PDA

View Full Version : Non-Whey protein?

yowai
06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
I seem to have a milk-anything milk related allergy and can only have whey protein in small doses.

Does anyone have any advice about other non-whey protein supplements? I eat a lot of chicken breasts and fish, but I would like more protein.

I've seen Rice Protein, but I'm not sure if it's ok.

VikingWarlord
06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I've seen goat whey before. It's a lot the same as regular whey except, since it's derived from goat's milk, it doesn't affect people with dairy allergies or lactose intolerance. I think Vyotech is the company that makes Oryx Goat Whey.

dropshot001
06-30-2009, 10:02 AM
if you are using a whey isolate then that is lactose free. there is also gemma (pea), hemp, rice (as you mentioned), and soy proteins.

Mercuryblade
06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Do you get diarrhea or an allergric reaction?

Lactose intolerance is not the same as a dairy allergy.

If you are lactose intolerant, whey isolate has virtually no lactose in it, and allthewhey's concentrate-isolate blend is low enough in lactose, that I can handle it.

There is also wheat protein.

yowai
07-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I don't think I am lactose intolerant since I can eat some cheese and other things like that, but anything with actual milk in it or milk itself makes me want to tear my colon out with pain. Though the violent diarrhea makes me feel better. I've tried lactaid and lactose free milk, but I get the same reaction.

With whey I don't get that reaction and it took a long time to make the connection. If I were to drink more than about 1 scoop per day my throat gets really dry and I get an odd mucus reaction. Three times I've gone to the doctor thinking I had a cold (once I thought the flu) and the medicine did nothing. Of course I came home and thought "hey a protein shake would make me fel better". Then it kept getting worse.

I've tried drinking it with plain water and with soy milk and a frozen banana in a blender. All I can do now is drink about one small scoop in the morning and then get protein from some other source.