PDA

View Full Version : Jumping after squats

pablonba
06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I was thinkin that if after my entire workout (SS) i do some jumps, like trying to dunk the basketball, i could increase my vertical. What do you think?

Travis Bell
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
No that would wear out quickly.

You need to spend some time doing box jumps and box jumps with weight to increase your vertical effectively

ZenMonkey
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
If I were you Id amend SS so that it looks more like this

All other things in SS except

A:
Power Clean 5x2
Squat
Bench
Row

B:
Plyo Circuit (Depth Jumps w/ dunk attempt x5, Rim Jumps x5, Depth Jump x5, Jump Tuck x5 --- 3 times through)
Squat
OH Press
DL

pablonba
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Do you mean in that order? Power Clean and jump circuits before squats? Why?

And what do you mean by rows? I mean which one because there is a lot of rows exercises.

Thank you very much ZenMonkey.

ZenMonkey
06-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Do you mean in that order? Power Clean and jump circuits before squats? Why?

And what do you mean by rows? I mean which one because there is a lot of rows exercises.

Thank you very much ZenMonkey.

Yes, that order. Technical and fast movements come first because of safety and muscular efficiency. For example, if you wanted to work on Jerks and squats in a single day. You would perform the jerks first because your legs would not be at their full explosive capability after squats. You are just going to have to develop to squat after the technical movements... this is something everyone who practices the olympic movements and plyometrics must come to terms with. Youll get used to it.

Id do BO Rows but you can do which ever you like.

Clifford Gillmore
07-01-2009, 02:01 AM
You could also add in box jumps before your squats as a CNS stimulant, in your workout A - after your warmups.

Goodwinm
07-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Why not go into a jump on the way up from squatting?

Maybe not on your max attempt but any warm up sets. I used to do it but only with front squats. I tried with back squats and the bar kept bouncing off where it would rest.

Brad08
07-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Read Kelly Bagget's articles.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/index.html