what I call three main meals and a couple of healthy snacks. The key here is metabolism. Getting the metabolism in gear to use good food is the main thing with me. Eating healthy every 3 - 4 hours keeps it working all day. Do some reading on 'metabolism'. Also, I don't eat anything after 6 pm!

2) - Combine a balanced weightlifting program with cardio! - I am spending about 1 1\2 hours at the gym currently. I lift weights for about 1 hour and do cardio on the eliptical for 30 minutes following the lifting. When doing the lifting, I try not to rest too long between sets in which I do lighter weights and more reps to get the heart rate up some. I do 3 or 4 exercises per body part doing atleast 3 sets of 10 - 15 reps. Following that, I head over to the eliptical machine, set the workload on 20-25 and go 30 minutes. Many times I can drop 3 lbs of water during cardio (which I begin replacing immediately).

3) - Stay with it! - If I 'plateau' (which I think I have) or if I 'blow it' and eat something I shouldn't (which I have) I just get right back on track telling myself that "This is for Life!" I cannot go back to where I was!!! I want to live to see and enjoy my grandchildren!!!

Wow. There's some good in here but there's also some real trash.

1. There is no reason that you must eat smaller amounts more frequently. There is absolutely no evidence to support that over larger, less frequent meals. It is 100% a comfort issue. You claim you don't eat anything after 6pm, yet say you eat more frequently to keep the metabolism working. I think you're the one that needs to do some reading on metabolic physiology.

2. For lifting while trying to cut, the most effective plan is short but intense lifting sessions using the heaviest possible weights you can use while maintaining good form. Using heavy weights with intensity is going to preserve lean mass far more efficiently than high rep, low weight garbage. Also, HIIT is more effective for mobilizing fat stores than steady state is.

3. Scheduled breaks or cheats are the only possible way to stick with something long term without wanting to kill yourself. There are massive psychological effects to long term dieting and these things help to dissipate some of those effects. Overall, yes, stick with the plan but everyone needs a break sometimes. If you plateau, it's usually time to change something.

cdavis50
06-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I've always done alright on the lifting and running part, of course like most people I want to lose weight but keep if not increase my strength. I normally try to lift heavy, my first set of something I do ten reps but go down from there and add the weight. My real problem is eating...thats how I ended up like this. So which is better 3 normal size meals or a few small ones through out the day or does it matter. And what certian big things do I need to stay away from and what are the things I need to keep in order to keep my strength and increase?

VikingWarlord
06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
So which is better 3 normal size meals or a few small ones through out the day or does it matter.

If you read my post above, I said explicitly that it doesn't matter. It's about what you're more comfortable with.

And what certian big things do I need to stay away from and what are the things I need to keep in order to keep my strength and increase?

What?